Best of the Rest: Pavol Demitra

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
Nice write up on Pavol. (sort of added to the sad feel to the day after Robin Williams however).

Great memories watching Demitra on the ice. Would be very surprised if he made the Hall of Fame, but an awesome Blue and person.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Nice article. There were a couple mistakes(Brent Sutter should read Brian Sutter and Brett Hull has won more than one Stanley Cup), but I like the premise of the series.

I think Curtis Joseph may have a better shot at the Hall of Fame than Demitra, but there's no doubt Pavol had several HoF caliber seasons. When you adjust his numbers he's almost at a PPG. I wish he could have played a little longer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Demitra was definitely one of the more underrated players outside of the hardcore fans. Will always be one of my favorites.

Yoko Ono*

Pavol could light up an under .500 team with the best of them he was entertaining though.

griff713

Mar 25, 2014
Rockland County NY
Pavol Demitra was one of my favorite players, and now is one of my favorite players of all time. I'm not so sure he will get in the HOF, but if he does get honored I will very happy because he was a great player, a classy guy, and him crying after his last Slovak game was really saddening.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think his legend will be fed by his tragic death, and Demitras chances at the HOF are actually better. The voters will be more sympathetic to his case.

timtindall

May 10, 2013
st. louis
My favorite player. The first game I went to from memory it had to of been the day kitchen took over. We played Calgary. I remember Demitra scoring, the place exploded, goal horns roared, and I jumped up and screamed and I guess forgot to breathe. My sight was turning black, and I had to sit down ha ha.
My favorite story was hearing it was the last game of the season. Demitra needed one goal to get his bonus, and Young needed one goal to get his bonus. So near the end of the game the other team pulled their goalie. Demita with the puck along with young heading towards the net. Demitra passed the puck to Young so he could score. That's just awesome to me.
I always had a hope that he would come back with the blues.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
Dude ripped up the KHL at age 35. He was a fantastic talent. Was always curious why the Sens let him go for next to nothing even after he was tearing up the AHL and IHL.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
We never should have let him walk. He was still in his prime and one hell of a player when he left, and he could have helped us a lot still. He got unfairly scapegoated for the entire team choking in my opinion.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
If not the HOF, should his number be retired in STL?

Top 5 in Goals in team history
Top 6 in points
Top 5 in Assists
2nd in Game winning goals

If not retired, maybe something special like what they did with 14 and 5.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I've honestly never been a fan of retiring numbers, but there's no doubt Pavol deserves a special place in Blues lore. I think a lot of people don't realize just how dominant he was for us.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I've honestly never been a fan of retiring numbers, but there's no doubt Pavol deserves a special place in Blues lore. I think a lot of people don't realize just how dominant he was for us.

The next number heading to the rafters better be #44.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad