4-Best Playoff game ever:

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever:

6-Best Playoff forward ever:

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever:

8-Best playoff Goalie ever:

9-Best playoff Coach ever:

10-Best playoff team ever:

11- Best Playoff goal ever:
And please leave a couple of words explaining why you chose what you chose because last thing I want is this thread turning into a grocery list.

Tyler

Nov 9, 2003
Vancouver / Calgary
Visit site
Ill try my best (note Flames bias)

1-Best Playoff Series ever:
Vancouver/Calgary 2004, NY/Vancouver 1994, NY/NJ 1994

2-Best Playoff run by a team:
Calgary 2004, Vancouver 1982, Montreal 1993, Florida 1996

3-Best Playoffs as a whole:

I'll say Game 7 of the Vancouver/Calgary series in 1989 because I want to

Caps/Isles (1987?), Montreal Boston 1979

Claude Lemieux

Too difficult. Scott Stevens? He's great during the regular season, but man, does he shine (when healthy) in the playoffs

Patrick Roy

Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour

Probably say the Montreal teams of the 1970's

Bobby Orr. 'The Goal'. Flying high over Glenn Hall

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky

Wings vs. Avs 1997: the hottest point in the defining feud of the last decade, and good guys won. Honorable mentions to Rangers vs. Canucks in 1994.

1993 Montreal Canadiens: the 10 straight overtimes victories, beating Gretzky in the finals, everything was there for a magical playoff run.

1994. Tons of great series and a spectacular final, completed by one of the most memorable moments of the decade.

Flyers vs. Penguins 2000 playoffs game 4. The best game I've ever seen played, this one had everything you could ask for in a classic.

Ditto.

Duh. #99. Plenty of honorable mentions here, you all know who they are (Messier, Mario, both Richards, etc.)

Larry Robinson: he did everything you could ask for in a defenseman and won a pile of Stanley Cups along the way. Lots of honorable mentions here too (Scott Stevens, Bobby Orr, Denis Potvin, Niklas Lidstrom, Doug Harvey, etc.)

Patrick Roy: as much as I dislike him there's no questioning that he was absolutely clutch in the playoffs and elevated his game more than anyone. Honorable mention to Billy Smith.

Scotty Bowman, no question. Honorable mention to Toe Blake.

1977 Montreal Canadiens: after the best regular season ever, they won the Stanley Cup losing only two games, one of which they are reputed to have lost on purpose so they could win at least one series in Montreal for the home fans.

Jaromir Jagr vs. Chicago in 1992 where he went through the entire team and dragged a bunch of guys behind him to the net before burying the puck.

Last edited:

se7en*

IMO as an Oilers fan:

1987 Stanley Cup Finals. That one is not just acknowledged by me as arguably the best series ever. The quality of the hockey was just incredible.

1988 Oilers - won the Cup in 18 games, only losing 2, an NHL record.

The Ny Rangers run to the up in 1994. It was perfect, the drama, the tension, wondering if the Rangers would collapse because of The Curse, and they won! :handclap:

Game 3, 1997 Edmonton/Dallas. Going into the last 4 minutes of the 3rd period down 3-0, the Oilers scored 3 unanswered goals on Moog and won the game in OT. That game had the best atmosphere I have ever witnessed, ever.

Game 7 of the 1991 Battle of Alberta. Flames opened the scoring with 3 goals, then Tik scored a delicious softie on Vernon, tied the game in the 2nd, and took the lead in the 3rd before the Flames evened the score in the dying minutes. Tiks goal for the hat trick was the series winner - a screened shot past Vernon. Personally the best playoff series I have ever had the pleasure to watch.

Wayne Gretzky.

Actually I'd also have to say Larry Robinson for the same reasons as the above poster.

Patrick Roy.

Scotty Bowman.

The Montreal dynasty of the 70's.

The biggest one that sticks out to me - besides Orr's goal vs. the Blues - is Mario's goal vs. the North Stars.

Chilly Willy*

Rangers vs Canucks
Calgary vs Canucks

In the same year. That's all that matters to me for the best playoff series i have seen, i was at the games too so i saw it personally, one of the best series i have ever had the privellege to be at.

I also like the Penguin's dominance for the '91 and '92 cups and i like the way Carolina squeezed into the finals, they showed heart but were dominated by the Wings.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
For the best playoff runs, I'd say the Ducks in 02'03. Giguere played like a god out there, and they almost beat the powerhouse Devils. The Ducks have my vote.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
1-Best Playoff Series ever: 1994 - Vancouver/Calgary, or 1994 - Vancouver/New York Rangers

2-Best Playoff run by a team: Vancouver 1982, Florida 1996, Montreal 1993, and Calgary/Carolina

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: 1994 or 1993

4-Best Playoff game ever: Game 6 1994 Finals

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: Game 7 Canucks/Flames 1994

6-Best Playoff forward ever: C. Lemieux, or Messier

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Stevens, Foote, or Robinson

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: Roy

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Bowman

10-Best playoff team ever: 1996/97 Detroit Red Wings

11- Best Playoff goal ever: Yzerman on Casey in 1998 I believe....

blamebettman*

1-Best Playoff Series ever: 1994 Canucks-Flames, 1993 Leafs-Kings 1994 Devils-Rangers, 1993 Isles-Pens

2-Best Playoff run by a team: 1991 North Stars, 68 point team took the Pens to 6 games!

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: easily 1994

4-Best Playoff game ever: ok I'll pick a lesser known game. Sharks-Flames, game 7 2OT from 1995.

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: Easter Epic, Devils-Sabres 4ot

6-Best Playoff forward ever: Glenn Anderson

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Larry Robinson

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: Ken Dryden, something like 82-30 all time

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Al Arbour, Pat Burns

10-Best playoff team ever: 81-82 New York Islanders

11- Best Playoff goal ever: Matteau wraparound

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1-Best Playoff Series ever: Flyers-Oilers 1987 Finals

2-Best Playoff run by a team: Chicago's 11 straight wins in 1992.

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: 1994 (Seven Game 7's). I recently re-watched the Rangers-Vancouver Game 7. A true masterpiece. Nothin' like playoff hockey.

4-Best Playoff game ever: Game 4 1977 Flyers-Leafs. Leafs led 5-2 with about 7 minutes to play (Flyers won game 6-5 in OT), led the series 2-1 (won the first two in Philadelphia).

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: Flyers-Pens (Primeau) 2000. The Caps-Isles game deserves mention, too. See number 4, too.

6-Best Playoff forward ever: Wayne Gretzky

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Scott Stevens

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: Ken Dryden edges out Bernie Parent and Patrick Roy.

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Scott Bowman: 20-4 against the Flyers says it all.

10-Best playoff team ever: Canadiens of the late 70's.

11- Best Playoff goal ever (I am listing 5):
Favorte goal is Jean Jacques Daigneault Game 6 of the 1987 Finals. The noise level inside the Spectrum was the loudest I have ever head. Fascinating series to experience. Bobby Clarke's Game 2 1974 Finals OT goal in what was a true David vs. Goliath series; at the time, the Flyers had just one win ever in Boston Garden. Jeremy Roenick's goal in the 2004 Flyers-Leafs series, coming right after the Sami Kapanen hit. Keith Primeau's 2000 goal against Pittsburgh (I jumped so high, my hand went through a ceiling fan). Non-Flyers' goal: Stephane Matteau's wrap-around goal that ended the 1994 NJD-NYR series.

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
1-Best Playoff Series ever: Edmonton vs. Philadelphia 1987 Final: i remember in Game 5 Edmonton was up 3-1 in the series and had a two-goal lead midway through the game and it looked like it was all over; the Flyers comeback in that game and the next game forced Edmonton to remember what got them that far and completely dominate Game 7- and even then Hextall almost stole it from them. Also Gretzky immediately handing the Cup to Steve Smith was one of the most touching things i`ve ever seen.

2-Best Playoff run by a team: If you`re talking most dominant run i`d say Montreal `76 ( 12-1, never needed ot), but for most magical run, even though it`s before my time, i`ve heard enough people talk about Montreal`s `71 Cup to believe it must`ve been something truly memorable

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: I`d have to really think about this one, but off the top of my head i`d say 1989. That great first round series between Calgary and Vancouver, Gretzky vs. the Oilers in his first playoff series with another team, Lemieux`s first appearance in the playoffs ( he didn`t disappoint- 19 points in 11 games), Hextall trying to kill Chelios, and seeing the two best teams in the league ( both Canadian-based) left standing at the end to fight it out.

4-Best Playoff game ever: Montreal vs. Boston 1979 semi-final Game 7: you all know the story

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: Islanders vs. Rangers 1984 first round Game 5: it only lasted 9 minutes, but had more scoring chances than most 60 minute games

6-Best Playoff forward ever: Wayne Gretzky; Keep in mind i was born long after Maurice Richard retired

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Bobby Orr; hate to make the obvious choice but who else can you say?

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: Bernie Parent; There`s a difference between playing on a Cup-winning team and winning a Cup

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Al Arbour; i`d say Bowman except he was always in fortunate situations except for his time in Buffalo- where he had no success

10-Best playoff team ever: Montreal Canadiens; last ten years notwithstanding, no other team comes close

11- Best Playoff goal ever: Bob Nystrom`s `80 Cup-winner; as far as pure excitement goes this was the tops; i`m not picking Orr`s `70 goal because that series was never in doubt and therefore not as dramatic

monkey_00*

KOVALEV10 said:

And please leave a couple of words explaining why you chose what you chose because last thing I want is this thread turning into a grocery list.

KOVALEV10................

You have a great idea for a thread and I would really like to participate in it however I am currently involving myself in an alltime Draft in this Forum and don't want to tip my cards when naming players here......for this thread I will be a spectator and sit on the sidelines and eagerly watch what others write here.

Thanks

KOVALEV10*

monkey_00 said:
KOVALEV10................

You have a great idea for a thread and I would really like to participate in it however I am currently involving myself in an alltime Draft in this Forum and don't want to tip my cards when naming players here......for this thread I will be a spectator and sit on the sidelines and eagerly watch what others write here.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment my friend. Glad you like it. Anyhow here would be my choices.

1-Best Playoff Series ever: Any MTL/Quebec series especially 1984 (big brawl) and 1993 (the last one but really great goaltending with Roy and Hextall and all the bouchard contreversy)

2-Best Playoff run by a team: Well the Habs run in 1993 was just shocking to say the least. Winning 10 overtime games in a row, goaltending at its finest by Roy and an unforgettable moment in game 2 with the Mcsorley stick incident and ultimately winning the Stanley Cup.

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: I would go with 1993. (Look at my first two answers if you wanna know why)

4-Best Playoff game ever: Wow tough to choose... Montreal/Boston Game 7 1979 was just an incredible game with the famous Lafleur goal on the too many men on the ice penalty and then Tremblay scoring in overtime.

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: Probably 1986 Rangers at Habs game 2 I belive when Roy absolutely stood on his head making great saves after great save and Claude Lemieux going in and scoring top corner to end it. Buffalo/Dallas game 6 1999 was incredible as well with Goaltending being the story. Belfour and Hasek both made more then 50 saves and Hull scored the illegal goal to win the cup.

6-Best Playoff forward ever: In my lifetime at least it's a 3 way tie between Guy Lafleur, Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky. Before I get a lot of criticism as to why I include Guy let me explain. Lafleur was the reason the habs won 4 straight cups. He was as clutch as they come. In almost every goal he was in on it. He scored an incredible 12 goals in 11 games in 75 although the habs didnt win the cup that year. Then one year he got 26 points in 14 games. Mario in 1991 and 1992 put on the greatest individual performance I've ever seen with 44 points in 20 games I believe. And obviously number 99 in his days in Edmonton and the series vs. the Leafs in 1993 when he scored the hat trick.

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Bobby Orr. No one is even close. Need I explain?

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: In my lifetime its gotta be a tie between Roy and Hasek. While Roy won a lot more cups and conn smythes then Hasek, Hasek was always exceptional every single year sweeping teams single handedly left and right especially MTL in 98 and Ottawa in 99. Roy's performance in 1986 was incredible.

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Scotty Bowman: 9 stanley cups period!

10-Best playoff team ever: Montreal Canadiens. 24 stanley cups. Years where they lost only 1 game in the playoffs, 2 games, next year 3 games. They were the best from 1920 to 1980.

11- Best Playoff goal ever: Guy Lafleur's famous goal from the blueline, Mario's incredible goal vs. Minnesota as well as Jagr's, Yzerman's OT goal vs. St Louis is also worth a mention.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
reckoning said:
Best playoff Goalie ever: Bernie Parent; There`s a difference between playing on a Cup-winning team and winning a Cup
Exactly.

That's why I moved up earlier in the third round of the history draft to nab the goaltender who shouldn't have been available at that spot.

When the Canadiens won in '86 with Roy, people were saying Patrick's performance was almost as good as Bernie's but from a younger guy.

Bernie set the standard for playoff clutch goaltending in back-to-back seasons.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1-Best Playoff Series ever: Vancouver-Calgary '94 was jaw dropping

2-Best Playoff run by a team: Minnesota's only trip to the final was the ultimate underdog story

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: The year Dallas and Buffalo rocked their way to the finals for the first time.

4-Best Playoff game ever: That friggin' massive overtime game where my beloved Caps shut down Lemieux and Jagr through several overtimes before Nedved killed our dream... as the game went on it was like granny going for a walk around the block only to end up climbing Everest and, with one hand on the summit, falling off.

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: Oh.... see above.

6-Best Playoff forward ever: Joe Nieuwendyk in Calgary and Dallas

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Raymond Bourque. Even when his team was sinking, Ray looked incredible breaking up plays and trying to jumpstart an offense that had two flat tires.

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: Fuhr. He did what it took. And one always felt comfortable with him between the pipes (Roy gave one a nervous breakdown in comparison due to yo-yo performances).

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Pat Quinn

10-Best playoff team ever: The Islanders in 82. Darn them! (I'm such a Canucks fan, eh?)

11- Best Playoff goal ever: The one that sent the game into overtime between Jersey and Rangers. You know which one. It was huge. And I wasn't even a fan of either team.

chooch*

KOVALEV10 said:
Thanks for the compliment my friend. Glad you like it. Anyhow here would be my choices.

1-Best Playoff Series ever: Any MTL/Quebec series especially 1984 (big brawl) and 1993 (the last one but really great goaltending with Roy and Hextall and all the bouchard contreversy).
Agreed re Habs - Que; dont know which one you refer to in 93? Hextall Bouchard?
also Add Habs-Bruins 79 was a 7 game series essentially for the Cup with several players having a last gasp at the ring.

2-Best Playoff run by a team: Well the Habs run in 1993 was just shocking to say the least. Winning 10 overtime games in a row, goaltending at its finest by Roy and an unforgettable moment in game 2 with the Mcsorley stick incident and ultimately winning the Stanley Cup.
agreed

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: I would go with 1993. (Look at my first two answers if you wanna know why).[/QUOTE]

agreed; or 94

4-Best Playoff game ever: Wow tough to choose... Montreal/Boston Game 7 1979 was just an incredible game with the famous Lafleur goal on the too many men on the ice penalty and then Tremblay scoring in overtime. [/QUOTE]

agreed; it was Lambert who scored in OT from Mario. But it was Guy who had all the chances and exhausted the Bruins.

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: Probably 1986 Rangers at Habs game 2 I belive when Roy absolutely stood on his head making great saves after great save and Claude Lemieux going in and scoring top corner to end it. Buffalo/Dallas game 6 1999 was incredible as well with Goaltending being the story. Belfour and Hasek both made more then 50 saves and Hull scored the illegal goal to win the cup./QUOTE]

Gotta be the 79 game (your refer to Game 4 I believe in 86)

6-Best Playoff forward ever: In my lifetime at least it's a 3 way tie between Guy Lafleur, Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky. Before I get a lot of criticism as to why I include Guy let me explain. Lafleur was the reason the habs won 4 straight cups. He was as clutch as they come. In almost every goal he was in on it. He scored an incredible 12 goals in 11 games in 75 although the habs didnt win the cup that year. Then one year he got 26 points in 14 games. Mario in 1991 and 1992 put on the greatest individual performance I've ever seen with 44 points in 20 games I believe. And obviously number 99 in his days in Edmonton and the series vs. the Leafs in 1993 when he scored the hat trick.[/QUOTE]

the Rocket; his playoff records still stand. Guy from 75-80 was unstoppable. Mario was one man show and similarly dominating but didnt have as tough opposition (ie Bruins as Guy); Wayne was greta but played mostly in weak West DIv and then against bruised and battered East teams for cup

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Bobby Orr. No one is even close. Need I explain?
.[/QUOTE]

only had 2 cups lost a finals in 74 and semis in 75. Take Harvey.

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: In my lifetime its gotta be a tie between Roy and Hasek. While Roy won a lot more cups and conn smythes then Hasek, Hasek was always exceptional every single year sweeping teams single handedly left and right especially MTL in 98 and Ottawa in 99. Roy's performance in 1986 was incredible.

.[/QUOTE]

Kenny - 6 Cups in 7 full years!

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Scotty Bowman: 9 stanley cups period!.[/QUOTE]
Agreed
10-Best playoff team ever: Montreal Canadiens. 24 stanley cups. Years where they lost only 1 game in the playoffs, 2 games, next year 3 games. They were the best from 1920 to 1980..[/QUOTE]
agreed

11- Best Playoff goal ever: Guy Lafleur's famous goal from the blueline, Mario's incredible goal vs. Minnesota as well as Jagr's, Yzerman's OT goal vs. St Louis is also worth a mention.[/QUOTE]

agreed + Barilko + Rockets + Wayne off t.o defenseman 93 Game 7.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
1-Best Playoff Series ever: Detroit / Colorado, 2002.

2-Best Playoff run by a team: Detroit, 1997.

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: 2002

4-Best Playoff game ever: Detroit 7, Colorado 0 in 2002

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: 2002, Larionov scores 3OT winner against Carolina.

6-Best Playoff forward ever: Fedorov

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Lidstrom

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: Roy

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Bowman

10-Best playoff team ever: Detroit

11- Best Playoff goal ever: Fedorov, 1998 finals, game 3 vs Washington

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Sure, I'll take a stab at this.

1-Best Playoff Series ever: 1994 Vancouver/Calgary. Last three games decided in overtime. Three others were close. Tough, hard-hitting, physical, lots of skating, too, and great goaltending. Honourable mention to: Any other Vancouver/Calgary series, some of those classic battles of Alberta and Quebec, and the highly underrated Edmonton/Dallas thriller in 1997.

2-Best Playoff run by a team: If we're talking about by an underdog, Minnesota in 1991. Went from consensus last place in the league at the start of the season, to making the playoffs, then ousting the top two regular season teams and the reigning Stanley Cup champions. If we're talking overall, give me Montreal in 1993.

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: 1994. From Vancouver/Calgary to San Jose's surprises to Doug Gilmour's heart to New Jersey/NYR to Vancouver/NYR, among the playoffs I remember (since 1985), it's the best.

4-Best Playoff game ever: Tough one. My favourite is Vancouver/Rangers Game 6, but there are some marathon OTs (Pitt/Washington in 1996, NYI/Washington 1987, Pitt/Philly 1999) that I would rank ahead. Nothing beats staying up until 1 a.m. to watch OT hockey.

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: See above.

6-Best Playoff forward ever: Gretzky. Need I say more?

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Randy Gregg. Five Cup rings, right? In all seriousness, I'll take the easy way out and take Bobby Orr. Two Conn Smythe Trophies.

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: Roy. Single-handedly won the Habs the Cup in 1986 (as a rookie) and in 1993. Was the final piece in the Avs 1996 run. Was MVP in 01, too. While he's not in the top five or 10, I don't think Billy Ranford gets enough credit for his clutch play in the post-season.

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Bowman. More Cup rings than fingers. (Nine rings, eight fingers).

10-Best playoff team ever: Those Hab teams in the mid-to-late 1950s were something else.

11- Best Playoff goal ever: Gretzky threading the needle past Mike Vernon in 1988, Lafleur beating Cheever in 1979, and the Bill Barilko goal in 1952. (Inspired the classic "50 Mission Cap" by Canada's band, the Tragically Hip).

Jyroe Habs Fan

Aug 23, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
1-Best Playoff Series ever: Habs vs. Bruins '79

2-Best Playoff run by a team: Habs 1993 10 straight OT victories

3-Best Playoffs as a whole: 1993

4-Best Playoff game ever: Habs vs. Bruins game 7 '79

5-Best Playoff overtime game ever: Habs vs. Kings '93 Johnnie LeClair baby scored in two straight games.

6-Best Playoff forward ever: Messier and Gainey

7-Best Playoff defenseman ever: Big Bird Larry Robinson

8-Best playoff Goalie ever: Paddy Roy

9-Best playoff Coach ever: Scotty

10-Best playoff team ever: Habs 26 reasons

11- Best Playoff goal ever: Lafleur streaking down the wing in '79

Habs rule baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad