Best NHL players to never receive a single vote for an award or all-star team

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Let's only include players whose careers started after expansion, so that they at least had a chance at a few selke votes later.

Exclude the lady byng and calder.

So, we're looking for players who never got a vote for the postseason all-star teams, selke, norris or vezina in their entire careers.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Jason Arnott is another close one - a single vote for the Selke in both 2004 and 2008.

I'm thinking it is going to have to be someone from before 1996, when ballots for the major awards went from 3 to 5 names.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I thought about Pierre Larouche at first, but he did receive a lone AS vote at center in 1979-80, thus disqualifying him.

Otherwise, I'd suggest one of Petr Nedved, Ray Ferraro or Peter McNab.

I thought Mike Ribeiro could fit the bill, but he comically received a Selke vote in 07-08.

Last edited:

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I thought of Jozef Stumpel who fits the bill, but better players were already mentioned in this thread.

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I thought about Pierre Larouche at first, but he did receive a lone AS vote at center in 1979-80, thus disqualifying him.

Otherwise, I'd suggest one of Petr Nedved, Ray Ferraro or Peter McNab.

I thought Mike Ribeiro could fit the bill, but he comically received a Selke vote in 07-08.

Wow a bit shocking that Nedved didn't receive a single vote for anything...he put up one awesome (99 points) and some great seasons (71,71,68 and 78)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
One thing is sure, however : the best goalscorer who never received a single vote for major awards/all star teams is Garry Unger.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
... Otherwise, I'd suggest one of Petr Nedved, Ray Ferraro or Peter McNab. ...
Agreed and good job. Dale Hunter did play in the 97 All-Star Game, but never finished top 6 for anything else. He's also 2nd all-time in PIMs behind Tiger with 3565.

Last edited:

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Rod Seiling (started before expansion, but had no chance at Selke votes as a d-man anyways).

JP Parise, Petr Nedved or Robert Reichel are contenders, but there's probably better forwards out there.

Near misses: Slava Kozlov, Ken Linseman, Pit Martin

I agree that the answers would probably come from 70s, 80s, or early 90s, when the 5-3-1 votes were in effect.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Agreed and good job. Dale Hunter did play in the 97 All-Star Game, but received no votes for anything else. He's also 2nd all-time in PIMs behind Tiger with 3565.

Hunter received a boatload of Selke votes throughout his career though.

Another near miss : Tom Lysiak. Got Selke support for one season (and finished 4th).

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Hunter received a boatload of Selke votes throughout his career though. Another near miss : Tom Lysiak. Got Selke support for one season (and finished 4th).
I edited my post before you posted. He never finished top 6 and some votes such as 21, 22, 22, and 24 are ridiculous. You probably have Selke finishes similar to those. ;)

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I edited my post before you posted. He never finished top 6 and some votes such as 21, 22, 22, and 24 are ridiculous. You probably have Selke finishes similar to those. ;)

No we dont, which is why if we also had played in the NHL we could have become an option in this thread.

But obviously another thread about the best player that was never a finalist for an award could be quite fun as well. There we would see some real entertaining stuff, provocative i'm sure for the dude that would win.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
No we dont, which is why if we had played in the NHL could have become an option in this thread.
That's not an English sentence that makes any sense or has any meaning at all. I can't even guess what you're trying to say here at all. :help:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Vladimir Malakhov only got three 3rd place all-star team votes in 1993-94. Steve Chiasson got two 3rd place votes in 1992-93. Trying to find some better defensemen.

EDIT: I'll submit the defensive winner (for now at least) is Glen Wesley. The only votes he got in his career were Calder trophy votes which we aren't counting, otherwise nothing in a 1450+ game NHL career where he was a very solid player.

nwaZ*

Ales Hemsky has never received any votes outside the Byng and Calder.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Vladimir Malakhov only got three 3rd place all-star team votes in 1993-94. Steve Chiasson got two 3rd place votes in 1992-93. Trying to find some better defensemen.

EDIT: I'll submit the defensive winner (for now at least) is Glen Wesley. The only votes he got in his career were Calder trophy votes which we aren't counting, otherwise nothing in a 1450+ game NHL career where he was a very solid player.

Obvious one here, good call !
As for his partner...
One of Ken Daneyko, Lyle Odelein, Doug Bodger or Brad Stuart. Roughly ranked in descending order of desirability as a 1st D-Men.

I thought the answer to this question would have been Craig Ludwig, but be surprisingly received Norris support two years in a row during which his offensive output made Rod Langway look like Erik Karlsson by comparison.

EDIT : Amongst the D-Men who were very, very good at some things, but who are difficult to rank in situations such as these due to total lack of versatility, Hal Gill.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Any goaltender suggestions? Having a very hard time finding anyone who didn't get a single token 3rd place vote. Even Peter Sidorkiewicz snagged one!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Any goaltender suggestions? Having a very hard time finding anyone who didn't get a single token 3rd place vote. Even Peter Sidorkiewicz snagged one!

Martin Biron / Jim Rutherford.

John Davidson. I mean... Was the starter for a Cup Finalist.

Doug Favell, maybe ?!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->