Best NHL Players to never have their number retired by any team

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Partly must be related to Jagr still playing hockey in some form and constant rumor of a return until very recently (https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nh...-to-retire-wont-rule-out-nhl-return-1.4610137), Jagr was still in the nhl in 2017-2018.

But maybe there is something about how things ended with the Penguins ownership/fanbase that is still somewhat in place to explain why he was not an immediate jersey retirement a la Luongo/Ray Bourque for such a legend ? That and how many team he played for.
Makes sense. No way it doesn't get raised up eventually, in Pittsburgh.

He’s arguably a top-10 all timer overall, and some aspects of his game (ex. circle to slot transitions) are probably the best ever.

Last edited:

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Chelios has to be the best defenseman to not have his number retired and if were not including recent retirees like jagr probably the best player overall unless someone really really good hasn't been retired for some reason.

Chelios is at a disadvantage because his career was split pretty evenly between Montreal, Chicago and Detroit. If he’d stayed with the Hawks for a few more years he’d be a slam dunk pick for retired #7, especially as a Chicago native.

Reactions: DaveG

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Chelios has to be the best defenseman to not have his number retired and if were not including recent retirees like jagr probably the best player overall unless someone really really good hasn't been retired for some reason.

pretty good debate between Chelios and Brad Park for that crown

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Chelios is at a disadvantage because his career was split pretty evenly between Montreal, Chicago and Detroit. If he’d stayed with the Hawks for a few more years he’d be a slam dunk pick for retired #7, especially as a Chicago native.
Yea for sure. Tremendous career but split in three parts between Chicago Montreal and Detroit all that are going to have higher than average standards for retiring a number.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Didn't know park wasn't retired. Yea that's a damn fine all time first pairing of unretired numbers. I was gonna try to put together an all time roster of guys that haven't had thier numbers retired but I'm much too lazy to research.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Yea for sure. Tremendous career but split in three parts between Chicago Montreal and Detroit all that are going to have higher than average standards for retiring a number.

I think the Hawks will eventually retire Chelios number, but he'll certainly have to share it with Seabrook.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He probably still would have had his jersey retired if he went anywhere but Detroit afterward. It seems like there's still some animosity over that. Plus Seabrook has worn the number through three cups and 14 years now

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
He probably still would have had his jersey retired if he went anywhere but Detroit afterward. It seems like there's still some animosity over that. Plus Seabrook has worn the number through three cups and 14 years now

Yeah, both of those things probably play a part.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Detroit used to be super stingy with it, but they recently retired Red Kelly, so I imagine Fedorov and Chelios will be retired in due time. Those three are/were the best I'm aware of. The Leafs had a bunch too, but they and retired all the honoured numbers to appease Dave Keon for their 100th season.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Detroit used to be super stingy with it, but they recently retired Red Kelly, so I imagine Fedorov and Chelios will be retired in due time. Those three are/were the best I'm aware of. The Leafs had a bunch too, but they and retired all the honoured numbers to appease Dave Keon for their 100th season.
I doubt DET ever retires Chelios' #24. Chicago eventually will/should. Chelly was not in his prime in March '99 when he was traded to the Wings, even if he helped win 2 cups. Integral piece, for sure, but not an all-time great in a DET uniform, same as Shanahan '96-'06.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Partly must be related to Jagr still playing hockey in some form and constant rumor of a return until very recently (https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nh...-to-retire-wont-rule-out-nhl-return-1.4610137), Jagr was still in the nhl in 2017-2018.

But maybe there is something about how things ended with the Penguins ownership/fanbase that is still somewhat in place to explain why he was not an immediate jersey retirement a la Luongo/Ray Bourque for such a legend ? That and how many team he played for.
I don't think his issues are with the current ownership group. Mario took over the team pretty much right at the end of Jagrs time there. Plus him and Mario seem to still be good friends. It will happen whenever the genetic freak decides to actually retire.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Counter question: who is the worst player to have his number retired?

Ray Bourque in Colorado. NINETY FOUR GAMES (Plus 34 playoffs).

I get they won the cup with him, but seriously?

I raise you the Miami Heat retiring Michael Jordan's #23 DESPITE him playing a total of 0 seconds for them.

Worst is probably magnuson, but he’s co retired with pilote

His was likely due to his tragic death.

They will co retire him and Seabrook just like the Rangers did with Graves/Bathgate. Hawks typically only retire HHOF'ers numbers but Seabs being a core player on 3 cup winners will likely be the exception, aside from Magnuson which was for the reason noted above.

I get Park was split down the middle with NYR/BOS, but his best years came with NY so you'd think they would give him the honor.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Al Hamilton for the Oilers. Only played 31 games for them in the NHL. He played a bunch for them in the WHA, but big whoop.
its def this guy as everyone else is in the hhof . but I dont mind them ackowledging one guy from their wha days as a reminder that time existed

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wow, I'd always just assumed Chelios's number had been retired at least one place.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Roenick is a guy whose number 97 would probably be retired had his entire career taken place on one team rather than splitting his prime years between Chicago, Phoenix, and Philly.

1148 points in 1194 games between those 3 teams.
116 playoff points in 136 games between those 3 teams.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->