Best NHL Players to never have their number retired by any team

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
No retiring numbers thanks, it also becomes less and less practical as time drags on.

Honouring I like. I wouldn’t even mind seeing something like a very small patch go on the jerseys of players who wear an honoured players jersey number as a nod to the team’s history.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Have not seen him play but Jacques Lemaire sounds like a good candidate.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I've never been a fan of retiring numbers. Nothing wrong with honoring them but retiring them is a bit meh to me. As to the question in the OP it's Jagr. He probably ends up geting his jersey retired by Pittsburgh though.

But he isn't 100% officially retired yet, because I know, without question, his number does get retired by the Pens.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Wow. How is that remotely possible?!?

Edit: I suppose time since retirement.. but he is at such a level you’d think it would be an immediate thing..

Partly must be related to Jagr still playing hockey in some form and constant rumor of a return until very recently (https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nh...-to-retire-wont-rule-out-nhl-return-1.4610137), Jagr was still in the nhl in 2017-2018.

But maybe there is something about how things ended with the Penguins ownership/fanbase that is still somewhat in place to explain why he was not an immediate jersey retirement a la Luongo/Ray Bourque for such a legend ? That and how many team he played for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad