Best Moment in NHL History

nwsaboy

Sep 3, 2008
I was thinking the other day of the best moments in Hockey history.

I would have to side with V. Konstantinov Holding the cup in his wheelchair the season after his accident. Very Inspiring moment. Side note of that-No Detroit player has ever worn 16 since including Brett Hull when he got signed by Detroit.

Whats your Favourite Moment?

Honourable Mention: Owen Nolans All-Star game goal against hasek where he pointed out the goal....just a personal favourite

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Debating hockey's greatest moments is like comparing humankind's greatest inventions:

the wheel?
harnessed electricity?
the printing press?
broadcast television and radio?
the internet?
It's all 100% subjective.

The answer to both of those questions is Owen Nolan's "boo hoo" interview.

avs1986

Feb 2, 2010
Avs winning the Cup in 01. Just such an intense series,the butterflies i had before game 7, and Bourque getting the Cup after 22 years handed to him by Sakic. Probably the first time i weeped like a baby for any sports team. I sharpied in a small 77 on the back of my jersey thats still there to this day. No moment for me personally will come close to that in hockey.

Oilers1*

Not for me, personally, but from a league point-of-view, its probably Mark Messier winning the Cup in New York.

The perfect combination of superstar appeal, major market, great story about ending the Cup drought, and a very well played and dramatic series.

Hockey's profile has probably never been bigger.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Not for me, personally, but from a league point-of-view, its probably Mark Messier winning the Cup in New York.

The perfect combination of superstar appeal, major market, great story about ending the Cup drought, and a very well played and dramatic series.

Hockey's profile has probably never been bigger.

Honestly, this would have to be my choice if one could actually select hockey's "best" moment (which one cannot).

That was an amazing year for hockey, actually, an amazing two-year run with all the skill displayed in 1993 and the amazing playoffs of 1994. And hockey was on the world's largest stage (NYC). I really thought the NHL had turned the corner after that season. Lo and behold, the lockout happens, the style of play starts to shift, and the NHL hits a rut that they still have not pulled themselves entirely out of.

toquerasta

Mar 7, 2010
Ontario
This is more of a memorable moment than an actually great and significant one, but Bobby Orr flying was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If we are going by just personal opinion then I have a few:

Crosby's Olympic goal
Henderson
Lemieux's goal vs. Russia
Joe Sakic's back breaking goal in the 2002 Olympics
Marc-Andre Fleury's save in the last second of the final last year
Lecavalier's OT winner vs. the Czechs in the 2004 World Cup
Jordan Eberle's tying goal with 5 seconds left in the 2009 WJC
Jonathan Toews in the 2007 WJC with the shootout

PaganKnight

Jul 29, 2009
Montreal
Avs winning the Cup in 01. Just such an intense series,the butterflies i had before game 7, and Bourque getting the Cup after 22 years handed to him by Sakic. Probably the first time i weeped like a baby for any sports team. I sharpied in a small 77 on the back of my jersey thats still there to this day. No moment for me personally will come close to that in hockey.

Bourque with the cup get me everytime.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Well I wasn't watching hockey when almost all of these stories people are talking about happened, but when I saw the NHL playoff commercial with Bourque on the Avs, oh man. That's my 2nd favorite one of those commercials to the Messier commercial in 94.

Percy LeSueur*

...who, at $1.5 million each, both scored at a higher rate than a certain flaky Russian winger on Ottawa's payroll for another $5 million next season ;)

Must... ignore... logic...

:tmi:

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Some of Gretzky's record breaking nights - like his 50 in 39, breaking Espo's goals record with his hattrick performance, and breaking Howe's career goals and points records were all pretty big.

Lemieux's comeback from cancer is one of the greatest stories in NHL history.

Bourque winning the cup was huge.

Messier and the Rangers.

I'm sure others will think of many more.

fireworks

Apr 17, 2009
Bobcaygeon
If we are going by just personal opinion then I have a few:

Crosby's Olympic goal
Henderson
Lemieux's goal vs. Russia
Joe Sakic's back breaking goal in the 2002 Olympics
Marc-Andre Fleury's save in the last second of the final last year
Lecavalier's OT winner vs. the Czechs in the 2004 World Cup
Jordan Eberle's tying goal with 5 seconds left in the 2009 WJC
Jonathan Toews in the 2007 WJC with the shootout

That a boy!! Big Phil....agree with all of the above !! :handclap:

:cheers:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
How about Lemieux scoring late in game 4 on the breakaway during the 1997 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals vs. Philadelphia to bring down the house (Igloo)...there wasn't a dry eye in the house...

Maybe not the best, but a powerful moment to be sure...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad