Best model citizen NHL player / "Plays the right way"

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
While I think Crosby/Bergeron are more talented, I'm going to go with Ryan Getzlaf. He doesn't have Bergeron's defensive IQ or Crosby's underdog tenacity, but what he has is this willingness to step in front of a hard slap shot face first even though he's by far his team's best player.

Also: Mark Giordano for almost the same reason.

I would love a team with Giordano and Getzlaf.
Getzlaf was fined $10,000 for making a homophobic slurs at a ref in 2017...probably not the best role model to follow.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Every generation has a couple of these guys. I remember when it was Sakic and Yzerman, it now definitely feels like Bergerons mantle to wear. Crosby has been the face of the league for sure, but the amount of whining he did early in his career left a mark for many. Bergeron has been a class act since he broke in at 18 and I would think he is probably the most respected guy in the league at this point.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
King Clancy Memorial Trophy - Wikipedia
Many of the runner ups are pretty good options too.

Not superstar calibre players:

Deryk Engelland. Sure, he's nuclear deterrent level, but no one really complains about him being cheap (Mops up messes, doesn't start them). Most posters probably complain more of his overall capabilities than his actual compete level. He also supposedly works hard on and off the ice an was involved quite a bit with the local community in Vegas. He was the Vegas options for King Clancy and Mark Messier awards.

Micheal Ferland. Nuclear deterrent level, but again no one really complains about him being cheap (mops up messes, doesn't start them) with perhaps the exception of his playoff debut against Vancouver. He seems to put everything into his play, but I don't know if others would disagree due to the times his play does get a little invisible. Helps to develop hockey in indigenous communities, helps bring awareness to substance abuse and sobriety.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Jason pominville especially early pominville. Now he's barely an nhl player but he was a perfect all around player and huge community guy, underdog story etc

Reactions: Kevs Security

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Jason Zucker gives it his all on the ice and gives a ton back into the community, also I've never seen anyone work harder each and every shift than Parise

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
View attachment 149121

These are the results of the most recent NHLPA player poll... You may want to introduce your foot to your mouth.
We may as well just give Crosby a whistle right now. We wont have to listen to him cry and moan and he can just dictate everything, including who's fingers come off.

Sorry but no. Not even close

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Mark Scheifele never curses. Just take that in, a hockey player who drops zero F bombs. Also is underpaid by like 30%. Work ethic not rivaled by any. Hardly ever takes a penalty. Puts up PPG. Kind of guy you want your daughter to marry to make beautiful Mark Scheifele babies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In the past, guys that stuck out to me in this regard were Niedermayer, Kariya, Jagr, Elias, Iginla.

Lidstrom??? The Sedin twins are also surprising omissions from that generation in my opinion.

Kopitar and Barkov are guys that I like a lot in terms of this conversation currently. Bergeron is another one that I see getting lots of love. I tend to think two-way center when this is asked. I think Hedman is a guy I think of in terms of D-man right now.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lidstrom??? The Sedin twins are also surprising omissions from that generation in my opinion.

Kopitar and Barkov are guys that I like a lot in terms of this conversation currently. Bergeron is another one that I see getting lots of love. I tend to think two-way center when this is asked. I think Hedman is a guy I think of in terms of D-man right now.
Those were just off the top of my head. I spent a lot of time hating Lidstrom for being so good so it's not the first name that comes to mind.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Mark Scheifele never curses. Just take that in, a hockey player who drops zero F bombs. Also is underpaid by like 30%. Work ethic not rivaled by any. Hardly ever takes a penalty. Puts up PPG. Kind of guy you want your daughter to marry to make beautiful Mark Scheifele babies.
I'm thinking of Scheif too. He's just that brilliant a player, gentlemanly, elevates his teammates, adds new aspects to his game every year... He doesn't seem to put up a show around himself and doesn't need the spotlight. Just a super reliable elite player. "A true student of the game" is a term that always gets thrown around when describing him. But that's what I think first when discussing Scheifele.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Sedins have been donating millions anonymously for years.

Steven Stamkos also a class act. Nicest guys on the planet.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Getzlaf for me.

The staal brothers are very much please and thank you guys in person. Every one of them. Polite and humble to a tee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad