Best model citizen NHL player / "Plays the right way"

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Ya first guy that came to mind.

There’s the usuals, Crosby, Bergeron, Toews. They carry themselves well.

Don’t know what his involvement in the community was like but you don’t hang around as long as Recchi did being a plug.
Same 3 names i thought of as well. If i had a kid i would want him to watch them to learn fundamentals.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Patrice Bergeron.

I hate the Bruins, a lot. Really, really, really hate them. But uh, this is a good answer. I like Bergeron a lot. Maybe the best three day period of my life was July 11-13, 2005. 13th birthday was the 12th, lockout finally ended the 13th. 11th I met that great 2005 WJHC team at the HHOF, and they warned us all we could only get the posters they gave us signed, and I was really disappointed because Bergeron had played a season in the NHL, so I brought his card to get signed, but he saw it in my hand and said "hey, give that to me," and signed it. I had fun with a few guys. Shawn Belle, Jeff Carter, and Dion Phaneuf were cool to joke with for the few seconds we had, but as much as I found out later that if you ask, most guys will sign items they're not supposed to, especially for kids, I was too nervous to ask, and Bergeron just sorta noticed and did it, so that always stuck with me a lot. He also just sorta seems like a good guy generally, and is such a great, complete player. He's also perfectly timed, because his incredible two-way game, especially with the backing of the Corsi numbers, is something that might not have gotten as much recognition in past generations (ie Patrik Elias), but luckily he'll probably make the Hall of Fame like he deserves, I think.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Jarome Iginla always played every shift like it was his last and held himself to an incredible standard on the ice.
I love Iggy, but you clearly didn't watch his last season with the Avs. He took basically the entire season off. I don't really blame him though, because we were so bad.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Radu, he plays balls to the wall, with his heart on his sleeve, and off the ice the man is a character :laugh:

...although I'd have to give my ideal NHLer off the ice award to PK...him or Zadorov. I'm still surprised the NHL hasn't figured out how to suck the charisma out of those two yet.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
In the most recent poll the NHLPA voted Sidney Crosby as the best role model, I am inclined to go with their vote, considering that they know NHL players better than I ever will.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
How has no one said Zach Hyman yet? Plays right, eats right, lives right, loves his parents. He's the gudest pro of them all.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
By this criteria its TJ Oshie from my team. With honourable mention to Orpik.

Couple first guys i always thought have good ’aura’ around them are Shane Doan and Ryan Smyth. Theres a lot more too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad