Best Manager Pool 17/18

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hello All

It has been several years since we did a best manager poll, (I hope everyone enjoys the typo), and its as good of a time as any to review this again. Please vote in the poll, and comment the next name that you feel should be added to the next round. We will go around 25, unless more or less is required. Current coaches only. Two days to vote/discuss.

I am going to start with 10 options or so, all at the club level. We can add International coaches to further rounds. Apologies in advance if I missed anyone.

Voting for Conte, adding Sarri

Have fun!

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I voted for Jose because Manchester United is my team. I refuse to accept the fact that there are better managers out there. Also you should add Brian Schmeltzer because the Sounders are my other team.

In reality though, it's hard to argue against Zidane. The fact that his team has won back to back UCL is hard to beat.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Klopp for me. He inherited a mess from his predecessors and made them into a very entertaining attacking team that are seemingly never out of a game..

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ancelotti for me. Guardiola could be in the dicussion but he hasn't reached a CL final out of Barca. Ancelotti did it in different places and situations.

Klopp and Mourinho have votes? :amazed: :biglaugh:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Ancelotti's Bayern was a step down from Guardiola's Bayern. But it's early.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's so difficult because the situations for each manager have been so different. Very tempted to go with Ancelotti because of his success with different types of teams, and Mourinho is someone I also respect as a manager.

Part of the problem with managers who don't manage the top teams with unlimited funds is that soccer has become so result oriented with no real focus on long term plans. Some coaches need more time than others to implement their philosophy.

I'm going to go with Klopp because I think he did the most with the least in Dortmund, despite falling off the Bayern toward the end of his tenure, and because he's really done a good job of bringing Liverpool up coupled with his personality. I think Liverpool are trophy bound in some way this season and will compete on all fronts despite the squad size. Not sure he's the smartest in that sense, and the way he pushes his team, but he does make some very nice teams with very nice play.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Remember to add any names that you want added to the poll for upcoming rounds.

Evilo - I wanted to make an even ten but I threw Jardim on there for you.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Juve wins the league every year, but it's not because of Allegri. I mean, he's good, but I wouldn't call him the best in Serie A.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Conte, but I reserve the right to change my vote every 1-2 years based on Chelsea's inevitable new manager.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm not sure about Jardim.
He played defensive football, boring most of the time for 2 years, and then he suddenly trusted young offensive players and had an amazing season. His adjustments were great (see Monaco-PSG), his subs inspired and overall he was nearly perfect.

Still if you judge on last year, he's top 5. Over multiple years, probably not top 10.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Simeone. Klopp wouldn't even be in my top ten. Agree about adding Sarri.

By the way are we doing National Teams too? Tite is a fair shout to add too in that case.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We can put national in there as well. I figured this would be the easiest way to start though.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Simeone. Klopp wouldn't even be in my top ten. Agree about adding Sarri.

By the way are we doing National Teams too? Tite is a fair shout to add too in that case.

If Napoli don't win a Scudetto with Sarri, I wonder if they ever will.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Absolutely SHOCKING !!!:amazed:

I'm pretty sure I've been pretty moderate in terms of how I've rated Klopp; in fact I'm sure I've been the most vocal about his shortcomings of any Liverpool fan on this board. I'm looking at body of work and what he's had to work with vs. the others. Otherwise just list the managers by their trophy case and do away with the poll altogether.

There's a lot that goes into rating a manager, but it's not surprising that you would disparage someone else's opinion without offering any meaningful contribution. It's a pattern.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Moderate and you rate him #1 coach in the world.

Meaningful contribution? You think it's meaningful to make the homer vote systematically without even thinking (because I hope you didn't think).

Look at Ancelotti's resume.
Heck, for all I hate him, look at Mourinho's.
Guardiola's.
And so many others.

Then look at Klopp's. And realize how utterly ridiculous it is to rate Klopp as best coach in the world.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Compare the teams that they've had to work with to Klopp's. The fact that Klopp was able to make a CL final, win multiple German cups, win the BuLi with a team that he took over in 13th place?

Trophies are the ultimate goal, but it's not so simple to say one coach is better than another simply because they have trophies. Context is also important. On field product, player talent identification, nurturing of talent, pragmatism, etc.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Compare the teams that they've had to work with to Klopp's. The fact that Klopp was able to make a CL final, win multiple German cups, win the BuLi with a team that he took over in 13th place?

Trophies are the ultimate goal, but it's not so simple to say one coach is better than another simply because they have trophies. Context is also important. On field product, player talent identification, nurturing of talent, pragmatism, etc.

Oh, I immediately assumed that you were speaking of Liverpool.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can compare. Indeed, Mourinho won a CL with a much lesser team with Porto. It can be argued he won with a lesser team with Inter too.

Context is important. Some managers here have won multiple CLs. Some have been to WC finals. Some have created or transformed styles of their own that have inspired multiple managers around the world.

Klopp is NOWHERE near #1. Not even close.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And if trophies aren't important then I'll say Marcelo Bielsa is among the best in the world. See, that's not how it works.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I find it important that we distinguish if we are going to rank managers for best careers so far or best current ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad