Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Bringing this back, because why not.

Poll is open for two days. Vote for your choice and comment one name of who you would like to add to replace the previous round winner in the poll.

Names are alphabetical unless I made a mistake. First ten names are taken directly from the FIFA awards. Deal with it. Get your better choices in if you don’t like them.

Enjoy!

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don’t like the guy and likely don’t want him to manage my club (although maybe since he would only come if we were spending crazy money) but hard to argue with the results that Pep has got.

Pep takes it easily for me.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Tough one between Klopp and Pep for me. Definitely in their own tier here imo, but I think Peps continued struggles in the CL make me lean towards Klopp here.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Its Pep quite clearly for me. Klopp is easily #2 right now though,

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I went with Pep, it’s very close though.

Pep clearly has a better career trophy cabinet, but also had the advantage of better teams with much higher budgets basically his entire career.

Another season like last would have me put Klopp ahead though.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I honestly don't see what Guardiola has done that is so special compared to Klopp.

Would Klopp have done just as well with BM and City? I would say sure. Would Guardiola have done so with Liverpool and Dortmund? I doubt it.

Difficult to say of course. Guardiola has never really had to deal with financial restrictions - I might have been just as good with them.

Whatever you say about Guardiola his resume in the CL is not especially impressive.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Whatever you say about Guardiola his resume in the CL is not especially impressive.

I can't believe I have to defend the Man City manager here.

He has 2 CL titles. Only Zidane and Ancelotti have 3 in modern times, with the format post league winner only, and both of them have left much to be desired domestically.

In 10 seasons managing in 3 countries Pep has:

8 domestic titles
5 domestic cups
2 CL wins

Is he stubborn at times? Yes. Has he made some tactical mistakes in high profile games recently? Yes. But if we really wanna criticize that deeply, we can find plenty to hit Klopp on too.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I can't believe I have to defend the Man City manager here.

He has 2 CL titles. Only Zidane and Ancelotti have 3 in modern times, with the format post league winner only, and both of them have left much to be desired domestically.

In 10 seasons managing in 3 countries Pep has:

8 domestic titles
5 domestic cups
2 CL wins

Is he stubborn at times? Yes. Has he made some tactical mistakes in high profile games recently? Yes. But if we really wanna criticize that deeply, we can find plenty to hit Klopp on too.

So you believe he has done well with BM and City in the CL? Considering the resources and the team he took over in Germany I think he has done quite poorly to be honest.

I'm not saying anyone could have won with that Barcelona-team - he clearly deserves some credit for how they developed, but would a manager like Klopp done any worse? Give Pochettino peak Messi at Spurs and I think Spurs could have done some damage as well.

You make it sound like I'm heavily criticizing Guardiola. I'm not. I just don't get how he can be considered better than Klopp.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So you believe he has done well with BM and City in the CL? Considering the resources and the team he took over in Germany I think he has done quite poorly to be honest.

I'm not saying anyone could have won with that Barcelona-team - he clearly deserves some credit for how they developed, but would a manager like Klopp done any worse? Give Pochettino peak Messi at Spurs and I think Spurs could have done some damage as well.

You make it sound like I'm heavily criticizing Guardiola. I'm not. I just don't get how he can be considered better than Klopp.

Klopp may have been able to win 8 titles in 10 years, he may have been able to win 2 CLs, he may have been able to do even better, but Pep actually did those things. Obviously he's had massive advantages compared to Klopp, but he's converted those advantages into unprecedented domestic success.

Continentally, it's not like the teams he left suddenly starting dominating European competition. Barca won 2 CLs in the 4 years he was there. In the 7 since they've won once. Bayern didn't win when he was there, but they also haven't won since.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Klopp may have been able to win 8 titles in 10 years, he may have been able to win 2 CLs, he may have been able to do even better, but Pep actually did those things. Obviously he's had massive advantages compared to Klopp, but he's converted those advantages into unprecedented domestic success.

Continentally, it's not like the teams he left suddenly starting dominating European competition. Barca won 2 CLs in the 4 years he was there. In the 7 since they've won once. Bayern didn't win when he was there, but they also haven't won since.

But they won right before.

To me it sounds like you might as well disregard which teams they have managed when evaluating the manager. That is a very odd way of looking at it for me.

Might as well call the poll "who is the most successful manager" then and just count trophies from wikipedia.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I honestly don't see what Guardiola has done that is so special compared to Klopp.

Would Klopp have done just as well with BM and City? I would say sure. Would Guardiola have done so with Liverpool and Dortmund? I doubt it.

Difficult to say of course. Guardiola has never really had to deal with financial restrictions - I might have been just as good with them.

This is what it comes down to me, honestly. You really can flip a coin though.

I am going to give the runner-up automatic 2nd and add two managers (currently looking like Conte and Simone) next round

Reactions: Cassano

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Why is it between Klopp and Pep? Just because Klopp fluked out a CL win last year?

Klopp isn't close to being the 2nd best guy so if people are debating shitbag Klopp and Pep then it is an easy answer as Pep is lightyears better.

The 2nd choice will be interesting between guys like Ancellotti who has won a lot but doesn't seem to be thought of as highly as guys with a higher profile, Conte who has won in multiple places but also had a terrible last season, Zidane who has multiple CL titles but a small resume and poor domestic record.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Because actual results > results I think would happen if they were swapped

For the record - I have no issue if you prefer Klopp or someone thinks moving forward he's the guy they want. None at all. But if we're going to criticize, we need the whole picture.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Because actual results > results I think would happen if they were swapped

For the record - I have no issue if you prefer Klopp or someone thinks moving forward he's the guy they want. None at all. But if we're going to criticize, we need the whole picture.

By those standards “actual results > results I think would happen” Di Matteo is a better manager than for example Pochettino.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Why is it between Klopp and Pep? Just because Klopp fluked out a CL win last year?

Klopp isn't close to being the 2nd best guy so if people are debating ****bag Klopp and Pep then it is an easy answer as Pep is lightyears better.

The 2nd choice will be interesting between guys like Ancellotti who has won a lot but doesn't seem to be thought of as highly as guys with a higher profile, Conte who has won in multiple places but also had a terrible last season, Zidane who has multiple CL titles but a small resume and poor domestic record.
:laugh: You're not even subtle.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
By those standards “actual results > results I think would happen” Di Matteo is a better manager than for example Pochettino.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I don't place a lot of value in hypothetical. The 2011 Barca team was the best I've seen in recent memory. To say you could just have subbed Klopp into that team and he'd have won too, is to massively undersell the fact that Pep's role in building that team. It's not FUT. That team was so good not just bc of the players, but because of the tactics and style with the players.

My point is if we're going to dock Pep points for 2 CL titles in 10 years, why are we not considering Klopp's domestic record as something that should be a knock on him? He has 2 titles in 10 years. If we're going resumes, it can't just be recent CL success here, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad