• 1998-2011 Purple/Black/White

• 2011-2018 Black

Results are only viewable after voting.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
A) Awesome colors
B) No ugly horizontal stripes around the elbow like you see with almost every team nowadays + in Gretzky's era black/white.

I just fail to understand how the Kings ever decided to change the colors when you had something like this to offer. I do have a soft spot for purple/black though but these below were the best.

Even when the Kings had a vintage jersey night, they weren't wearing these but the older versions.

Who is with me ? These need to come back.

1967-68 - The (unofficial) NHL Uniform Database

playerpic_dionne.jpg
LA-Los-Angeles-Kings-Throwback-Retro-Purple-Jersey-1980-88.jpg

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Early-mid 90's for me. That's when I started watching, so I imagine that's why. So bad ass while being worn by Gretzky! :)

I love the purple and gold versions, too. I have a Robitaille CCM jersey and a Mitchell and Ness purple and gold hat.

I liked the purple and black the least.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
Of the purple and gold uniforms I prefer the 68-80 over 80-88 because they're a much cleaner design. I don't think it needs those white stripes. Just look at those Legends Nights uniforms. So great.

My personal preference overall though is the 88-98 Black/White/Silver, but mostly because of the nostalgia factor, because it's what I grew up on.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I always mix up the years, and I don't hate the current jerseys as they're very sleek, but the franchise will always be royal purple and gold to me, and it's criminal in my eyes that one of those sets isn't broken out more regularly.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
LA-Los-Angeles-Kings-Black-Jersey-2007-2010.jpg

My personal favorite because this was when I first started watching and I just kind of grew up with it. While I do love the original forum blue and gold, these are really special to me. Plus it also makes me reminisce about all the players who wore it like O'Sullivan, Frolov, Modry, Norstrom, Nagy, Calder, Preissing, JMFJ, Cammalleri etc

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If the Kings were to introduce their classic colors, sadly, they would have to change the color scheme of the gold unis since all visiting teams are required to where white, and a colored set at home, so the gold or purples would have to be alternated as a third jersey.

But they likely wouldn't go that route anyway. Considering they won two Cups in the current gear, it's likely to stay for a long, long time.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Gretzky era silver/white/black for me. Still love the purple/gold ones: 80s version included.

I would have no problem with them going to the version of purple/gold they've used for the 3rd jersey in recent years.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I completely understand preferring color over the silver/black/white combination and the purple/gold jerseys really pop.

The thing with the 90s silver/black sweaters is that there was a significant amount of silver in them with the crest, numbers, stripes etc. The current ones don't have enough silver in them, IMO.

Prefer the current road jerseys over the home jerseys.

Reactions: Butch 19

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What I like most about any teams uniforms is when I turn a game on TV, I immediately know which teams are playing based on the uniforms. Too many teams, especially 4 or 5 years ago were wearing black. For example, I liked it when Dallas went back to green.

The Kings are the only team in professional hockey to ever wear "forum blue" and gold. Those colors are instantly recognizable and should be associated with LA Kings hockey. Plus they're just a hell of a lot better than black and white.

Reactions: johnjm22

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
If the Kings were to introduce their classic colors, sadly, they would have to change the color scheme of the gold unis since all visiting teams are required to where white, and a colored set at home, so the gold or purples would have to be alternated as a third jersey.

But they likely wouldn't go that route anyway. Considering they won two Cups in the current gear, it's likely to stay for a long, long time.

Funny, this same issue about having white instead of gold was brought up years ago and at the time I used that same Doughty photo to show what a white version might look like:
OMF1E3P.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->