Best horror film of the 80s

Select up to 2 films

• Cannibal Holocaust (Deodato, 1980)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Howling (Dante, 1981)

• The Company of Wolves (Jordan, 1984)

• Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (McNaughton, 1986)

• Near Dark (Bigelow, 1987)

• Street Trash (Muro, 1987)

• Bad Taste (Peter Jackson, 1987)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
80s horror movies were the best. A lot of them are more campy fun than scary horror but many are pretty spooky and they all have practical effects. Contemporary horror films are all CG and jump scares and are just garbage, the only exceptions being Rob Zombie's films.

As for the poll I think Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 should be combined into 1 option since the latter is a remake of the former with a higher budget - its the same movie.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
Return of the Living Dead is one of my faves from the 80s ...

... but The Thing & An American Werewolf In London are tops for me.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched Possession last night. It wasn't for me. It's a rather "artsy" film that's hard to follow and weird. Things happen without explanation and none of it seems like reality because no one acts normal. It's also just a strange combination of genres: a divorce story and creature horror. From what I gather from many of the RT reviews, all of this is supposedly done so that the writer/director can make the viewer feel as confused as couples do when they go through divorces. In other words, the point of the film seems to be more to communicate its deeper meanings and make the viewer feel a certain way than tell a good, coherent story. I tend to not be a fan of films like that, which feel pretentious to me. Anyways, that's why I didn't like it and why it's not for everyone, but others might appreciate it more.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I just remember one of my all time favorites from the '80's Killer Clowns from Outer Space. It's more funny as it's not scary but what a classic.

I remember watching it on TV.. I kinda viewed as a sci-fi joint..
Another one that I don't think has been mentioned (& isn't a revered classic, but..), The Funhouse (early 80s)..

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
“The Changeling” is the only film to ever legit freak me the f*** out to this day. So of course I had to vote for it. :)

I also went with Fulci’s “The Beyond” but I would have gone with Fulci’s “The House By The Cemetery” had it been included here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4