Best Hockey Sticks of Today

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been out of hockey for almost 3 years now. March 2004 and prior I was on the ice 3 or 4 days a week. Since then, I think I've been on the ice twice. (A new house and a baby will do that to ya)

Anyway, I'm joining an adult league in January and have no clue about which hockey sticks are best out there now.

What sticks would you recommend for a 6'1" dman that loves to rip slapshots from the point?

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2006
British Columbia
I've been out of hockey for almost 3 years now. March 2004 and prior I was on the ice 3 or 4 days a week. Since then, I think I've been on the ice twice. (A new house and a baby will do that to ya)

Anyway, I'm joining an adult league in January and have no clue about which hockey sticks are best out there now.

What sticks would you recommend for a 6'1" dman that loves to rip slapshots from the point?

Thanks!

I would go for a good wood stick..Since it is drop in hockey basically and wood sticks are cheaper and more durable. it's a simple choice, unless you are made of money and dont mind wasting cash for sticks that break in the middle of the shaft all the time.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Best bet would be to go with one of the tapered shafts on the market. Stick will perform the same as an OPS but without the worry of breaking the blade and having to spend the time to pull the blade out. For whatever ever reason I can only recall seeing a handful of shafts break in 15 yrs of playing hockey. Plus with the shafts to can experiment with different types of curves.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I LOVE the Synergy ST.... One of my friends works at a pro shop near me so whenever my stick breaks he makes a fake receipt for less then a month ago and I can get a free one (because of the warranty) by sending it back.

Pretty much im getting 2 sticks for the price of one (you can only use the warranty thing once per stick...they mark the 2nd stick). 2 sticks last me about 1-1/2 years which is fine with me.

Haven't used any other sticks in awhile so I can't compare...just loving my current stick with the Gaborik curve.

I still have the current green ST but I just sent back a broken one so I should be getting back their new orange Synergy ST back in the mail(they stopped making the green one)...i'll switch to that when my current stick breaks.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I LOVE the Synergy ST.... One of my friends works at a pro shop near me so whenever my stick breaks he makes a fake receipt for less then a month ago and I can get a free one (because of the warranty) by sending it back.

Pretty much im getting 2 sticks for the price of one (you can only use the warranty thing once per stick...they mark the 2nd stick). 2 sticks last me about 1-1/2 years which is fine with me.

Haven't used any other sticks in awhile so I can't compare...just loving my current stick with the Gaborik curve.

I still have the current green ST but I just sent back a broken one so I should be getting back their new orange Synergy ST back in the mail(they stopped making the green one)...i'll switch to that when my current stick breaks.

And it's stuff like this why sticks costs soo much money. If people stopped cheating the system then the companies wouldn't have to keep sending out free sticks costing them money and they wouldn't add that price for the regular consumer to pay. BTW, you're commiting fraud.

yotesfan92

Dec 21, 2005
I agree with the comment above about the SL. Ive never broken a stick, and I broke that one within three days of getting it.

Anybody know anything about the RBK 7K SicKick

Muttley*

Avoid Easton Synthesis at all costs. Worst shaft I've ever owned. Went through 2 Sakic curves and they wore out quickly. For the price it's not as light, flexible or durable as others. I stayed withh Easton and went back to Synergy.

Muttley*

I agree with the comment above about the SL. Ive never broken a stick, and I broke that one within three days of getting it.

Anybody know anything about the RBK 7K SicKick

I want to know about the RBK 7k sickick too. I like the way it feels (Pronger curve) but don't know anyone who uses it.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
And it's stuff like this why sticks costs soo much money. If people stopped cheating the system then the companies wouldn't have to keep sending out free sticks costing them money and they wouldn't add that price for the regular consumer to pay. BTW, you're commiting fraud.

If you think because of what im is the reason for the sticks being as much as they are then your living in LaLa land.

It probably costs 20 bucks if that for the companies to make a stick. The prices are high because that what people will pay. Its called smart business.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
If you think because of what im is the reason for the sticks being as much as they are then your living in LaLa land.

It probably costs 20 bucks if that for the companies to make a stick. The prices are high because that what people will pay. Its called smart business.

Yeah but you arn't the only one who does that so it all adds up...I've seen people selling their receipts on eBay so someone can get a cheap replacement. But still, it's fraud. Plus, how many of these sticks actually break due to manufacturer's defect? Cause that's the only reason that the warranty states a stick will be replaced.

Avoid Easton Synthesis at all costs. Worst shaft I've ever owned. Went through 2 Sakic curves and they wore out quickly. For the price it's not as light, flexible or durable as others. I stayed withh Easton and went back to Synergy.

Not quite getting your assesment since your talking bout replacing the blade? And Synth = Syngergy only it's not fused together.

Muttley*

Yeah but you arn't the only one who does that so it all adds up...I've seen people selling their receipts on eBay so someone can get a cheap replacement. But still, it's fraud. Plus, how many of these sticks actually break due to manufacturer's defect? Cause that's the only reason that the warranty states a stick will be replaced.

Not quite getting your assesment since your talking bout replacing the blade? And Synth = Syngergy only it's not fused together.

Sorry. Just some clarification: I replaced my broken Synergy blade by cutting it off, then flipping around the shaft and adding a brand new blade to the butt-end of the shaft. My next stick was a Synthesis shaft, as I didn't want to be another one-piece. IMO, the quality on the Synthesis shaft & blade were worse than my original/now modified Synergy.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Sorry. Just some clarification: I replaced my broken Synergy blade by cutting it off, then flipping around the shaft and adding a brand new blade to the butt-end of the shaft. My next stick was a Synthesis shaft, as I didn't want to be another one-piece. IMO, the quality on the Synthesis shaft & blade were worse than my original/now modified Synergy.

Why not just pull the broken blade out and replace it with another tapered? Putting in a standard blade just totally screws up the kickpoints that were desgined into the stick.

Muttley*

Why not just pull the broken blade out and replace it with another tapered? Putting in a standard blade just totally screws up the kickpoints that were desgined into the stick.

unfortunately I found that out after the fact. I was told I wouldn't notice the difference but I did, and it felt weird. That's why I switched to the Synthesis.
I'm looking into Reebok & TPS now, but I'm going to take my time.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com

Actually sticks cost more than you think to make. But think about it, when you steal from a store they are losing money... Now you're not the only one stealing, there's multiple people doing it. Well these stores need to make that money back so they end up raising prices.

And as far as how much it costs to make a stick, you're not taking in account a lot of other things each company needs to do to sell that stick and to prepare to to be sold.

Regardless you are stealing and commiting fraud.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Actually sticks cost more than you think to make. But think about it, when you steal from a store they are losing money... Now you're not the only one stealing, there's multiple people doing it. Well these stores need to make that money back so they end up raising prices.

And as far as how much it costs to make a stick, you're not taking in account a lot of other things each company needs to do to sell that stick and to prepare to to be sold.

Regardless you are stealing and commiting fraud.

Well then I guess they should take out the whole warranty then if "so many people" are doing this and taking advantage of them. I'm sure then they could drop the prices of the sticks down 100 bucks right? Because the reason for the high prices are because of all us sending the sticks back because they broke in 2 months and are committing fraud because the stick didn't break in that short 30 day window.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
Whatever allows you to sleep at night, pal. You purchase a product and it comes with what it comes with. Don't like the 30 day window? Fine, don't buy their product.

Are you saying it's right for people to get a two-for-the-price-of-one deal by circumventing a company's policies? Neither correct nor justifiable, but, hell, if you can get away with it and feel fine doing it continually, good for you.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
To chime in on the Warranty debate. A lot stores won't deal with the Warranty now and will direct you directly to the manufacturer for the fact that they are sick of losing money on the deal.

Also, the cost of the sticks is not that different from the price you buy them for. Shops aren't making that much on the sticks (compared to other consumer products).

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Well then I guess they should take out the whole warranty then if "so many people" are doing this and taking advantage of them. I'm sure then they could drop the prices of the sticks down 100 bucks right? Because the reason for the high prices are because of all us sending the sticks back because they broke in 2 months and are committing fraud because the stick didn't break in that short 30 day window.

Want to know how much a stick without a warranty costs? Check out a pro stock stick, most are $100-$120 from depending on markup. The warranty on a stick is to cover manufacterer defects, promising you that you as their customer gets what you pay for. 30 days is very generous considering how much abuse a stick can take in a month. What you and your friend are doing is no better than stealing an expensive pair of shoes from footlocker or sports authority, in fact it's worse because you're forging a receipt.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
To chime in on the Warranty debate. A lot stores won't deal with the Warranty now and will direct you directly to the manufacturer for the fact that they are sick of losing money on the deal.

Also, the cost of the sticks is not that different from the price you buy them for. Shops aren't making that much on the sticks (compared to other consumer products).

Well comming from you I know I can expect a true response since you worked in a pro job and I respect you.

Im sorry to all that i've taken advantage of the warranty....fine me, sue me whatever. But my friend is REALLY the one to blame (i'm not holding a gun to his head)........I have the cash to buy new sticks but seriously...when my bud says he can get me a new one for free by making a fake receipt....i'm not turning it down....i'm not that rich just yet ;)

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

Thanks!

Depends what you want really. Do you want the best performing stick or the most durable? It's hard to find one that offers the best of bot worlds. Right now I have been telling people to take a look at Warrior sticks. You might remember a company named Innovative, well those sticks are now Warriors. I've had my Warrior OPS for close to a year now. I'm impressed with it's durability and the performance is decent too. My next stick will be another Warrior for sure. However, I would like to try one of the new Sher-woods.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Well comming from you I know I can expect a true response since you worked in a pro job and I respect you.

Im sorry to all that i've taken advantage of the warranty....fine me, sue me whatever. But my friend is REALLY the one to blame (i'm not holding a gun to his head)........I have the cash to buy new sticks but seriously...when my bud says he can get me a new one for free by making a fake receipt....i'm not turning it down....i'm not that rich just yet ;)

The manufacturers make them to break. When they first came out we expressed the fact that the customers were upset because they were breaking. Their response was "Are you selling them?.....Then what are you worried about?"

:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad