Best hockey families of all-time? Or interesting stats/notes regarding family relations?

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
I just recently discovered that Peter Stastny also had 2 brothers that similarly came to play in the NHL in the 80’s and put up some really good numbers as well. I was born after they were all done playing and somehow never heard of this.

Peter had 1.268 pts/game over 977 games
Anton had 0.978 pts/game over 650 games
Marian had 0.913 pts/game over 322 games

And there is obviously Paul Stastny who just retired with 0.718 pts/game over 1145 games.

The three were some of the earliest to come from Czechoslovakia at the time. Really impressive numbers, and I was surprised that I had never heard about Peter having two brothers who also found a lot of *individual* success here. Now I’m thinking about other underrated or under discussed families in hockey.

Who is your top hockey family of all time, why? Could a family like the Tkachuks or Hughes one day make it there as a whole? Any unusual or interesting stories/stats in regard to family ties? Cheers
If we only look at Marian's first two seasons when he was still in his 20s he was at 1.25 PPG. Very skilled guy and at 28 he was already out of prime so in his prime he'd be even higher.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
More father/son combos:

Bryan Hextall Sr (187 goals) and Jr (71 goals)

Ab DeMarco Sr (67 goals) and Jr (44 goals)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The Hextalls have been mentioned, but I always thought they were special in the sense that THREE generations in a row were all high-impact players at the NHL level.

Bryan Hextall led the NHL in goals twice and points once. From mid-1939 to mid-1943 he was the top goal-scorer in the NHL. He was a member of the 1940 Rangers' team that won the Stanley Cup.

He had a son, Bryan (the 2nd), who was an NHLer, but a fairly undistinguished one. However, his other son, Dennis Hextall, was a good player despite being a late bloomer, and had back-to-back 82 point seasons for the North Stars in '73 and '74, leading the club in scoring both years. (Another 74 point season a year after those.)

And, as most here will know, Bryan Hextall (the 2nd)'s son --- and Dennis's nephew --- was goaltender Ron Hextall, who was 1st-team All Star and won the Vezina and Conn Smythe as a rookie in 1986-87.

Just impressive that the talent went pretty strongly through three generations.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bernie Geoffrion's son Dan Geoffrion had a short career in the NHL/WHA, and his grandson Blake Geoffrion played 55 games in the NHL. While Boom Boom Geoffrion isn't related to Howie Morenz by blood, he married his daughter, so his descendants share Morenz's bloodline.

Bernie's daughter married NHLer Hartland Monahan and their son Shane Monahan played in MLB for the Seattle Mariners in the 1990s so the Morenz/Geoffrion clan spans 4 generations in two different sports, which is pretty amazing.

Blake Geoffrion was a lot better player than his statline shows - Hobey Baker winner who had his career ruined by concussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad