Best Goaltending of the 07 WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Here are all the goalies as per the rosters on IIHF.com. Which team is the strongest? Which goalies will suprise us? Who will disappoint?

Belarus:
Valery Pronin - HC Keramin Minsk
Vitali Trus - Khimik SKA Novopolotsk
Dzmitry Zhurauski - Dynamo Minsk

Canada:
Leland Irving - Everett Silvertips (WHL)
Jonathon Bernier - Lewiston MAINEiacs (QMJHL)
Carey Price - Tri-City Americans (WHL)

Czech Republic:
Jakub Kovar - HC Ceske Budjovice
Michal Nedvidek - HC Liberec Bili Tygri
Ondrej Pavelec - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL)

Finland:
Antii Harma - Blues Espoo
Tuuka Rask - Ilves Tampere

Germany:
Danijel Kovacic - SB Rosenheim
Timo Pielmeier - Kolner Haie
Sebastian Stefaniszin - Eisbaren Berlin

Russia:
Nikita Bespolov - CSKA Moscow
Ilya Proskuryakov - Metallurg Magnitigorsk
Semen Varlamov - Lokomotiv Yaroslav

Switzerland:
Reto Berra - GSK Lions Zurich
Lukas Flueller - Ottawa 67s
Raffael Walter - EHC Visp

Slovakia:
Tomas Hiadlovsky - Dukla Trencin
Branislav Konrad - HKm Nitra
Jakub Macek - Slovan Bratislava
Ondrej Mikula - HC Voctovice Ostrava

Sweden:
Jhonas Enroth - Sodertalje SK
Joel Gistedt - Frolunda HC Gothenburg
Johan Thalburg - Vasteras IK-U

USA:
Jeff Frazee - Minnesota
Jeff Zatkoff - Miami Ohio

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd say Price for Canada and Rask for the Finns are probably the best goalies in the tournament. The best of the rest are Pavelec, Enroth, and Frazee.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
The tourney features a whopping 6 goalies drafted in the 1st or 2nd round of the NHL draft.

This being his 3rd WJHC, I'd expect Rask to steal the show. Major Junior goalies Price, Irving, and Pavelec should make some noise too. Another guy to keep an eye on is Berra from Swizterland. IMO he's a future NHL goalie.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hows Varlamov been playing? I haven't heard all that much about him since the draft.
He's stolen the starter spot for Yaroslavl in the RSL and playing quite well based on the numbers & reports. A Russian hockey journalist said recently that he might be the best post-Soviet Russian goaltender.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
We will know alot more after the tourney

as of right now

Berra, Varlamov and Enroth are probably the most intruging goalies. Should be fun to see how they do

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hows Varlamov been playing? I haven't heard all that much about him since the draft.

Do we know the starter for the US yet?

I would think Frazee will be given every opportunity to be the starter. He doesn't always put up the best numbers, but tends to get the "W". He also has a pretty outstanding international pedigree. Zatkoff is certainly very capable, but unproven at this level.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Rask likes to play as much as possible, so Finland should be at the top of this category. I have no doubt that Tuukka could not handle the pressure, but I am more concerned that are the other members of Team Finland giving him enough support?

Sweden looks also quite good in this department. Modig is quite underrated IMO.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Sweden looks also quite good in this department. Modig is quite underrated IMO.

He is not on the team. That is how deep the Swedish goaltending is this year :)
Jhonas Enroth and Joel Gistedt will be fighting for the job as starter. Gistedt a starter in the SEL and Enroth having superb stats from the second tier league. Personally, I prefer Enroth.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
He is not on the team. That is how deep the Swedish goaltending is this year :)
Jhonas Enroth and Joel Gistedt will be fighting for the job as starter. Gistedt a starter in the SEL and Enroth having superb stats from the second tier league. Personally, I prefer Enroth.

I belive Modig is the third stringer and he would not be so bad even as a starter. That is why I think Sweden is astonishingly strong in their traditional weakness area this year.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I belive Modig is the third stringer and he would not be so bad even as a starter. That is why I think Sweden is astonishingly strong in their traditional weakness area this year.

Sweden does not have a third goalie in this championship. They go with 2 goalies, 7 defenseman and 13 forwards.

bulgaria

Mar 13, 2006
photo-forum.net
He's stolen the starter spot for Yaroslavl in the RSL and playing quite well based on the numbers & reports. A Russian hockey journalist said recently that he might be the best post-Soviet Russian goaltender.

You absolutely right!National senior team coach Bykov said,that Varlamov soon can be in national team!He is only 18 but is № 1 in Lokomotiv!(You have to know that the second goalkeeper Podomatcky was third goalie at the Olympics 2002 in Salt Lake and he is very strong in the net)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'd say Price for Canada and Rask for the Finns are probably the best goalies in the tournament. The best of the rest are Pavelec, Enroth, and Frazee.

Varlamov and Berra are both a fair bit better than Frazee, IMO. Reto is highly underrated and Varlamov is an insanely talented 1st round pick.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Varlamov and Berra are both a fair bit better than Frazee, IMO. Reto is highly underrated and Varlamov is an insanely talented 1st round pick.

Well, we don't see eye to eye on Frazee, and that's fine. Frazee's a winner and I think that will come through at this event.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Here's my top 5

Rask
Price
Varlamov
Berra
Pavelec

Edit: Though I person think that Irving is better then Price and If he weren't a backup, I would put him second and Price third.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Price
Pavelec
Rask
Varlamov

It's strange to think that in the entire US system there isn't a better goaltender than Frazee. If the US makes noise in this tournament it will be in spite of their goaltending, not because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad