Best goalies in the World

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I've been thinking about this lately, but who does everyone have in their top 5 goalies list? My list probably goes along the lines of this. I feel DDG and Neuer are the clear cut top two and after that there's a lot of talent all bundled together like Navas, Cech, Oblak, or Leno could be on there, anyways flame away lol.
1)Neuer
2)De Gea
3)Lloris
4)Courtois
5)Buffon

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
DDG is not clear cut top 2. He's IMO still after Courtois even though the latter didn't have his best season last year.
He's in balance with Lloris for 3rd. And you can see last Euro that it's not an easy choice (where Lloris was fantastic and DDG not so much).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Courtois is massively overrated. He had a very average season and didn't impress at the Euro.

A bad year doesn't make you overrated. Everything in front of him was **** at chelsea and he had a couple of injuries. He's still accomplished more than the likes of DDG/LLoris despite being younger.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
A bad year doesn't make you overrated. Everything in front of him was **** at chelsea and he had a couple of injuries. He's still accomplished more than the likes of DDG/LLoris despite being younger.
He's accomplished more than Lloris? How so?

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Lloris is underrated as hell if he played for a better team he'd be in the conversation for the best goalkeeper in the world.

I'm not a big Neuer guy, he's really good but I'd take De Gea over him.

1 - Buffon
2 - De Gea
3 - Neuer
4 - Lloris
5 - Courtois
6 - Navas

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

But the team and defense in front of DDG has just been so amazing? DDG was a huge reason United has finshed 4th and 5th the last two years.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Ah you meant HIS TEAM accomplished more.

Got it now.

And yes you're right, Lloris won nothing. His career started when he signed in the EPL.

To be fair, Courtois was one of the biggest parts of the rise of Atletico. He was the backbone of those sides. I do absolutely love Hugo Lloris though, and I think he is very often underrated. He, Courtois, and DDG are very tightly packed right behind Neuer, and then there's another gap before 5th. I would go Courtois, DDG, Lloris, but they are all neck and neck.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't mind it, I ranked Courtois second myself in front of Lloris and DDG. But not based on "accomplishments" but on talent and efficiency.

Lloris is the french player who has the most caps as a captain of the NT in history. THAT is an individual accomplishment.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ah you meant HIS TEAM accomplished more.

Got it now.

And yes you're right, Lloris won nothing. His career started when he signed in the EPL.

I was genuinely asking...not sure what the EPL remark was for, as I'm obviously not a big fan of that league? Just checked out his honours with Lyon...he's won a couple of trophies but not as many as Courtois.

But the team and defense in front of DDG has just been so amazing? DDG was a huge reason United has finshed 4th and 5th the last two years.

There's not playing amazingly than there's what Chelsea was doing.

I don't mind it, I ranked Courtois second myself in front of Lloris and DDG. But not based on "accomplishments" but on talent and efficiency.

Lloris is the french player who has the most caps as a captain of the NT in history. THAT is an individual accomplishment.

AS did I. I was trying to show Saku that just because he had a bad year doesn't overshadow what he's accomplished so, young in his career.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lloris is underrated as hell if he played for a better team he'd be in the conversation for the best goalkeeper in the world.

I'm not a big Neuer guy, he's really good but I'd take De Gea over him.

1 - Buffon
2 - De Gea
3 - Neuer
4 - Lloris
5 - Courtois
6 - Navas

There's no excuse not to put Neuer first, even if you don't like his personality/cockiness.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
There's no excuse not to put Neuer first, even if you don't like his personality/cockiness.

I think I'm a bit bias against him. I don't watch a ton of Bundesliga, either. So take it as a list of my favorites keepers instead of best ones.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

Please help me out: Why Neuer is cocky? He is not the guy who's everybody's darling, but cockiness/Personalty issues I've never recognized.

On topic: Of course Neuer is the best goalie. No sane man can doubt it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Please help me out: Why Neuer is cocky? He is not the guy who's everybody's darling, but cockiness/Personalty issues I've never recognized.

On topic: Of course Neuer is the best goalie. No sane man can doubt it.

His line about not even having to break a sweet in some matches was pretty cocky...and it's not the only thing like that that he's said. I like it, but then I grew up loving Effenberg, Sammer, Ballack, & Kahn; so of course I like my athletes to have some arrogance/bravado to them.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
My personal opinion:

1. Neuer
2. DDG
3. Buffon
4. Lloris
5. Courtois

Buffon underrated because of his age. And as I said Courtois might be top 3 talent wise but at this moment today I can't put him there based on the past year performance.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Of course people will remember this past season and judge Courtois on that only. Not his past achievements and realise it was an anomaly not only for him but a lot of players.

He's the second best GK in the world in terms of talent and potential.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Of course people will remember this past season and judge Courtois on that only. Not his past achievements and realise it was an anomaly not only for him but a lot of players.

He's the second best GK in the world in terms of talent and potential.
Potential sure. But I still don't think he's the second best goalie in the world. I'd take DDG, Neuer, and maybe Lloris over him.

Jan 3, 2012

What?

Caps as a captain mean nothing.

A guy who has 50 caps for NT as a captain and a guy who has 50 caps for his NT not as the captain have accomplished the same thing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hardly. When someone is the captain of a team like France (meaning with a high level for each individual player), it certainly stresses leadership, consistency and talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad