Best goalies at this year's WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
I'm sure someone here has a better idea of who the best goaltenders at the World Juniors will be than I do, but I'd imagine a start would be something like:

1. Fleury (Canada)
2. Toivonen (Finland)
3. Barulin (Russia)
4. Schwarz (Czech R.)
5. Montoya (USA)

Agree? Disagree? Comments?

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
icarus said:
I'm sure someone here has a better idea of who the best goaltenders at the World Juniors will be than I do, but I'd imagine a start would be something like:

1. Fleury (Canada)
2. Toivonen (Finland)
3. Barulin (Russia)
4. Schwarz (Czech R.)
5. Montoya (USA)

i'm agreeing.. But I think because the U.S team a better than the finland one... I think that Montoya will show better than Toivunen in the tourney..

But Fleury, if he give his 100%... He is will be HEAD AND SHOULDER....

Hockeypuck

icarus said:

1. Fleury (Canada)
2. Toivonen (Finland)
3. Barulin (Russia)
4. Schwarz (Czech R.)
5. Montoya (USA)

Howard will be better than Montoya. Fleury will be the class of the tourney.

icarus said:

1. Fleury (Canada)
2. Toivonen (Finland)
3. Barulin (Russia)
4. Schwarz (Czech R.)
5. Montoya (USA)

Comments:
It will be interesting to see how Finland, if at all, deals with the Lehtonen hang-over. Toivonen, only from what I hear of course, is an excellent goalie, but surely is no Kari.
I feel that Konstantin Barulin could in fact be the number one by the time the tourney is over. He certainly played excellently in the Re/Max Russian Selects (Selects of what?) vs. Canadian Junior All-stars series. Maybe he can play just as well behind a real representing team . . .

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Kubina_Fan said:
Comments:
It will be interesting to see how Finland, if at all, deals with the Lehtonen hang-over. Toivonen, only from what I hear of course, is an excellent goalie, but surely is no Kari.
I feel that Konstantin Barulin could in fact be the number one by the time the tourney is over. He certainly played excellently in the Re/Max Russian Selects (Selects of what?) vs. Canadian Junior All-stars series. Maybe he can play just as well behind a real representing team . . .

Well Toivonen will play in front of a home crowd in stadia in which he's played previously in SM-Liiga. But the public pressure will be on him to perform and to stand on his head. But familiar ice should help..

Toivonen imho has been very underrated, he was overshadowed, rightly so, by the Lehtonen hype but has proved that he has what it takes..

There won't be any Lehtonen hangover, Toivonen is as close as you can get to a just as good goalie.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
One of the Sweish goalies is a very interesting prospect. Magnus Ã…kerlund is born 1986 and is 2004 eligible. He is one of the best goalies in a long time at his age, better than both Liv and Lundqvist. Ã…kerlund is 6.01, 183 and plays for HV 71. There's a chance that he might even be the starter for Sweden this year.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
What about the kid from the US last year? I can't remember his name right now, but he was the best in the tourny last year, despite what people said about Fleury.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
You're thinking of Bobby Goepfert. He's too old to play again this year.

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
Mr. Zzzz said:
Here are my top-5

1. Fleury (Canada)
2. Schwarz (Czech R.)
3. Toivonen (Finland)
4. Howard (USA)
5. Barulin (Russia)

Do not forget Tobias Stephan (Switzerland), but it's not sure if he'll play 'cause of a hip-injury who might require surgery (decision this weekend). He was outstanding for his team Kloten Flyers. He might steal a win for the Swiss Team vs. a top 6 nation.

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
devilman said:
Do not forget Tobias Stephan (Switzerland), but it's not sure if he'll play 'cause of a hip-injury who might require surgery (decision this weekend). He was outstanding for his team Kloten Flyers. He might steal a win for the Swiss Team vs. a top 6 nation.

you are absolutely right. I forgot him. He is defenitly one of the best goalies at the tournament. It´s just bad that he doasn´t have a good team infront of him...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
devilman said:

I read somewhere that Stephan's out.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mr. Zzzz said:
Here are my top-5

1. Fleury (Canada)
2. Schwarz (Czech R.)
3. Toivonen (Finland)
4. Howard (USA)
5. Barulin (Russia)

This list looks good to me. I really hopes Howard bounces back from last year's poor performance.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Fish on The Sand said:
What about the kid from the US last year? I can't remember his name right now, but he was the best in the tourny last year, despite what people said about Fleury.

:lol:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Mountie said:

I don't know about this one. Goepfert was really good last year and it's certainly arguable that his performance was as good, if not better than Fleury's (not saying anything about talent here). At the very least I don't think FOTS deserves to get laughed at for saying what he said.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
What's so funny? Goepfert was outstanding in last year's tourney, and it's no stretch he to say he was Fleury's equal.

Beat me to it. :D

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Fish on The Sand said:

I was at the world juniors last year and I would not put any of the US goalies up with the likes of Fleury and Medvedev at that tournament.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Jaroslav Halak

Slovakia goalie

watch for him to have a big impact and could surprise a lot of people in the tournament

Was great for slovakia at the U18 tournament last year.

9rd pick of mtl 03

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Goepfert was good, but to say he was better than Fleury is completely ridiculous.

He was not even the second best goalie at the tournament (Medvedev), and trying to put him above Fleury is just mind-boggling.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Mountie said:
Goepfert was good, but to say he was better than Fleury is completely ridiculous.

He was not even the second best goalie at the tournament (Medvedev), and trying to put him above Fleury is just mind-boggling.
I second that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad