Best Goalie In Major Junior Hockey?

Faryn

Dec 11, 2009
Calgary AB
I think Visentin from Niagra, Anderson from SMM and pickard should be some on the names? Which do you think have great NHL potential?

Pickard is overrated but the other to are great Visentin is probably the best prospect in goal playing in the CHL then there is Campbell he had a bad start to the season but per usual he really stepped up in the WJHC. As an Oiler fan I am really impressed with Tyler Bunz's year and I could see him atleast getting an invite to Canadas WJHC camp

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Best prospects or best Goaltender? These two are not neccessarily the same thing.

Pickard is perhaps the best pro goalie prospect in the WHL, but Kuemper was CLEARLY the best Goaltender in the regular season, and Bunz had a phenomenal final 40 games.

Gibson might be both from the Q. I'm pretty confident that Jacob De Serres is a product of the Sea Dogs team. Nobody in the dub wanted him, and plenty of teams needed a Goaltender, even though De Serres took Brandon fairly deep.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Pickard is overrated but the other to are great Visentin is probably the best prospect in goal playing in the CHL then there is Campbell he had a bad start to the season but per usual he really stepped up in the WJHC. As an Oiler fan I am really impressed with Tyler Bunz's year and I could see him atleast getting an invite to Canadas WJHC camp

Why do you feel Pickard is overrated?

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
for my money, Mrazek in the O was the best goalie. Probably doesnt have the NHL potential of Visentin, but Mrazek was the best goalie in the OHL this year.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Christopher Gibson (draft eligible), Nathan Lieuwen (undrafted overager), Tyler Bunz (drafted).

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Didnt have the greatest playoff, but Darcy Kuemper was the CHL's best goalie this year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
WHL - Pickard
OHL - Subban
LJHMQ - Gibson

I chose Subban because he was one of the top 10 goalers being on one of the worst teams in the CHL.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
My homer pick goes to pickard, but all the guys mentioned have been great

Ogopogo*

Absolutely.

Calvin Pickard wasn't in his league this season.

Considering Pickard played on one of the worst teams in the WHL and yet he led the league in save % tells me that he was likely phenomenal. Sometimes playing behind an excellent team like Kuemper did really inflates the stats. Leading the league in save % behind a crappy team is pretty amazing.

I lived in Kelowna when Kelly Guard played for the Rockets. He had 13 shutouts and a 1.56 GAA in 2003-04 but, to those of us that saw him play regularly it was painfully obvious the team in front of him was responsible for those numbers. Guard wasn't very good he just had Josh Gorges, Shea Weber and an amazing defensive team in front of him. He never played one second in the NHL and was done with pro hockey by age 26.

Not saying Kuemper is the same but, goaltending stats can be very deceiving.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Petr Mrazek

Yeah he was unreal this year. 2nd in the OHL in saves, 1st in save percentage, which translates to him seeing and stopping a boatload of pucks. I got to see him live a few times and on local TV a bunch and he can flat out steal games. His NHL potential is up in the air but his compete level is about as good as it gets.

Fast Tony DeNiro

May 1, 2011
Absolutely.

Calvin Pickard wasn't in his league this season.

Kuemper is a very good goalie, but I don't think it's fair to say Pickard wasn't even in the same league. He had to stop 50 shots a night and did a pretty good job at it.

For my money, I go with Pickard as the best in the WHL at least. Don't really watch OHL or the Q so I can't comment on those leagues.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Kuemper is a very good goalie, but I don't think it's fair to say Pickard wasn't even in the same league. He had to stop 50 shots a night and did a pretty good job at it.

For my money, I go with Pickard as the best in the WHL at least. Don't really watch OHL or the Q so I can't comment on those leagues.

There's a reason Kuemper was the easy choice for CHL MVP this year.

He was that much better than every other Goaltender. Without him, I don't think Red Deer is a seeded team.

Last edited:

Stedman49

Jun 3, 2010
Didnt have the greatest playoff, but Darcy Kuemper was the CHL's best goalie this year.

Kuemper had an amazing season, he might have been struggling with an injury during the medicine hat series. Red deer has a history of producing great goalies (Cam Ward, James Reimer), and i could definately see Kuemper becoming a great nhl goalie.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Kuemps was named CHL goalie of the year today. I think that shows us who it is right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->