Best goalie from 2011 late pick draft

mirec73

Sep 30, 2009
Hi, I would like to ask you, which goalie should be the best from these late picked goalies:
117. Washington Capitals - Steffen Soberg
132. St. Louis Blues - Niklas Lundstrom
157. Winnipeg Jets - Jason Kasdorf
163. Carolina Hurricanes - Matt Mahalak
164. Calgary Flames - Laurent Brossoit
167. Buffalo Sabres - Nathan Lieuwen
178. Tampa Bay Lightning - Adam Wilcox
181. Boston Bruins - Lars Volden
182. Edmonton Oilers - Frans Tuohimaa
188. Columbus Blue Jackets - Anton Forsberg
190. Toronto Maple Leafs - Garret Sparks
211. Chicago Blackhawks - Johan Mattsson

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Hi, I would like to ask you, which goalie should be the best from these late picked goalies:

Yep. Look back at this thread in 5-6 years, it would be interesting.

squidz*

Why no Michalek on the list?

161. Minnesota Wild - Stephen Michalek

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

But, it's hard to tell at this point.

His Beardliness*

The kid had 2 shutouts in the preseason for Modo. He could be good.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Mattsson was challenging to be Sweden's starter at the WJC camp in Lake Placid this summer.

Sarnia also picked him in the first round of the CHL Import Draft this year. These next few years in the OHL will be really good for him. He's already had a great year in the Swedish J20 league.

He has great size, and was a FA invite to the Blackhawks Prospect Camp in 2010. Clearly they liked what they saw.

I don't know enough about the others to say who'll be the best. I'm just stating a case for Mattsson.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like Mattson and Brossoit, but nobody really knows at this point.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Mattsson was challenging to be Sweden's starter at the WJC camp in Lake Placid this summer.

Sarnia also picked him in the first round of the CHL Import Draft this year.

Sudbury picked him as the second goalie in that draft (Søberg was the first, 6th overall by Swift Current).

Sarnia picked Rensfeldt, another Hawks pick and a forward.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Both Lars Volden and Frans Tuohimaa will get their chances to play as starters in the FEL today. Volden playing for Espoo Blues in a home game against JYP, and Tuohimaa for Jokerit in a home game against SaiPa.

E: A shut-out for Volden in his first FEL game in a 1-0 win with 34 shots shot at.

Last edited:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Not as late as those picks but Perhonen will be the best goalie of the draft. Mark my words.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Not sure if the best of those goalies who are listed, but I was very impressed by Tuohimaa when I saw him last year. Obviously Mahalak made good improvement in the second half of the last season.

old time hockey4

Feb 26, 2009
Calgary
Was searching for threads about Laurent Brossoit, this is one of the most recent that came up. Looks more and more like he is turning into a good late round pick for the Flames, he's now won 17 games in a row and was just named CHL goaltender of the week.

I've only got to see him play one game, it was a shutout, so I don't really have a great sample size to say if he's looking like a really great goalie, or just a good goalie on a great team. How's he looked from people following the Oil Kings? Has he made some great strides this season?

Shows how tough it is to properly scout a goalie, I'm sure if teams knew he would be playing this well already since his draft he would have gone much higher than the 6th round.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
im not going to comment on whose the best as i have not seen most of them play, however, Sparks had a great season and he has been slightly better then his numbers would suggest.

zinedine

Sep 2, 2010
Can anyone rank these goalies? Have any of these guys really stood out this year?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think Mahalak is going to be the best.

Kasdorf :facepalm:...what a waste of a pick. It's like we needed to draft at least one Winnipeger.

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
Was searching for threads about Laurent Brossoit, this is one of the most recent that came up. Looks more and more like he is turning into a good late round pick for the Flames, he's now won 17 games in a row and was just named CHL goaltender of the week.

I've only got to see him play one game, it was a shutout, so I don't really have a great sample size to say if he's looking like a really great goalie, or just a good goalie on a great team. How's he looked from people following the Oil Kings? Has he made some great strides this season?

Shows how tough it is to properly scout a goalie, I'm sure if teams knew he would be playing this well already since his draft he would have gone much higher than the 6th round.

Have seen him play a ton this year and he has made massive strides from the end of last season! A big goalie who is EXTREMELY flexible and very quick post to post. He is very solid technically, but as the draft combine showed last year, he is also very strong and athletic. He looks so calm all the time, and I think that really rubs off on the rest of his team. I can't remember the last poor goal I saw him give up, and I think that may be his best asset, he's just very consistent and solid.

IMO, I think he plays a lot like Jonathan Quick, and I think the Flames have a real steal from the 6th round. I also think he will get a real look for Team Canada for next years WJC.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Considering the Oil Kings have won 19 straight, i'd probably say Brossoit. Only because i'm a Flames fan :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->