Best Goalie Coach in the League?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There is an element of just the "fit" between a goalie and his coach too. Lots of goalie coaches have studied the position and know their stuff from a technical standpoint. But not all goalies are the same, physically or mentally, and some coaches work better with one goalie than they do with another.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
upload_2019-4-16_11-14-57.jpeg

My face opening the thread & seeing Pavelec stood on his head.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Going against the grain and saying Francois Allaire. Coached Roy in Montreal and Giguere in Anaheim. Brought into Colorado by Roy and is still there as far as I know. His goalie school in Switzerland is the reason Gerber, Aubischer, Hiller et. al. came to the league from a pretty obscure hockey country at the time. I think Benoit can thank him for much of his success too.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Waite is mine best goalie coach in the league. He accomplished some miracles with our goalies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't know but goalie coach is a pretty special gig. imagine the combination of acuity, technical skill and psychiatric chops it demands to spot a problem, figure out a solution, and then get the guy to believe in you and himself through thick and thin.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Lundqvist
Talbot
Raanta
Georgiev

That's only 4 of the more high profile goalies allaire has had on the rangers and all 4 have become starter level under his tutelage (and remained so for at least a year after leaving NY).

When he does it again with Shesty at the nhl level, this conversation will be over

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
Lundqvist
Talbot
Raanta
Georgiev

That's only 4 of the more high profile goalies allaire has had on the rangers and all 4 have become starter level under his tutelage (and remained so for at least a year after leaving NY).

When he does it again with Shesty at the nhl level, this conversation will be over

Fundamentally speaking, the Rangers would do really well to parlay Georgiev into something. I really don't think he's an NHL level goaltender. His technique reminds me a lot of Andrew Hammond's. That said, Allaire is a terrific goalie coach, but it's very hard to argue against Mitch Korn's resume or Sean Burke's past work.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I'm watching the Rangers/Knights game right now and Pavelec is standing on his head, he's improved so much since the beginning of this season when I was scratching my head as to why they signed him.
His last 3 games he shutout Washington with 30 shots, stopped 44 out of 45 Dallas shots, & stopped 41 out of 44 Pittsburgh shots. He has a .953 SV% in his past 5 games. On the season he has a .924 SV% tied with Lundqvist.

I think Benoit Allaire is the best goalie coach in the league, he seems he turns every Ranger backup into a stud. Talbot, Raanta, Pavelec
Ive heard great things about Ben Allaire.... Mitch Korn is also really good...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad