Best GM At Drafting?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Myers was higher on CSB and was a better player in the end.......A player being the consensus pick should give no fan comfort with a bad pick.

Fair enough on Myers, I believe he was generally rated in the 8-12 area in most places. My point is it's much easier to accept a not so great pick when you look at the next 4/5 guys picked after him(or guys generally rated in that area who fell alot) and don't say to yourself man how did I miss that. Only think I would be annoyed from a Toronto perspective is they gave up 2 picks to move up 2 spots

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fair enough on Myers, I believe he was generally rated in the 8-12 area in most places. My point is it's much easier to accept a not so great pick when you look at the next 4/5 guys picked after him(or guys generally rated in that area who fell alot) and don't say to yourself man how did I miss that. Only think I would be annoyed from a Toronto perspective is they gave up 2 picks to move up 2 spots
I'm fine with the fact we turned him into JVR. My main point though hiding behind consensus isn't a viable excuse for a bad job. 2008 isn't the best example of this. But, maybe a better example is Dal Colle, who was pretty much a consensus 5th overall pick (was practically a tier on his own) but Nylander and Ehlers are significantly better pick. I'd say the same about Yakupov, while Galchenyuk and Rielly aren't superstars, they were much better picks in retrospect. Hell, Lindholm was really against consensus and was a great hit at 6.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Calls thread "Best GM at Drafting?". Opines Peter Chiarelli, specifically listing his picks. Retrogrades thread by saying Chiarelli is not the best, simply undervalued.

Grow a set. Or re-name the thread.

Yzerman wins this hands down. Too many home runs in later rounds: Point, Kucherov, Palat. Plus some solid first rounders that help make the team who they are today (Hedman, Vasilevski).
Yzerman had nothing to do with Hedman.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
How long till were allowed to call Logan Stanley a miss?
Probably 3 years... Remember off the first rounders picked after him, only Henrik Borgström and Tage Thompson have had any NHL games.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Probably 3 years... Remember off the first rounders picked after him, only Henrik Borgström and Tage Thompson have had any NHL games.

Sounds like watching a slow motion car crash. But fair.

Also think Chevy is great outside that pick

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'd have to say that cheveldayoff has the best home grown crop of players currently in the NHL, especially considering he has only had 1 top 5 pick.

Ehlers/Connor- Scheifle-Laine
Trouba-Morrissey
Helleybuck

I think this is very impressive. I'd be curious to see what GM has built a better starting lineup than that.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Hard to make a case for a GM to be best at drafting considering an entire group of people essentially are making the decision.

Reactions: Jtown

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
"Who is the best Scouting Director at drafting" should be the thread title.

I like Al Murray's work at Tampa and I liked Al Murray's work for Los Angeles.

Contender happened in both places.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
I'd have to say that cheveldayoff has the best home grown crop of players currently in the NHL, especially considering he has only had 1 top 5 pick.

Ehlers/Connor- Scheifle-Laine
Trouba-Morrissey
Helleybuck

I think this is very impressive. I'd be curious to see what GM has built a better starting lineup than that.

Ovechkin Backstrom Kuznetsov
Orlov Carlson
Holtby

The stanley cup champs starting lineup was drafted under George McPhee. Not quite as impressive considering two are top 4 picks. Forsberg could have been sloted in over Ovechkin if they didn't make that Erat trade.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Los Angeles Al Murray (1996-2007)

Anze Kopitar
Olli Jokinen
Dustin Brown
Wayne Simmonds
Mike Cammalleri
Trevor Lewis
Alexander Frolov
Brian Boyle
Eric Belanger
Dwight King

Alec Martinez
Lubomir Visnovsky
Frantisek Kaberle
Joe Corvo
Andreas Lilja
Tomas Hickey

Jonathan Quick

Not sure if he anymore affected to 2008 draft, but they got Doughty and Voynov from there.

Tampa Bay Al Murray (2011-18)

Nikita Kucherov
Jonathan Drouin
Brayden Point
Ondrej Palat
Vlad Namestnikov

Andrei Vasilevskiy

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
This is the dumbest thread lol. All GM's do is announce the pick. They don't do all the work behind the scenes and make the lists. Let's give the scouting department some credit. Sure they will get the last say but you would be dumb if you consistently ovveruled your head scout because that means you don't trust his opinion.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Flames aren't the best, but they have done A LOT better the last few years.

Treliving did an excellent job in 2015, 2016, 2017. For what he had this year, I'll give him a pass (his fault for giving away so many picks), but overall he has done a really good job with his picks (only listening notable ones or ones that I've done some research on).

2015 (5 picks):
Round 2:
Rasmus Andersson (floor as a bottom pairing defensemen, ceiling as a #2. Could've been with the team last year, and frankly deserves a spot ast this point)
Oliver Kylington (floor as a AHL top pairing defensemen, ceiling as a #3 in the NHL)
Round 6:
Andrew Mangiapanie (floor as a top 6 AHLer, ceiling as a top 6 NHLer - probably ends up in between)

2016 (9 picks)
Round 1:
Matthew Tkachuk (already proven top 6 talent, could produce even more offense if given less defensive assigments)
Round 2:
Tyler Parsons (floor as an NHL backup, ceiling as an elite NHL starter)
Dillon Dube (floor as a #3 center/winger, ceiling as a #2 center - not as big of a gap, but almost a surefire NHLer if his development continues as planned)
Round 3:
Adam Fox (floor as a top pairing AHLer, ceiling as as top 4 defensemen and a PP quarterback)
Round 6:
Matthew Phillips (ultimate bust or pop pick, could end up as a career AHLer, or a top 6 RW - likely doesn't play at centre due to his size)

2017 (5 picks)
Round 1:
Juuso Valimaki (floor as a bottom pairing NHL defensemen, ceiling as a #1 defensemen - if I had to guess, probably turns into a solid #3 guy).
Round 4:
Adam Ruzicka (floor as a top 6 AHL centre, ceiling as a #2 or #3 centre in the NHL)
Round 6:
D'Artagnan Joly (has a cool ass name, and thats all that matters. Long term project, but probably has a ceiling as a bottom 6 winger in the NHL).

2018 (5 picks):
Way too soon to even start projecting, though I do like the Petterson, Roman, and Zavgod picks.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
What is this belief that GM have any say in the drafting process ??

I know right. A lot of them have very little, and simply delegate. There was a behind the scenes look at the draft (either this one or last) that showed Stan Bowman at the mercy of his staff. He mentioned something like he hardly sees these players and has to trust the people he has in charge.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad