Best GK seen on the football field?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The answer for me is Neuer, at least in terms of the keepers that appeared in a more modern era. Algeria game in 2014 was a career level performance any player in the world would be proud of. Germany wouldn't have won that WC with any other keeper between the sticks for that game.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I started watching frequently more recently, so since I started watching Neuer has been head and shoulders above the rest, and, based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge of football history, he should be top five all time by now.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Kahn singlehandedly dragging a garbage German team to the 2002 WC final was some feat. Most dominating performance from a GK I've seen.

While he won't appear on any best of list, I must say Bernard Lama the most joyful gk to watch. His nickname was 'Le Chat' he was so graceful, like poetry in motion.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Started watching in 1992 when I was 7 or so.

Buffon is the best I have watched. Can't comment on the black and white era.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My idol growing up was Van der Sar and that bias puts him up there with the best of the best for me, but I think Schmeichel Kahn, Gigi are probably my top 3.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure he's the best ever but Nuer has changed the way keepers play the game. He's revolutionized the position. Coaches are teaching young keepers to play like him he's changed the way we think the game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not sure he's the best ever but Nuer has changed the way keepers play the game. He's revolutionized the position. Coaches are teaching young keepers to play like him he's changed the way we think the game.

Definitely don't think Neuer is or will be considered the GOAT, but he absolutely changed the way the modern goalie plays the game.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
In what way? Love Neuer (as stated earlier), but not sure if I see the revolution.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
In what way? Love Neuer (as stated earlier), but not sure if I see the revolution.

You really can't see how keepers are developing? The way they attack the ball, passing and creating goals from the back. It's no longer about just shot stopping but they're now asked to be the 11th player.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yep. If a team plays with a high line, the goalie is now expected to come out and make tackles on long balls. It is definitely up for debate whether or not this is a good thing, but considering Neuer tackles like a midfielder, it separates him from everyone else currently playing for sure.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You really can't see how keepers are developing? The way they attack the ball, passing and creating goals from the back. It's no longer about just shot stopping but they're now asked to be the 11th player.

Haha. I really can´t see? You are such a nice guy to discuss with.

You really can´t see Neuer didn´t exactly come up with that style? And that being a "keeper-sweeper" is hardly something I would call a revolution.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yep. If a team plays with a high line, the goalie is now expected to come out and make tackles on long balls. It is definitely up for debate whether or not this is a good thing, but considering Neuer tackles like a midfielder, it separates him from everyone else currently playing for sure.

Many goalies these days are aggressively coming off the line in those situations. Neuer just happens to play for a big team so it is more noticeable.

Of other top goalies Lloris isn´t any different even if he isn´t physically as impressive as Neuer when making the tackle.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lloris is much different because he messes up much more.

Neuer does not and that's why he gets recognition, not because of the team he plays for.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Haha. I really can´t see? You are such a nice guy to discuss with.

You really can´t see Neuer didn´t exactly come up with that style? And that being a "keeper-sweeper" is hardly something I would call a revolution.

It was a question... not claiming your blind but that you can't see what Neuer is doing.

Many goalies these days are aggressively coming off the line in those situations. Neuer just happens to play for a big team so it is more noticeable.

Of other top goalies Lloris isn´t any different even if he isn´t physically as impressive as Neuer when making the tackle.

Yes, and who has started this trend?

Lloris is a good keeper but there's Manuel and then everyone else.

Well it depends... if you can perfect it like Neuer then it's a great thing. However, a lot of the times you get a water down version like MATS who at times does more harm then good.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Being better at it is in my opinion different than revolutionizing a position. Different discussion.

Anyway. I was just curious as to what he/she meant.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Being better at it is in my opinion different than revolutionizing a position. Different discussion.

Anyway. I was just curious as to what he/she meant.

Keepers want to emulate Neuer... coaches are teaching keepers to be Neuer lite. Hows that not revolution?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I disagree that Neuer's style is that special. Don't disagree that he is the best at that part of the game.

Goalkeepers have changed a lot in general the last 10 years. Neuer just happens to be the best from the generation born just before the change in the back pass rules. Meaning when the grew up and later became professional they had to be more comfortable with their feet then the generation before them.

To me it doesn't take away anything from Neuer. I just don't think he deserves any credit for the change of style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad