Best games you've ever seen

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
1980 isles v. boston. maybe the most intense nhl game i've ever seen. gillies/o'reilly...oh boy.

1987 canada cup game 3. hawerchuk on a mission and then gretzky/lemieux.

1980 olympics usa vs. ussr. the miracle game.

1994?playoffs sabres vs. devils. ot hawerchuk hits the crossbar in ot. ouch. brodeur is phenomenal.

1993 playoffs isles ousting the pens. pens storm back. david volek!!! ends it in ot.

as for this pastseason. how can we all forget the isles clincher vs. the devils? does it get any better than that?isles blow the lead and the devs tie it in the last minute.then the most exciting shootout ( if that's possible:p:)ever.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
many...

Internationally, as a Canadian, I was surprised to be so blown away by a Finland vs. Sweden game a couple of years ago. It was a 3-3 tie in early round competition. Darn can't recall the tourney but was speechless for over an hour after that. Hockey is no better than that was.

Hmm, you don't mean the 4-4 game in the 04 WC? I can't recall any Sweden-Finland game going 3-3 for awhile. :dunno:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Hmm, you don't mean the 4-4 game in the 04 WC?
I think that's it. An awesome game that I never read any follow up story about. Saw the great game, went about life, and nobody talked about it afterwards that I know of.

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
1992 Stanley Cup finals game 1. Pens vs. Hawks. Pens down 4-1 halfway through the game. Then Tocchet scores and Lemieux banks it off Belfour from behind the net to make it 4-3. With less than 5 minutes left Jagr walks out of the corner around 3 hawks and scores. Mario wins the game off a faceoff with 10 seconds left. Great comeback win, being a finals game only makes it better.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
I think that's it. An awesome game that I never read any follow up story about. Saw the great game, went about life, and nobody talked about it afterwards that I know of.

It was a thriller for sure. Forsberg managed to get the puck to Holmström who scored near the crease when it was two seconds left. It didn't matter, since Finland had been letting fewer goals in, and managed to win the group, resulting in a easy meet against the ultradefensive germans in the quarterfinals. But there is better Sweden-Finland games, i can assure you.

Sunny Leone*

1992 Stanley Cup finals game 1. Pens vs. Hawks. Pens down 4-1 halfway through the game. Then Tocchet scores and Lemieux banks it off Belfour from behind the net to make it 4-3. With less than 5 minutes left Jagr walks out of the corner around 3 hawks and scores. Mario wins the game off a faceoff with 10 seconds left. Great comeback win, being a finals game only makes it better.

Mario played the point off that draw and snuck in expecting the rebound........excellent goal

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
1984 Canada Cup semi-final - Canada beats USSR

That was such a high tempo game from beginning to end. I watched it on tape again during the lockout and still could not believe it.

1976 Winnipeg Jets beat Czechoslovakia 6-5

This was in December after the Czechs lost to Canada in the Canada Cup final in September. I believe the Jets were down 5-2 and came back for the win before a crowd which was standing for much of the 3rd period.

1977 USSR beat the Winnipeg Jets 3-2

Everybody here remembers the 1978 win by the Jets but IMO this was the better game. Tretiak saved it for the Commies. Much better than the over-rated New Year's Eve game when the Habs tied Red Army. (P.S. The Habs never did beat Team CCCP.)

1978 Winnipeg Jets beat the USSR 5-3

This is memorable due to the fact that the Jets beat them and thereafter had a legitimate claim to be amongst, if not the, best club team in the world.

1978 Leafs beat Islanders in Game 7 - Lanny McDonald scores OT winner

Simply an exceptionally dramatic game, after which most pundits claimed the Islanders lacked the fortitude to be a good playoff team. :biglaugh: Of course, those pundits became louder when the Islanders lost to the Rangers in 1979. :biglaugh:

Islanders beat Rangers in game 5 (of best-of-5) in overtime

I don't know the year, but obviously from the era in which the first round was best-of-5. The Rangers were serious underdogs and had one ring off the post or crossbar behind Billy Smith in OT. That game was pure end-to-end excitement.

April 2005: Charleswood Hawks beat St. Vital Victorias 3-2 in game 7 in OT to win MMJHL final!

1,400 people in a building suited for 800 made for a rocking atmosphere. One side for the Vics, one for the Hawks. Suburb vs suburb.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Game 1 of the 1994 finals, Vancouver - NY Rangers. Canucks won in OT on the back of a 50+ save performance by Kirk MacLean that was one of the best goaltending performances I've ever seen. There wasn't a dull moment in that entire series; games 5 and 7 can also go down as all-time greats.

Game 4 of the 1996 finals, Colorado - Florida. John Vanbiesbrouck was simply inhuman; if it had been anyone other than Patrick Roy in the net at the other end, Florida would've won this game.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Flyers Vs Tampa Bay in game 6 of the 2004 ECF, watching Primeau kick it to himself around the net and tie that and then hearing the building explode when Gagne won it in OT was unreal.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
1984 Canada Cup semi-final - Canada beats USSR

That was such a high tempo game from beginning to end. I watched it on tape again during the lockout and still could not believe it.

1976 Winnipeg Jets beat Czechoslovakia 6-5

This was in December after the Czechs lost to Canada in the Canada Cup final in September. I believe the Jets were down 5-2 and came back for the win before a crowd which was standing for much of the 3rd period.

1977 USSR beat the Winnipeg Jets 3-2

Everybody here remembers the 1978 win by the Jets but IMO this was the better game. Tretiak saved it for the Commies. Much better than the over-rated New Year's Eve game when the Habs tied Red Army. (P.S. The Habs never did beat Team CCCP.)

1978 Winnipeg Jets beat the USSR 5-3

This is memorable due to the fact that the Jets beat them and thereafter had a legitimate claim to be amongst, if not the, best club team in the world.

1978 Leafs beat Islanders in Game 7 - Lanny McDonald scores OT winner

Simply an exceptionally dramatic game, after which most pundits claimed the Islanders lacked the fortitude to be a good playoff team. :biglaugh: Of course, those pundits became louder when the Islanders lost to the Rangers in 1979. :biglaugh:

Islanders beat Rangers in game 5 (of best-of-5) in overtime

I don't know the year, but obviously from the era in which the first round was best-of-5. The Rangers were serious underdogs and had one ring off the post or crossbar behind Billy Smith in OT. That game was pure end-to-end excitement.

April 2005: Charleswood Hawks beat St. Vital Victorias 3-2 in game 7 in OT to win MMJHL final!

1,400 people in a building suited for 800 made for a rocking atmosphere. One side for the Vics, one for the Hawks. Suburb vs suburb.
Glad, I am not the only one who remembers thos great Winnipeg Jets/USSR games. They rarely get mentioned but they are among the greatest games ever.

Dintrox

Perhaps the most memorable game I've seen

was the 2002 Olympics gold medal game -- Canada vs. US

50 years since our last Olympic gold and we did it!!! I have never seen such a celebration in this country. Burnaby Joe and the boys brought us back the hardware... I think it was the most watched hockey game in Canadian history and deserves mention...

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Perhaps the most memorable game I've seen

was the 2002 Olympics gold medal game -- Canada vs. US

50 years since our last Olympic gold and we did it!!! I have never seen such a celebration in this country. Burnaby Joe and the boys brought us back the hardware... I think it was the most watched hockey game in Canadian history and deserves mention...

Hearing the crowd sing "O Canada" in the dying seconds still sends chills up my spine. That was an amazing game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3b-OyqvsrQ

Last edited:

toastman344*

That New Year's Eve 3-3 tie , Montreal vs. Red Army was probably the Best game I've seen...

toastman344*

Den :
... somebody who claims that ( New Year's Eve 3-3 tie ) to be the best game could be a little bit more scrupulous about naming the opponent. In fact, the Red Army is also an (unfortunately accepted) NA distortion, the team is called CSKA, or Central Army Club. Nothing red in the name...

If u had said CSKA to a Canuck back in the 70's ....no one would have known who or what u were talking about...Since this thread is devoted to Nastalgia...calling them Red Army seems totally proper...since they were ALWAYS RED ARMY to us...Insofar as I'm aware No Soviets ever objected either...& of course the games had to be sold to Canadian fans...

The other touring team at the time....we called The Soviet Wings...I remember seeing them play the Sabres...Wings kept trying long cross ice passes....and Buffalo kept intercepting and swooping in like Birds of Prey...Tore dem Soviets to pieces , to the tune of 12-6 ! Not Pretty at all ...but Pretty fun to watch....if ur a Canuck that is ! Especially, that French Connection line led by Gilbert Perreault , Boy that Guy was a Beauty !!!

sabreRT

Apr 26, 2007
Buffalo
One of the best games I saw in person was a great Hasek/Richter duel in the late 90s, I can't remember the exact date. My buddy's dad got free 100 level tickets behind the shooting side net. It ended in a 2-2 but those goalie performances were incredible.

Also attended a great 3-2 victory for the Sabres over the Sens during the regular season. It was to be the last time I'd see Marty in goal for the Sabres :(

The Summit Series is on DVD and those are probably the most amazing hockey games ever played.

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
1989 Playoffs... Penguins vs. Flyers 10-7... Lemieux puts up one of the greatest single game performances in history, and Hextall leaves his net to chase Robbie Brown around the ice. Nice.

kovy1335

Sep 21, 2005
Haha yea, i actually have the game on DVD. The Pens gave it out as a promotion i think.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Canada vs Czech Republic 2002 Olympics
- The best tie game I have ever seen. The hatred in the game was intense

Sweden vs Finland 2003 World Hockey Championship
- I think it was 2003 when the Swedes came back and won the game after being down 5 goals

Colorado vs New Jersey 2001 Game 6
-Patrick Roy shows why he sthe greatest

Edmonton vs Dallas every playoff game they played

Colorado vs Florida 1999
-Florida loses 7-5 after having a 5-1 going intot the third

DayWalk3r

YouTube Guru
Sep 13, 2005
Northern Hemisphere
Canada vs Czech Republic 2002 Olympics
- The best tie game I have ever seen. The hatred in the game was intense

Sweden vs Finland 2003 World Hockey Championship
- I think it was 2003 when the Swedes came back and won the game after being down 5 goals

Colorado vs New Jersey 2001 Game 6
-Patrick Roy shows why he sthe greatest

Edmonton vs Dallas every playoff game they played

Colorado vs Florida 1999
-Florida loses 7-5 after having a 5-1 going intot the third

Correct me If im wrong, but I think it was in 1998. Forsberg had 6 points (3+3).
International, as a Swede, is the Olympic Final against Canada '94 and the game you posted above against Finland the two I remembered the most.

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
Isles/Caps, game 7, 4 overtimes.....hands down the most intense game I've seen. Kelly Hrudy stopped 73 out of 75 shots.

Definitely, for a game that went so long, it was great hockey. Easter Sunday, what a game.

What I would slightly put ahead of that is Canada Cup 1987 game 3. Huge drama, 2 great players (amongst many others). Fantastic game!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->