Best games you've ever seen

DayWalk3r

YouTube Guru
Sep 13, 2005
Northern Hemisphere
Another good regular season game I saw was Avalanche vs. Panthers 1998. (I have this game on VHS-recorded DVD btw.)

12 goals combined, and allmost all of the goals was very sweet. Some huge hits in that game aswell. The best part tho was that the Panthers was up 5-0 with just some minutes left in the 2nd per and the game ended 5-7 to the Avs.

Pavel Bure with 3 goals.
Peter Forsberg with 6 points (3+3)

[link below]
http://lpj.free.fr/aval.htm

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Best games ever... Are you just making sure we're paying attention? :help:

If I have to pick one that nobody has mentioned yet... I'll say Ottawa vs. Buffalo, Game 1, 2006.
Ottawa thought they had the game won late in the third until Buffalo tied it. Then Smolinski scored and this time it seemed a sure victory--until the Sabres tied it for good, 6-6, in the dying seconds of regulation time.

As unbelievable as the end of the third period was, Drury's coming out and scoring the overtime winner 18 seconds in was an incredible end.

yeah, I also threw a couple others in there for the same reason. ;) Although I will say that Dallas - Vancouver series was by far the best of the playoffs this year, but that's saying more about the rest of the series then that one.

It wasn't live, but on TV the best game I can clearly remember watching involved two teams I could care less about.

It was April 18, 1987 and game 7 between the New York Islanders and the Washington Capitals. It was at the peak of run and gun 80s hockey, tied 2-2 after regulation. The chances went back and forth, end to end with Kelly Hrudey and Bob Mason both playing out of their minds and went to four overtimes.

Pat Lafontaine ends it 8 minutes into the 4th overtime on a spinaround slapper that beats a screened Mason. Final shots 75-57 for the Caps.

No rooting interest at all, just an amazing game.

The One Who Knocks

Jul 10, 2007
California
That I've been to - Game 5 in the 2002 Eastern Conference Semis. Montreal at Carolina. The Hurricanes had just pulled off the "Miracle in Molson" a few nights prior, and had won two games in a row to tie the series 2-2. The arena was PACKED, and the atmosphere was absolutely amazing. Carolina went on to win the game 5-1 and sent everyone into a frenzy. Awesome stuff

That I've Watched On TV - Other than Game 7 of the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals when the Hurricanes won the Cup? There was a game early in the 06-07 season when the Ducks and Sharks played at the Tank. Like what Malefic said about the Cap's game, there was just a ton of back-and-forwards action, with both goalies playing exceptionally well. I think there was a good fight in there also, and the physicality was crazy from both teams. It was like a Game 7 against two bitter rivals.

That I've been to, it took me some time to come up with this one, as I've seen some incredible games living in Edmonton during the 80s. But I'm a Habs fan and always have been; so my choice became pretty easy. It was in the spring of 1992 and we were on a trip to Montreal. We had tickets to a game between the Habs and the Sens (who were brutal at the time) but the game was pretty decent; a 3-2 comeback overtime win for Montreal, but what made the experience so special was it was at the Forum. I knew I would never be back here before the team moved to the new arena. I soaked in every thing about the place, the smells, the ghosts, the crowd, the Standing Section; everything. It was possibly the most awe I've ever felt in any building outside of archaeological sites.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Regular Season

Nordiques vs Bruins, 3-3 Tie. Ron Tugnutt was God that night.

I remember that way back when. Little Ronnie Tugnutt. I remember it as much because Don Cherry made a huge deal of it on coach's corner the following weak. Don likes to stick up for the underdog little guy. If my memory serves me correct, Tugnutt made 69 saves that night.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Sweden vs. Belarus in the 2002 Olympics was probably the craziest game I've ever seen.
Then there was also that amazing game between the Bruins and Oilers in 1990...the one where the power went out and Petr Klima scored the winning goal. That was probably one of hte most exciting games I've ever seen.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
A good one I remember is last game of season 2005, Devils need a win in Montreal to win the division. They came in on 10 game win streak. They were down 3-0 and came back to win 4-3, winning the division. They scored 3 goals in the last 8 minutes, including 2 goals in the last 4 to silence the Bell Centre.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I recently re-watched the Flyers clinching win in Toronto in 2004 when Roenick scored in OT. The goal came moments after Tucker drilled Kapanen. That was a solid game throughout.

Other favorites: Game 6 of the 1987 Finals between the Flyers and Edmonton and the 2000 Flyers-Penguins game that ended at 2:35 a.m. on Primeau's goal in the 5th OT.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I recently re-watched the Flyers clinching win in Toronto in 2004 when Roenick scored in OT. The goal came moments after Tucker drilled Kapanen. That was a solid game throughout.

Other favorites: Game 6 of the 1987 Finals between the Flyers and Edmonton and the 2000 Flyers-Penguins game that ended at 2:35 a.m. on Primeau's goal in the 5th OT.

I recently watched that Flyers-Leafs as well ... the OT was incredible ... great chances all arouns.

Also just recently watched game 2 of the 1974 Finals. For thoe that think the game was more physical back in the 70's you're absolutely dreaming.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Memory is a little fuzzy, but the 6-5 OTL vs Toronto a few years back where it was 5-1 Toronto early in the game.

Jovanovski tied the game with someone like 30 seconds left.

Dintrox

Montreal Vs. LA kings game 2 92/93 stanley cup finals...

Demers calls for a stick measurement on mcsorley's stick with the Kings up 2-1 . Eric Desjardins scores his second goal to send it to overtime. Eric completes the hat trick in OT...

11 OT games for the habs in that cup run .. they lost the first against the nords after that they won the next 10.. very exciting cup run!!!!

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
Memory is a little fuzzy, but the 6-5 OTL vs Toronto a few years back where it was 5-1 Toronto early in the game.

Jovanovski tied the game with someone like 30 seconds left.

I attended that game. Actually there were two that were very similar, both were OTL for Vancouver against the Leafs and both were high scoring. One was in January 2000 and the other was in March 2000. I honestly can't remember which one. All I remember was not being very optimistic as for the first two periods the Leafs bullied a very young underdog Canucks team. A lot of fans in GM Place left after period 2 thinking there was no chance in hell Vancouver would come back. I stayed and boy I'm really glad I did.

Then the Canucks came out flying and ran roughshod over the Leafs in the third period sending it into OT. GM Place was absolutely ecstatic that night. I remember some loudmouth Leafs fan sitting in front of us with his jaw open in disbelief. Then in OT the Canucks continued to put on the pressure, but Sundin scored to steal the win on I think Potvin or Snow (I honestly don't remember). Even though the Canucks lost I saw this as the beginning of the turnaround.

To this day, it is still the best hockey game I have EVER attended.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
1. Game 2, 1987 Canada Cup finals.
Gretzky's greatest game ever, Lemieux brilliant, Russians at the top of their game with everything on the line. Game was incredibly fast from the opening shift and both teams elevated their games as the night wore on.

2. New Year's Eve classic, Habs versus Red Army.
Les Canadiens were astonishing that night, skating the Soviets into the ice. Tretiak was miraculous, Dryden porous, and what should have been a 7-1 game ended up 3-3.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
There was a game in the 02-03 season I vividly remember, Colorado at Tampa. One of the only times all year Tampa was on national television, they go down 3-0 but end up winning 4-3. Absolute craziness as nobody knew where the puck was on the fourth goal until the red light came on.

I also recall being at a game where the mighty Cloutier shut out the Red Wings 3-0. It was shocking, to say the least. Maybe not a best game but memorable nonetheless.

Brownie

Aug 16, 2006
Richmond
Calgary versus Vancouver (Game 7) in the first round of the 2004 playoffs is my favorite game. Iginla had 2 goals I believe and was dominant. The final play is a classic. Iginla looks like he has the empty net but misses as a shirt is thrown on the ice. Ohlund gathers the puck, dishes it off to Naslund, Iginla trips on somebody's stick at center ice, then Naslund cuts on net with a backhand. The shot is stopped by Kiprusoff but the rebound goes right to Matt Cooke who roofs it. GM place goes absolutely nuts. I remember Naslund rushing with the puck and I was dreading another long offseason after losing. It was such a special moment and I thought the game was ours. Gelinas put an end to that though.

Joey13

Watched:
1986 (?) playoff game between the Capital and Islanders - won by Bossy in multiple overtimes.
2001 (?) playoff game between Penguins and Flyers, won by Primeau in multiple overtimes,
1996 World Cup, game # 3 - the USA was down 2-1 with about 4 minutes left and won 5-2.

Saw in person:
1996 Stanley Cup finals - game # 1 - AVS rout Florida 7-1 on Forsberg's first period hat trick.
2001 Stanley Cup - game # 7 - 3-1 AVS win and the cup handed from Sakic to Bourque.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
many...

Internationally, as a Canadian, I was surprised to be so blown away by a Finland vs. Sweden game a couple of years ago. It was a 3-3 tie in early round competition. Darn can't recall the tourney but was speechless for over an hour after that. Hockey is no better than that was.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
He probably means Montreal and the Red Army tying 3-3 December 31, 1975

Well, somebody who claims that to be the best game could be a little bit more scrupulous about naming the opponent. In fact, the Red Army is also an (unfortunately accepted) NA distortion, the team is called CSKA, or Central Army Club. Nothing red in the name...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad