Best games you've ever seen

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Some are heartbreaking others are just thrilling...

Here are mine:

MTL VS BOS game 7 2004 eastern quarterfinals

COL VS NJ game 7 stanley cup finals

I always thought game 3 of the 93 Habs vs. the Nords series was one of the best I ever saw.

Melanson

Apr 29, 2004
Isles/Caps, game 7, 4 overtimes.....hands down the most intense game I've seen. Kelly Hrudy stopped 73 out of 75 shots.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
1:The "Unfamous" game between the Wings, and Avs, Mars 26 1997. It fulfilled one of the greatest rivalries ever in sport history. So many good players on both teams, such a intensity, so many badass-players.

2: Rangers - Canucks 94, last game. It completed a terrific final, which was arguably one of the best series ever played.

3: For me as a Swede, nothing beats the WHC-quarterfinal in Helsinki 2003, when it comes to international play. Maybe the Turin-final comes close along with the 91 WHC-gold when Sundin scores, and completely fools one of the best defenders by that time, Slava Fetisov. The invincible KLM-line was for the first time beaten by a swedish team when it mattered the most.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
From recent memory I might go with game 7 between Minnesota and Vancouver in 2003. Minnesota came from down 3-1 in the series just to get there, and scored three times in the third period to win the game 4-2.

I've watched the tape of game 7 of the finals between Edmonton and Philadelphia in 1987 and it seemed very exciting as well. Game 7 of the finals tends to be more defensive oriented and tight than most other games, but there were tons of scoring chances in this one with Fuhr and Hextall bailing out their respective teams repeatedly.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Canada vs USA 2002 Olymipcs

Toronto vs Ottawa - Game 5 2000 playoffs

Canada vs Czech - 2004 World Cup

Dallas vs New Jersey - Game 5 2000 Finals

Dallas vs New Jersey - Game 6 2000 Finals

Colorado vs New Jersey - Game 7 2001 Finals

Calgary vs Vancouver - Game 6 2004 playoffs

Calgary vs Vancouver - Game 7 2004 playoffs

Tampa Bay vs Calgary - Game 5 2004 Finals

Edmonton vs Detroit - Game 6 2006 Playoffs

Edmonton vs Carolina - Game 1 2006 Finals

Edmonton vs Carolina - Game 5 2006 Finals

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
To tell you the truth, one of the most exciting games I've ever seen was a nothing regular season game between the Oilers and Devils about 6 years ago. Can't remember any details other than Elias scored the winner in OT. The Oilers were such a fun team to watch in the late 90's-2002.

NICO NICO PANIC

Jan 12, 2007
To tell you the truth, one of the most exciting games I've ever seen was a nothing regular season game between the Oilers and Devils about 6 years ago. Can't remember any details other than Elias scored the winner in OT. The Oilers were such a fun team to watch in the late 90's-2002.

I think I remember that game, I believed the Oilers were up by a good margin before the Devils managed to comeback and win it in OT.

I listened to it on the radio. When the Oilers were up like 3-0, I turned it off. I later came back to find out the Devils won it.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I think I remember that game, I believed the Oilers were up by a good margin before the Devils managed to comeback and win it in OT.

I listened to it on the radio. When the Oilers were up like 3-0, I turned it off. I later came back to find out the Devils won it.

Heh, I think that's the one. Oilers had a big lead, the Devils came back, and then it went back and forth for a couple goals. It might of been Edmonton that tied it up late sending it to OT before Elias scored the winner. Final score was 6-5 I think. Might not of been a big important game, but it was one of the best, most exciting games I've ever seen.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yep, I remember that one as well. It was the late game of the Hockey Night in Canada double-header. The Oilers were on a tear, I believe they were going for their 11th win in a row and things looked good, but they blew a big lead and it went to OT. Mike Grier tried to hit Todd Marchant for a possible break-away with about 10 seconds left, but it was picked off and New Jersey scored. You know it must have been a beauty if three people remember it and it was just a regular season game between non-rival teams.

Ogopogo*

I was at that game - easily the best hockey game I have ever attended.

I think it was 2001. The Oilers were on a 9 game winning or unbeaten streak and the Devils were on a 10 game unbeaten streak so, it was the two hottest teams in the league going head to head. The action was amazing and the Devils ended up winning 6-5 in OT with 4 seconds left on the clock.

The best game I have ever seen on TV was the 1984 5th game in the best of 5 between the NY Rangers and NY Islanders. Same kind of game as that Oilers/Devils game, Islanders won 3-2 in OT.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
For me as a Swede, nothing beats the WHC-quarterfinal in Helsinki 2003, when it comes to international play. Maybe the Turin-final comes close along with the 91 WHC-gold when Sundin scores, and completely fools one of the best defenders by that time, Slava Fetisov. The invincible KLM-line was for the first time beaten by a swedish team when it mattered the most.
There was no KLM by then.
www.chidlovski.net/1954/54_game_info.asp?gm_id=gm886

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Final game of the 1996 Canada (or World, I forget) Cup.

Richter stood on his head, especially in the third period . Brett Hull backchecked and I'm pretty sure I saw him go down and block a shot too.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Canada/USA 2002 Gold Medal game - this was revenge for what happened in '96

Canada/Czech 2004 World Cup semi final - I dont know if I was ever mroe nervous during a gmae then there. Luongo came up strong when he had to, just at the right time

Canada/USA Game 3 World Cup - time has healed these wounds, but form a hockey standpoint this was a great game, I'll still watch it even though Richter broke our hearts. This game goes to show you what happened when Joseph was in a pressure game

USA/Russia 1980 Miracle on Ice game - The passion of the US fans was unbelievable. To understand the significance of the game you have to palce yourself in those times, eg. the Cold War.

1984 Game 5 NYI/NYR - Might be the best NHL game ever played. Billy Smith played great. In overtime there was 9 minutes played and I swear to you, there were more scoring chances in that time then there was in an enitre game! Bossy believe it or not was in on a 3 on 1 and missed the net with a terrible shot. Morrow scored minutes later.

1989 Vancouver/Calgary Game 7 - Mike Vernon saved Calgary's bacon in overtime. Stan Smyl nearly ended the game on a breakaway. The only thing about this game was how the winning goal was scored, going off a Canuck defenseman's foot, rookie Trevor Linden was on the ice for the goal

Game 8 1972 Can/Russia series - This game had everything. The stakes were high both teams hated each other. There was Parise's stick swinging, Eagleson's rescue form the Soviet guards, Rod Gilbert's fight (hard to believe), and a lovely 3rd period comeback. Henderson saved the nations face with that one

Game 2 1987 Canada Cup final Can/Rus - No not game 3 where Gretzky set up Lemieux, that was a great game too, but this was better. Double overtime, end to end action, Gretzky's 5 assist night, Lemieux's hat trick, the KLM line giving Canada fits. How about Fuhr's clutch saves in OT? Anyone that doesnt think he was a Hall of Famer needs to only watch that game. As far as drama and excitement go this is IMO the greatest game ever played

1984 Canada Cup Can/Rus - yeah you know this one. Coffey's two on one break up, Tonelli's tenacity and Bossy's tipped shot. If Canada lost this one after the disastrous '79 Challenge Cup and '81 Canada Cup oh boy.................

Muttley*

Canada vs USA 2002 Olymipcs

Dallas vs New Jersey - Game 5 2000 Finals

Dallas vs New Jersey - Game 6 2000 Finals

Brett Hull & Jason Arnott

Combination goaltending dual/edge of your seat tension as the games progressed and went into OT.

Nice to see people list these as their best games, as conventional wisdom would see a certain team involved and quickly dismiss the game as being "boring". :sarcasm:

J0e Th0rnton*

Game 8 1972 Can/Russia series - This game had everything. The stakes were high both teams hated each other. There was Parise's stick swinging, Eagleson's rescue form the Soviet guards, Rod Gilbert's fight (hard to believe), and a lovely 3rd period comeback. Henderson saved the nations face with that one

Game 2 1987 Canada Cup final Can/Rus - No not game 3 where Gretzky set up Lemieux, that was a great game too, but this was better. Double overtime, end to end action, Gretzky's 5 assist night, Lemieux's hat trick, the KLM line giving Canada fits. How about Fuhr's clutch saves in OT? Anyone that doesnt think he was a Hall of Famer needs to only watch that game. As far as drama and excitement go this is IMO the greatest game ever played

1984 Canada Cup Can/Rus - yeah you know this one. Coffey's two on one break up, Tonelli's tenacity and Bossy's tipped shot. If Canada lost this one after the disastrous '79 Challenge Cup and '81 Canada Cup oh boy.................
I second those.

In fact, the Entire summit series was the best ever.
Valery Kharlamov, the russian Gretzky, was absolute insanity on skates(Till Clarke dirtied him)

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I was at that game - easily the best hockey game I have ever attended.

I think it was 2001. The Oilers were on a 9 game winning or unbeaten streak and the Devils were on a 10 game unbeaten streak so, it was the two hottest teams in the league going head to head. The action was amazing and the Devils ended up winning 6-5 in OT with 4 seconds left on the clock.

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many people to remember this one. Any chance you still have your ticket stub or a season schedule to find out the date of the game?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
March 17, 2001. I was in attendance for a game two days later against the Flyers, and as my luck would have it, the Oilers failed to get a point for the first time in a month. Wish I'd gone to the game vs NJ instead.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
March 17, 2001. I was in attendance for a game two days later against the Flyers, and as my luck would have it, the Oilers failed to get a point for the first time in a month. Wish I'd gone to the game vs NJ instead.

Thanks Kyle, it's one to remember for sure.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That Oilers-Devils game reminds me of another great regular season game. In March of 1995 I went to an Oilers-Blues game for my 8th birthday. The Blues were a pretty solid club while the Oilers were terrible. St. Louis jumped out to a 2 or 3 goal lead, but the Oilers came roaring back in the third period to win 6-5. I think Kelly Buchberger had a couple of the goals. It was likely the highlight of Edmonton's "illustrious" 1994-95 campaign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->