Best game of the tournament?

The Yzerhood

Feb 21, 2010
Well, now that it's all said and done, I think we can all agree that these Olympics provided consistent entertainment. Not one day of Men's Ice Hockey went by without there being a great battle, whether it be an intense rivalry, a great upset, or simply an end to end contest.

So, which one took the cake? Which one was your country's greatest effort?

A few highlights that come to mind:

Preliminary Round:

Canada 3 - Switzerland 2 (SO): The first time I was nervous about Canada potentially having a Turin-like tournament. Still trying to establish chemistry, you can't take away Brodeur going 4/4 or Crosby (of course) coming through to win it. Also, Hiller had a fantastic performance.

USA 5 - Canada 3: I was pissed, but this was a bit of a blessing in disguise for Canada and a huge coming out party for an American team that too few had on their radar coming in. High scoring affair. Unbelievable goaltending by Miller. GG

Switzerland 5 - Norway 4: Once again, Hiller was good. This game meant so much in terms of the parity that is forming in International hockey. For me to have been so pumped up about a game between Switzerland and Norway, I was incredibly impressed. Coming out party for Zuccarello-Aasen and a hat-trick by a player with possibly the greatest name ever relative to the country he's from, Torre Vikingstad.

Slovakia 2 - Russia 1 (SO): A deadly team with so much potential that had yet to really demonstrate it at this stage, this was the game that gave Slovakia its momentum. Pavol Demitra showed up. The favourites were taken down in a tight game.

Russia 4 - Czech Republic 2: Russia finally got rolling and for the first time against legitimate competition, actually looked terrifying. A rematch of the '98 gold medal game. Ovechkin demolishing Jagr was very fitting in a "I'm the new generation. I'm the new you" kind of way and the resulting Malkin goal was a beauty.

Sweden 4 - Belarus 2: Many non-Swedes were hoping to see a Salt Lake City upset and almost got it. The Swedes survived a very intense late game push and because of probably their biggest fallacy in the elimination portion (Not panicking or playing with much urgency when the pressure was on), capped it off with an Alfie goal.

Sweden 3 - Finland 0: This wasn't a nail-biter by any means, but it was a match-up between two undefeated teams for first in the group, and a huge testament to Sweden's scary ability to methodically pick apart a team and cruise to a win.

Playoffs:

Switzerland 3 - Belarus 2....Czech Republic 3 - Latvia 2...Slovakia 4 - Norway 3: Again, parity, parity, parity. Hiller churns out another great performance. I was hoping for a gigantic upset by Latvia or Norway.

Canada 7 - Russia 3: The most dominant period of hockey I've ever seen. Playing Germany definitely helped Canada. They showed up to play. Remarkably similar to the 2005 WJC gold medal game. Tough as nails hockey, cycling for periods that looked like they'd never end. We finally saw why this team was built the way it was. Kind of unfortunate that a pre-tournament favourite got eliminated, but it's how it ended.

Slovakia 4 - Sweden 3: This game had me pumped up beyond words in the early hours of the morning because A. I finally got a sizable and meaningful upset and B. Canada didn't have to play Sweden. I was pretty unimpressed with Sweden's lack of urgency in the dying minutes.

Canada 3 - Slovakia 2: I was incredibly nervous that entire last minute, and my joy of seeing Slovakia make it to this point almost turned around to bite me in the ass. Luongo on Demitra was absolute clutch.

United States 6 - Finland 1: Pretty much solidified what the US was trying to tell the doubters: "We're really good, and we're not ****ing around". SIX GOALS in one period. Unfortunate game for Kipper, but at least he bounced back and won Bronze.

Finland 5 - Slovakia 3: I didn't see it, but I can imagine the comeback by the Finns was pretty intense.

Canada 3 - USA 2 (OT): Epic, historical, everything it was built up to be. We waited 4 years for Olympic redemption. We waited a few months for International hockey redemption from the US. We waited one week for redemption in this tournament alone. Tied up with 25 seconds left by the son of a '72 Super Series player turned American, won by Sidney Crosby of all people in Overtime (only the second GMG to go to the extra frame). This was the record-breaking 14th medal for Canada. This was the most fitting end possible to such a fantastic tournament. The team with all the pressure in the world to win this played the team that had to re-book it's flights because they didn't expect to be there. After so many surprises, the nation that would accept no other result at home got what it wanted. I haven't even been around for two decades, but this moment meant more to me as a sports fan and as a Canadian than any other. The game had everything you could ask for. Everyone wins.

So, the finals was obviously my choice, what was yours?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Its obviously the gold medal game.

But two games that I thoroughly enjoyed were Slovakia's win over Russia and Latvia's near upset vs Czech Republic. Hossa, Demitra and Halak were godlike in the Slovakia game.

Come to think of it, every game Slovakia played was pretty incredible.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
the gold medal game. It was close and throughout the game you had no idea who would win. Great nail biter.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
gold medal game by far

can/rus was great because canada execute their game plan to perfection and the 1st 20 minute was the best ive seen any team play ever in my life

but one of my favorite earlier in the tournament was RUS/SVK

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Finland 5 - Slovakia 3 - The comeback after the horrible second period was just something else to me as a Finn.

HM: Didn't really care who won the final, but it was still exciting.

Yelnats Puc

Brust 'em up!
Aug 30, 2007
Ottawa
I didn't watch too many of the non-Canada games, but it seems like every game I watched turned into a thriller. Switzerland/Norway, Slovakia/Finland, Slovakia/Sweden, Finland/Czech Republic, and Sweden/Belarus were all thoroughly exciting games. I really thought this was a fantastic tournament for hockey, regardless of what country you cheer for.

Of course for me, the Gold medal game takes the crown. With all the hype around Canada potentially breaking the record for most gold medals, I found myself living-and-dying with every goal in the game. When Crosby scored in overtime I nearly leaped through the roof.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
The first Canada - USA game was by far the best imho.

Definitely. Overall quality of the play, the tempo, the energy level of both teams, the end to end action, you name it. With the single exception of Brodeur's goaltending, everything about this game was better than any other game of the tournament.

Second best was Canada-Russia, and third was the gold medal game. I don't care if it was close, I don't care that it went to overtime, the play itself just wasn't as exciting as those other games.

Kent

Apr 16, 2009
So, what do you guys think of these games versus the nhl games that been played so far this year and the last playoffs?

for me, can-us is the most exciting game i've seen since swe-fin 2006. :handclap:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The Final is the obvious answer but Switzerland-Norway was great. A lot of people probably didn't see that one but it's definitely worth searching out.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
1. Gold medal game
2. Bronze medal game
3. USA 2 Suisse 0 was pretty dramatic
4. Canada/Russia quarter final, would be #1 if Russia had shown up

USA/Finland semi was the worst and most boring game I seen....but I missed the first period lol.

I am going to miss the daily 3pm est hockey game. :(

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Final is the obvious answer but Switzerland-Norway was great. A lot of people probably didn't see that one but it's definitely worth searching out.

I watched that one at the bottom of a ski hill.

It was on in the bar, and it was amazing how by the middle of the 3rd, everyone was watching it and getting into it.

Pretty exciting game, that's for sure.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Definitely. Overall quality of the play, the tempo, the energy level of both teams, the end to end action, you name it. With the single exception of Brodeur's goaltending, everything about this game was better than any other game of the tournament.

Second best was Canada-Russia, and third was the gold medal game. I don't care if it was close, I don't care that it went to overtime, the play itself just wasn't as exciting as those other games.

I agree, the final wasn't nearly as good as the first game between those two teams. It was a great tactical performance, especially by Canada, but as a hockey game it simply wasn't as good as the first one, nor was it anywhere near as entertaining.

As for the second best game, I'd say Switzerland-Canada. While Canada-Russia had some amazing offense, it tailed off in the third period, as the game was already decided. Switzerland-Canada, on the other hand, got closer and closer, the game was more even and thus more entertaining.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
I am going to say the gold medal game hands down. Canana's most dominant game was against Russia though they played probably some of the most dominant hockey I have ever seen in a game.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Even if the gold medal game hadn't been for the gold medal, it would still have been a great game.

CAN-RUS was also a good game if you're Canadian.

Judrix

Teuvo is Kane's son
Feb 24, 2010
Chicago
Both USA-Canada games were awesome, but the best has to be the gold medal game only because of whats at stake, I was sitting on pins and needles the whole game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad