Best forward taken in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
LaLaLaprise said:
Actually Macias didnt finish #1

He was the best on team Davidson but Ryan Parent beat him in the lap. Dustin Kohn beat him in the 150' dash and Ryan Parent beat him in the 60' dash.
I know .. but he was more complete ;) like people at HF.com prefer to say ;) And my №1 remark wasn't about result - it was about skating, Latendresse and Ryan ;)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
norrisnick said:
Clearly Justin Abdelkader.

Can I ask you why you just keep writing that? Not that I don't agree with you, maybe you could elaborate on young Justin's attributes a bit more, I saw his HF profile but nothing really stands out, it seems as though you know him personally :dunno:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
Can I ask you why you just keep writing that? Not that I don't agree with you, maybe you could elaborate on young Justin's attributes a bit more, I saw his HF profile but nothing really stands out, it seems as though you know him personally :dunno:

He's being sarcastic,

Us Red Wing fans were dying to get a guy like Latendresse in our system (Potential Powerforward), when our turn came in the second round Latendresse was still there, but the Wings decided to skip him and take Abdelkader instead :madfire:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
LaLaLaprise said:
GMs were stupid and bought the whole "he cant skate tag" that was given to him when Bobby Ryan was just as bad but that part of his game was overlooked because he had big time skills.

GM's were able to look past the skating for Bobby Ryan but not for Latendresse.

you honestly believe that? :shakehead

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Birko19 said:
He's being sarcastic,

Us Red Wing fans were dying to get a guy like Latendresse in our system (Potential Powerforward), when our turn came in the second round Latendresse was still there, but the Wings decided to skip him and take Abdelkader instead :madfire:
:teach:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Birko19 said:
He's being sarcastic,

Latendresse might end up the better player, but it's not hard to see why the Wings went with Abdelkader. He's skilled, quick, has good size, is a hard worker, and is a local product.

Last edited:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
LaLaLaprise said:
GMs were stupid and bought the whole "he cant skate tag" that was given to him when Bobby Ryan was just as bad but that part of his game was overlooked because he had big time skills.

GM's are not stupid, but they clearly see something in Ryan's game that Latendresse does't have even if they're both bad skaters, Ryan is a dominant forward and I see a lot of Rick Nash in him, Latendresse is a decent prospect as well but there's a reason why he was't picked so high, if he was a big shot he would've went top 10.

Of course GM's can be proved wrong in a couple of years, but from my experience I've seen how some players fall off the top 10/15, in our Red Wing system we have Hudler, drafted 58th in 2002 and was supposed to be a top 15 pick, 3 years later I think Hudler was a steal but I think he'll barely make the top 15 mark for that year, perhaps top 20. McGrath is another guy, he was ranked in the top 10 for 2004 draft, of course at the time of the draft we took him 128th overall, a year later and I see why he was passed on, because he'll barely make it as a late 1st rounder for that year.

Latendresse is a solid prospect, but I think 20 random prospects from the 2005 are easily better then him, if he was a top 10 talent then the Montreal GM was a dummi as well for passing on him and taking Price at 5th.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
LaLaLaprise said:

I see... so GM's and scouts were dumb, but you know the truth. :biglaugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Birko19 said:
He's being sarcastic,

I thought he was being sarcastic, but usually there's some kind of smiley attached to those kinds of post...either way...

Pure foolisheness that Latendresse dropped out of the 1st round :shakehead

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Latendresse might end up the better player, but it's not hard to see why the Wings wentwith Abdelkader. He's skilled, quick, has good size, is a hard worker, and is a local product.

Abdelkader is a safe pick, and I think the Wings already took a high risk at Kindl in the 1st round so they felt that taking another risk might not be worth it when there's quality safe players on board.

This is another reason why Latendresse fell, a lot of teams drafted their needs, and frankly Latendresse did't meet a lot of certain needs (Although the Wings are clearly in need of a PF in their system).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Latendresse might end up the better player, but it's not hard to see why the Wings wentwith Abdelkader. He's skilled, quick, has good size, is a hard worker, and is a local product.
Who has the potential upside of a checking-line winger. You don't use a 2nd rounder for that, IMO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
norrisnick said:
Who has the potential upside of a checking-line winger. You don't use a 2nd rounder for that, IMO.

I think it's a bit early in his development to decide what his upside is. He hasn't even played a year at Michigan State yet!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Barnaby said:
I see... so GM's and scouts were dumb, but you know the truth. :biglaugh:

Yup. lol

I just think they grossly blew out of propertion his skating.

It really is not that bad. It isnt great but there are a lot of NHLers who get by with average skating.

I think the main problem is though that latendresse looks awkward out there as well. Often times smaller guys will look much faster than they are and big guys look clumsy.

The QMJHL is a speed league and Lats had no problem keeping up.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
wow, I want to live in your world. wait, no I don't.

hey I'm not saying the guys sucks and won't amount to anything, he may very well prove all those teams wrong and be a great pick. But I don't think there's any way that it was just his skating that caused him to drop so far. If he had such a high upside, even questions about his skating wouldn't have deterred teams. There's something else in there, maybe they felt he was more risky because his skills may not transfer to the NHL as well, who knows. But every team just being stupid and ignoring him just because of skating even though "he's so awesome otherwise" is just...a foolish notion.

and again, teams could be wrong too! I'm not saying he's a crap prospect! I would have been fine with the Rangers drafting him there.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Levitate said:
wow, I want to live in your world. wait, no I don't.

hey I'm not saying the guys sucks and won't amount to anything, he may very well prove all those teams wrong and be a great pick. But I don't think there's any way that it was just his skating that caused him to drop so far. If he had such a high upside, even questions about his skating wouldn't have deterred teams. There's something else in there, maybe they felt he was more risky because his skills may not transfer to the NHL as well, who knows. But every team just being stupid and ignoring him just because of skating even though "he's so awesome otherwise" is just...a foolish notion.

and again, teams could be wrong too! I'm not saying he's a crap prospect! I would have been fine with the Rangers drafting him there.

His shoulder played a part in there as well no doubt but everytime Latendresses name was brought up on draft day, McGuire, Miller and McKenzie bashed on his skating. They get most of their info from NHL scouts/GM's.

Personally I think a lot of it had to with skating and obviously his shoulder as well.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Kvashinator12 said:
Is this just another thread for MTL fans to pat themselves on the back for Latendresse. Is there a hidden motive here :D

Considering the thread starter isin't a Habs fan, I highly doubt it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad