Movies: Best Film of the Year: 2016

Best Film of the Year 2016?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Villeneuve doing really well in these polls. I have Arrival pretty low on the list of his movies but it's still one of the best of this year.

1. Sicario
2. Blade Runner 2049
3. Prisoners
4. Arrival
5. Enemy

I think Enemy was just a bit too abstract for me. I loved it on a technical level though.

Still need to see Incendies.

Weird, really didn't care much for Sicario... I have it:

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Enemy
3. Arrival
4. Un 32 août sur terre
5. Prisoners
6. Polytechnique
7. Sicario
8. Maelström (which I should see again, but I have a very negative memory of it)

Haven't seen Incendies either!

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My take on it has nothing to do with morals or acceptability (in fact, I kind of think this is an invalid position towards art), I think the same angle could have been used to make a very good film, but I just thought this one was pretty weak.
I would agree that art has nothing to do with acceptability but if a movie is attacked on moral grounds, as was often the case with Elle, than I think a discussion concerning such assertions is fair game. I believe also that a movie, even though it is no one's intent to do so, can have an influence on a viewer's moral outlook-, i.e. can help change the way that person thinks about a social issue, though I see that only as a potential byproduct of a work, not an indication of its overall quality. There are larger issues, too, such as can a work of art be immoral, for instance, worthy of examination but....well, I've started New Year's celebrations a little early and I am in no earthly shape to tackle any of those type questions currently. :laugh: Might make for an interesting thread, though....

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Weird, really didn't care much for Sicario... I have it:

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Enemy
3. Arrival
4. Un 32 août sur terre
5. Prisoners
6. Polytechnique
7. Sicario
8. Maelström (which I should see again, but I have a very negative memory of it)

Haven't seen Incendies either!
The combination of del Toro's character, the way they're consistently able to build tension, and above all else the cinematography is just next level to me. I think it's probably the most well shot movie I've seen this decade, which is crazy to me considering Deakins also did BR 2049 with Villeneuve and a movie that is so much more grounded in reality compared to that is able to stand out to me that much. BR was gorgeous, but there was so much in Sicario that was incredible to me in terms of lighting and camera movement. It's shot in an environment that shouldn't have much variety to it, but it's done in a way where everything is still presented in an interesting fashion.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I would agree that art has nothing to do with acceptability but if a movie is attacked on moral grounds, as was often the case with Elle, than I think a discussion concerning such assertions is fair game. I believe also that a movie, even though it is no one's intent to do so, can have an influence on a viewer's moral outlook-, i.e. can help change the way that person thinks about a social issue, though I see that only as a potential byproduct of a work, not an indication of its overall quality. There are larger issues, too, such as can a work of art be immoral, for instance, worthy of examination but....well, I've started New Year's celebrations a little early and I am in no earthly shape to tackle any of those type questions currently. :laugh: Might make for an interesting thread, though....

I'd love to have a thread on that. Happy new years to all of you HF heathens.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Agree 100%. And I think a film that would induce such discussion would only prove its worth by doing so. I don't think Elle deserves such discussion, nor that it contains enough serious material to feed any sustained debate. Happy new year to you kihei (and Amerika and other cinephiles out here).

The combination of del Toro's character, the way they're consistently able to build tension, and above all else the cinematography is just next level to me. I think it's probably the most well shot movie I've seen this decade, which is crazy to me considering Deakins also did BR 2049 with Villeneuve and a movie that is so much more grounded in reality compared to that is able to stand out to me that much. BR was gorgeous, but there was so much in Sicario that was incredible to me in terms of lighting and camera movement. It's shot in an environment that shouldn't have much variety to it, but it's done in a way where everything is still presented in an interesting fashion.

All valid, and it was certainly a nice movie. I think I gave it 5 or 6/10, which is to me a good rating, but I need to be somehow challenged to go over that and I thought it was a pretty *simple* film overall (not exactly the word I'm looking for, in French we say convenu, which seems to translate to conventional, which is even farther to what I want to say). Anyway, speaking of cinematography, have a look at Too Old to Die Young if you haven't already, very nice job on that level. Goltzius and the Pelican Company is another film I am curious about in part to its cinematography...

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Sorry, but Elle is junk. It is an 80s erotic thriller, that the audience no longer needs or wants. I absolutely hate the plot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad