Best fighters in the top 100 of this year's draft?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've seen Duncan Siemens lose 1 fight in the WHL in two years. That was his fight on the weekend.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
How would you rank the WHL draft eligible kids in terms of fighting? Siemens, Kessy, McNeil, etc.

Out of those 3 listed, I haven't seen McNeill fight live. The other two are both very good.

Three other good dub fighters:

Travis Ewanyk in Edmonton.
Graeme Craig in Swift Current.
Darren Dietz in Saskatoon.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Out of those 3 listed, I haven't seen McNeill fight live. The other two are both very good.

Three other good dub fighters:

Travis Ewanyk in Edmonton.
Graeme Craig in Swift Current.
Darren Dietz in Saskatoon.

Where would you rank these guys + Kessy and Siemens.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kessy looks like a bit of a nut from the YT vids. Where is he projected to go?

I don't know but he's EXACTLY what the Oilers need. We just added Teubert. Teubert, Kessy, and Peckham would be a nice start for us to get tougher to play against.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Guys that could go in top 4 rounds from the WHL that are good fighters

1. Kale Kessy - Big and strong decent offensive upside. Little bit crazy. hell of a fighter. Lots of talk about him going as high as the 2nd round

2. Mitch Elliot - Huge. Decent skater and adjusting to his frame.

3. Duncan Siemans - The best guy that can fight. Probably don't want him fighting too much. Is real mean and nasty.

4. Mark McNeil - Can catch guys who don't realize how tough he is.

5. Colin Jacobs - Hasn't fought as much this year but can

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Guys that could go in top 4 rounds from the WHL that are good fighters

1. Kale Kessy - Big and strong decent offensive upside. Little bit crazy. hell of a fighter. Lots of talk about him going as high as the 2nd round

2. Mitch Elliot - Huge. Decent skater and adjusting to his frame.

3. Duncan Siemans - The best guy that can fight. Probably don't want him fighting too much. Is real mean and nasty.

4. Mark McNeil - Can catch guys who don't realize how tough he is.

5. Colin Jacobs - Hasn't fought as much this year but can

Mcneil and Jacobs play a poerforward type game and fight a little but they aren't big fighters, they are very capable of handling themselves however. I expect that once they get a bit older they will fight more.

Out of the OHL Carter Sandlak is a pretty decent fighter who is picked to be a sleeper that could go much higher then you would think.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
In this list (without Siemens), who have a NHL potential ? And the upside ?

I think Kessy could one day be a 3rd liner. Ewanyk is similar to a Steve Ott type of player. Might have 3rd line potential. Dietz reminds me a lot of Cory Sarich. Could be a 5th or 6th NHL defender one day.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Top Fighters in the Draft

I think we've been over this before, but I couldn't find the thread. Who are the tough guys in this draft

I remember there was this kid in the Q who was tough as nails, and looked like a great fighter, but I totally forgot his name.

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
I think we've been over this before, but I couldn't find the thread. Who are the tough guys in this draft

I remember there was this kid in the Q who was tough as nails, and looked like a great fighter, but I totally forgot his name.

Probably Samuel Noreau from Baie-Comeau. Great fighter.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
If you're looking for a pure tough guy who's a heavyweight without worrying about the fact his actual hockey skills have to come a long way Derek Mathers is you're guy. He's a 230 pound 17 year old who will fight and beat anyone.

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
THat is right, thank you very much. I wonder where he might get picked

That's from one the Red Line Report earlier this year:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2011-02-18-red-line-report_N.htm

• One Quebec League player who is quietly generating some interest is Samuel Noreau. He's a huge defenseman at 6-5, 215 pounds, and one of the top fighters in the league. He has OK mobility and decent skill, but doesn't get many viewings on a bad Baie Comeau club without any skilled players to watch. But Noreau could develop into a tough-as-nails #5-6 blue-liner. He hasn't broken into our top 100 yet, but we'd venture a guess that some team might grab him as high as the third round based on need and team philosophy.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
If you're looking for a pure tough guy who's a heavyweight without worrying about the fact his actual hockey skills have to come a long way Derek Mathers is you're guy. He's a 230 pound 17 year old who will fight and beat anyone.

Does he have any kind of talent other than his fists? I know you said he has to come a long way, but is there legitimate talent to work with?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Does he have any kind of talent other than his fists? I know you said he has to come a long way, but is there legitimate talent to work with?

He's not an absolutely terrible skater and he'll hit anything that moves. I believe he was a defenseman growing up and in minor midget and only switched to wing in juniors so he's still learning some offensive skill. Peterborough was not a good team this year which hurt him because he didn't have very good linemates most of the time and helped him because he got to play a fair bit by the end of the year. He definitely got better as the season went along based on my limited viewings. He's definitely a long shot to make it in today's NHL but it wouldn't surprise me for somebody to use a late round pick on him.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Austin Connor of the Prince Albert Raiders is worth mentioning. 6'4, 228lbs 104 PIMs. You can find quite a few of his scraps on Youtube (including some where he gets fed - vs Michael Ferlund).

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Kale Kessy, i have heard some very light comparisions to Lucic. heard he can really throw em and lays devastating hits. had a good fight with Mcilrath where he stuck right with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->