Best fighter/soughest players for this draft....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Best fighter/toughest players for this draft....?

The only stipulation is that they have to have a legitamit shot at actaully having an NHL carreer.

So who would u rate as the best fighters/tough guys with the potential to be third/fourth line type of players that can actually skate and play enough to NOT be a liability on the ice?

I'm not looking for the one dimensional goon, he's gotta be able to play a bit as well.

and if anyone can fix or tell me how to fix the spelling the goof in the title, it would be appriciated.

thanks

:jump:

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Dane Byers from the Prince Albert Raiders is that type of guy. Maybe not quite at the Heavyweight level but a very tough agitating kid who can skate and if he works on his puck skills a bit could turn into a good 3rd 4th line agitator who's not afraid to drop the gloves.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Nick Fugere is 6'2 1/2 and 230 pounds. He isn't a huge fighter, or at least wasn't this year (was more last year), but he is big, very big. He's similar to Anthony Stewart IN THAT when he drops them he is amazingly tough. Of course, he is neither as fast, or even as close to as good in general as Stewart.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
This is sort of a tough question because most players who become solid third line player-fighters are top line scorers as juniors. Domi, Brashear, Laraque and Worrell never led their junior teams in scoring but they all put up respectable numbers.

Sometimes fighting is the only way to stick with a team so maybe the guys you are looking for aren't yet considered fighters. Not to say the four goons above weren't always goons.

So maybe a few "power forwards" in this years draft will one day resort to dropping the gloves in order to stick around the league.

Can Brian Bickell fight? How about Adam Berti?

I know for a fact Vaclav Miedl likes to drop 'em. He might be your guy.

A Czech enforcer, eh? :joker:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
mazmin said:
This is sort of a tough question because most players who become solid third line player-fighters are top line scorers as juniors. Domi, Brashear, Laraque and Worrell never led their junior teams in scoring but they all put up respectable numbers.

Sometimes fighting is the only way to stick with a team so maybe the guys you are looking for aren't yet considered fighters. Not to say the four goons above weren't always goons.

So maybe a few "power forwards" in this years draft will one day resort to dropping the gloves in order to stick around the league.

Can Brian Bickell fight? How about Adam Berti?

I know for a fact Vaclav Miedl likes to drop 'em. He might be your guy.

A Czech enforcer, eh? :joker:

Bickell is not really a fighter. When he's on (which was not often enough this year), he's a physical beast, but more in the hitting department. While I wouldn't say he's really adversed to dropping em, he's not a fighter.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Valabik is the easy answer. Clearly has NHL potential, and better than fringe depth player upside to boot. He is a tough mother who fight anyone.

Logan Stephenson from the WHL is another. He's a real brawler and an intimidating force in the Western league. He is also a legit prospect, although seen as more of a depth role player. He plays mostly D, but has seen some time as a forward from what I understand.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I'm with Dr. Sen(s), Stephenson gets my vote.

After him I'd mention Fistric, Chucko, Weller.

After that, there's guys with less talent. Vince Goulet will drop 'em with anyone but he's not huge. His teammate Trevor Ludwig didn't rack up crazy PIM's but he's got no fear. If you want more of a straight ahead goon, then I'd go with Fugere or manchild Phil Axtell.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
mazmin said:
How about Adam Berti?

Berti's one of the first names that popped up when I saw the description. The guy didn't fight a lot last year but, when he did, he chalked up some pretty convicing wins. (including the best one punch of the year in the OHL on national tv against Hendrix) I expect with Eager out of the picture and a seemingly tough-"friendly" coaching staff in place (granted Burnett wasn't a big anti-fighting guy either) , Berti will probably throw down a lot more next year. In fact, I believe McKeens just named him one of the two strongest players in the draft.

Of course he is also a tremendous skater and has some untapped offensive potential so he isn't going to be drafted as a goon.

Bickell is another guy who is very big and strong but didn't fight a lot. (though I don't think he is as talented a fighter as Berti) He could fit the original description but his skating isn't great and I've never actually seen him fight live.

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:
Bruce Graham :joker: 6'6 , has a big size advantage over anyone !

I've seen him fight a few times. He's got the reach advantage. He can hold his own, put it that way!!
By the way I believe he won all his fights. He's working on his toughness. You can tell by the way he plays that he's trying to be more physical.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
thanks for all th input.

As a bruins fan, with a low second round pick as our first in the draft, i'd be willing to spend it on someone with the potential that i listed.

Not a goon per say, and doesnt have to fight all the time, but when he does, look out! pluys a physical force checking wise on the ice would be perfect.

Sounds like alot of good players for that type of role listed, thanks for info!

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Valabik is the easy answer. Clearly has NHL potential, and better than fringe depth player upside to boot. He is a tough mother who fight anyone.

Logan Stephenson from the WHL is another. He's a real brawler and an intimidating force in the Western league. He is also a legit prospect, although seen as more of a depth role player. He plays mostly D, but has seen some time as a forward from what I understand.

You have to be kidding me ....VALABIK LMAOOOOOO this guy is just tall, he got his A** kicked by Brandon Prust a little 5'9 agitator with the Knights ........he's just tall, he'd get beat down if he ever makes it to the NHL which I think he won't

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Ill change the topic because I think a lot of the people were skirting the original question by talking about people like Ladd who will be more of a Power Forward. Lets stick to just good fighters coming out of the juniors who will be Enforcers if they make it. I think it is a legit and interesting question.

Heck enforcers on both teams even got ice time in the Finals this year, maybe fighting is on the upswing again :yo: :yo:

For any Stars fans out there. How is Matt Nickerson developing.

Divine Wind

not sure about Zdenek Bahensky, but man did he ever rack up a lot of penalty minutes with 204 last season.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Evan Schafer from the Pricne Albert Raiders is a pretty tough kid. He is ranked 56th in N.A. He's 6'2 221 and had 190 PIM in 71 games. He's been given the name The Mankota Mangler here in P.A. 190 PIM isn't much to brag about but he plays a pretty good regular shift aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->