Best fight ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I know that this can be a sore subject around here and I am hoping that this doesnt turn into another pissing contest between the people that like fights and the people that dont. There was another thread on here about the biggest *** kickings that you have seen and it was very civil. So I am going to throw this out and hope for the best. I hope noone from either side messes this up but what do you all think was the best fight ever.

Here are some of mine.

Ryan VandenBusche vs Kyle Frederick-The more times I see this fight the more I like it and it would be either my top one or right there this is a very tough fight that was toe to toe and saw both guys bloodied and Frederick even lost some teeth or Caps of Teeth.

Marty McSorley Vs Bob Probert-This is the one that occured in Joe Louis Arena when Marty was in his second stint with the Penguins and seemed to go on for ever.

John Kordic vs Basil McRae-These two fought eadh other a lot but this one is my favorite. It occured right by the benches in the Old Gardens in Toronto possibly right at the start of the game I dont remember that but it was toe to toe with lots of punches landed and both guys switching hands and giving as good as they got and was too close to call.

Dave Brown vs Bob Probert-This one occured when Brown was in Edmonton and Brown appeared to have the edge early but Probie cam back strong and edged brown in a great fight between two of the best ever.

Tie Domi vs Bob Probert 2-This was in Madison Square Garden and was one of the more hyped fights of all time and it didnt let people down. Probert defeated the smaller Domi but he had to bring his A game to do it and although Tie lost this bout he put up a hell of a fight as well.

Mark Tinordi vs Jason Smith-I went off the board here but this fight was a great one it occured in front of one of the goals and originally it looked like Tinordi and Domi were going to go but Jason Smith stepped in and went toe to toe with Tinordi in a Rock em Sock em bout.

Bob McGill vs Kris King- This was an old Norris Division battle in the Chicago Stadium and the best way I can describe this one is a big time battle with both guys landing heavy shots and it was a fairly long battle as well.

Ron Delorme vs Jamie Macoun-This one should really be higher on the list flat out toe to toe with Delorme getting the edge late. Definatly top 5 maybe higher.

Darcy Hordichuk vs Mel Anglestad-This is a minor league fight but has to be on this list and definatly higher it is as even of a fight as you are going to see with both guys landing a ton.

Wendel Clark vs Behn Wilson-This was in Wendel's rookie year and he took on Big Behn and lost the fight but he also landed some very good shots on one of the toughest guys ever and anounced that he was a force as well.

Darin Kimble vs Shane Churla-this is the best fight I have seen live it was during the 90-91 playoffs round 2 Blues vs Stars and at the end of Game 5 if I rember correct these two guys decide to go and they go toe to toe. Switching hands and landing many punches. This is on one of the earlier Don Cherry videos for sure and Bill Clement Comments during the fight "Its times like this that I am glad I am sitting here. Thats what you call going toe to toe folks."

I could rant on like this a lot more. I hope the discussin doesnt go south because that wasnt my intention.

Pielsman

Sep 21, 2003
Ct
How about Cam Neely vs Rick Tocchet ? The one I'm thinking of, Neely had taken a bunch of facial stiches earlier in the game, but they went toe to toe with lots of hard shots landed.

Stan Jonathans beatdown of the big Habs player (forgot his name, Bouchard ?).

Plenty of other good ones out there, the two above just came to mind first. :)

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Marty vs. Probie....thinking about that bout gives me chills to this day. For all of his personal faults, Probie seemed to relish the opportunity to fight. I remember the crowd responded more to that fight than ANY sequence in the game that day.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Pielsman said:
How about Cam Neely vs Rick Tocchet ? The one I'm thinking of, Neely had taken a bunch of facial stiches earlier in the game, but they went toe to toe with lots of hard shots landed.

Those are both great calls especially the beatdown of Stan Jonathan on Pierre Bouchard. That is the second bloodiest fight I have seen the first would be Darin Kimble over Mark Laforge. Kimble opened up Laforge around the eye and there was a ton of blood on the ice.

Kimble also had a very good toe to toe bout with the late John Kordic then of the Nordiques that I had the good fortune to see live in STL.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
8snake said:
Marty vs. Probie....thinking about that bout gives me chills to this day. For all of his personal faults, Probie seemed to relish the opportunity to fight. I remember the crowd responded more to that fight than ANY sequence in the game that day.
They had a few good ones but the best to me was the one when Marty was in his secons stint with the Penguins and was one of the longest fights ever.

Probie was the best in my opinion and had very few weaknesses as a fighter on the ice.

He had two lengendary toe to toe bout with Craig Coxe and a very good toe toe toe bout with Link Gaetz when link was with the Sharks. It didnt last long but both guys landed bombs and cut eadh other. this one occured in the Cow Palace when the Sharks played there and is also on the Don Cherry tapes.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Not trying to hijack this excellent thread, but the biggest letdown was when Joe Thornton and Eric Lindros (even after all the concussions) went at it....watched the game on CI and actually stood up when Lindros grabbed Joe...then boom, Lindros kinda accidentally catches Joe in the eye and it's over before it even began.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Pielsman said:

Rick Tocchet and Brad May had some very good fight when May was cutting his teeth in the league.

Tocchet and Probert also had a very good bout that was one of the dirtier fights that I have seen with both guys resorting to the headbutt.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
That's because Tocchet is a mean, nasty, sour S.O.B with a VERY bad disposition off the ice let alone on it. He's the kind of guy that would nail you with a hockey stick or cut you with a skate blade if it was legal. Never liked the guy, but he's a hard nut, that's for sure.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
8snake said:
Not trying to hijack this excellent thread, but the biggest letdown was when Joe Thornton and Eric Lindros (even after all the concussions) went at it....watched the game on CI and actually stood up when Lindros grabbed Joe...then boom, Lindros kinda accidentally catches Joe in the eye and it's over before it even began.
Yep he Broke Joe's orbital bine in that one if I remember correct. Lindros is a big powerfull kid. Thornton had a very good toe to toe bout with someone in his rookie year that I remember seeing a clip of. Maybe someone else can help me out with the name.

Brendan Shanahan had some beauties with Derian Hatcher and Mark Tinordi during his tenure with the Blues.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
8snake said:
That's because Tocchet is a mean, nasty, sour S.O.B with a VERY bad disposition off the ice let alone on it. He's the kind of guy that would nail you with a hockey stick or cut you with a skate blade if it was legal. Never liked the guy, but he's a hard nut, that's for sure.
Definatly the kind of guy you love on your team but hate when you have to line up against him.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Pielsman said:

You beat me to the punch(pun intended) with Stan Jonathan vs. Pierre Bouchard. New England Sports Network did a "Retro" show on the Bruins-Habs rivalry, and this bout is a prominent feature of the B's Lunch Pail era of the late 70's.

http://www.angelfire.com/az/HockeyFightTapes/list.html

One highly anticipated bout I remember from several years ago was Bob Probert vs. Troy Crowder at Joe Louis Arena.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Terrier said:
You beat me to the punch(pun intended) with Stan Jonathan vs. Pierre Bouchard. New England Sports Network did a "Retro" show on the Bruins-Habs rivalry, and this bout is a prominent feature of the B's Lunch Pail era of the late 70's.

http://www.angelfire.com/az/HockeyFightTapes/list.html

One highly anticipated bout I remember from several years ago was Bob Probert vs. Troy Crowder at Joe Louis Arena.
Great call on Crowder-Probert. They went twice in that game if I remember correct.

That was another great thing about a young Probie. If you beat him you knew you were going to go again. Todd Ewen beat him in one of his first few NHL fights KO'd him and Probie fought him in the same game and got the edge on Ewen.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I always loved Probert / Domi 2. Mostly because Domi had his loud mouth shut and Yzerman, standing on the bench at the time, giving the heavyweight belt sign back to Domi.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Joe Thornton's rookie year duke em out was with Dave Scatchard.

Jay Miller and John Kordic had a nice series of bouts from 87 to 89 or so.

Gord Kluzak and Bob Probert had a painful looking go in 85-86. No rassling, just toe to toe, you take your turn and ill take mine tossing. It made me wince at home, I can only imagine how the shots felt.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
c-carp said:
Probie was the best in my opinion and had very few weaknesses as a fighter on the ice.

He had two lengendary toe to toe bout with Craig Coxe and a very good toe toe toe bout with Link Gaetz when link was with the Sharks. It didnt last long but both guys landed bombs and cut eadh other.

Probert and Link was the first one I thought of when I saw this thread. They had a couple of good ones. I heard Probert say that Link was his toughest opponent.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
brianscot said:

Gord Kluzak and Bob Probert had a painful looking go in 85-86. No rassling, just toe to toe, you take your turn and ill take mine tossing. It made me wince at home, I can only imagine how the shots felt.
Probert had a nemesis on every team. I remember some great battles with Kevin Maguire of the Sabres back in the day. They probably don't match up with some of the aforementioned, but they were entertaining regardless.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
c-carp said:
Tocchet and Probert also had a very good bout that was one of the dirtier fights that I have seen with both guys resorting to the headbutt.

I remember that fight. One of the dirtier fights I've ever seen. They were close to the blueline, along the boards and suddenly Tocchet just leans in and bam, headbutted Probie twice. Then while they were in close Probert got him back with a headbutt.

Among those not mentioned:

A more recent one, in middleweight guys was PJ Stock vs. Stephen Peat. There were a ton of punches thrown in that one. It was only 30s long, but both guys never let up.

McSorely and Langdon also had a great tilt when Marty was with the Sharks and Langer was with the Rangers. It lasted over 2mins and they were both completely exhausted by the end. Maybe not one of the greatest, a good long one.

I think it's been mentioned but Jay Miller vs. John Kordic were great fights. Has Terry Carkner vs. Lyndon Byers been mentioned? Great toe to toe action.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
if you can get there before the new ones get uploads, hockeyfights.com has 'classic fights' on right now, sweet video of Shanahan Vs. D.Hatcher. One of my favourite fights ever!

*Mourns the death of the blue hockey shirt*

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
brianscot said:

Yeah, Kordic and Miller. Miller was like Basil McRae. You'd think the other guy was destroying him, but they'd always come back late in the fight. Must have had hard heads I guess.

I always remember 2 guys in the 60's who'd get into it during the Hab/Leafs games. Ted Harris and Orland Kurtenbach. Both tall rangy guys, they wouldn't even grab the sweaters, they'd box for as long as they had the wind. I saw them get knocked down, get up and knock down the other guy. There was never a question of fighting when the guy was down, the linesman would wait for their signal to step in. It was actually quite gentlemanly. Terry Harper of Mtl. challenged Kurtenback one night and it became like a Gatti fight. Harper was a mess, Kurt didn't want to keep hitting him, but Harper, who lost most of his many fights, wouldn't quit. It may have been the mist blood I've ver seen in a hockey fight. Of course, I don't condone this sort of barbarian behavior.

Funny,a s a kid, we'd debate the fights in the schoolyard the next day. These days, the last 10 years, I can't get interested in tough guys lining up after the faceoff, does nothing for me.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
c-carp said:
I know that this can be a sore subject around here and I am hoping that this doesnt turn into another pissing contest between the people that like fights and the people that dont. There was another thread on here about the biggest *** kickings that you have seen and it was very civil. So I am going to throw this out and hope for the best. I hope noone from either side messes this up but what do you all think was the best fight ever.

Here are some of mine.

Ryan VandenBusche vs Kyle Frederick-The more times I see this fight the more I like it and it would be either my top one or right there this is a very tough fight that was toe to toe and saw both guys bloodied and Frederick even lost some teeth or Caps of Teeth.

Marty McSorley Vs Bob Probert-This is the one that occured in Joe Louis Arena when Marty was in his second stint with the Penguins and seemed to go on for ever.

John Kordic vs Basil McRae-These two fought eadh other a lot but this one is my favorite. It occured right by the benches in the Old Gardens in Toronto possibly right at the start of the game I dont remember that but it was toe to toe with lots of punches landed and both guys switching hands and giving as good as they got and was too close to call.

Dave Brown vs Bob Probert-This one occured when Brown was in Edmonton and Brown appeared to have the edge early but Probie cam back strong and edged brown in a great fight between two of the best ever.

Tie Domi vs Bob Probert 2-This was in Madison Square Garden and was one of the more hyped fights of all time and it didnt let people down. Probert defeated the smaller Domi but he had to bring his A game to do it and although Tie lost this bout he put up a hell of a fight as well.

Mark Tinordi vs Jason Smith-I went off the board here but this fight was a great one it occured in front of one of the goals and originally it looked like Tinordi and Domi were going to go but Jason Smith stepped in and went toe to toe with Tinordi in a Rock em Sock em bout.

Bob McGill vs Kris King- This was an old Norris Division battle in the Chicago Stadium and the best way I can describe this one is a big time battle with both guys landing heavy shots and it was a fairly long battle as well.

Ron Delorme vs Jamie Macoun-This one should really be higher on the list flat out toe to toe with Delorme getting the edge late. Definatly top 5 maybe higher.

Darcy Hordichuk vs Mel Anglestad-This is a minor league fight but has to be on this list and definatly higher it is as even of a fight as you are going to see with both guys landing a ton.

Wendel Clark vs Behn Wilson-This was in Wendel's rookie year and he took on Big Behn and lost the fight but he also landed some very good shots on one of the toughest guys ever and anounced that he was a force as well.

Darin Kimble vs Shane Churla-this is the best fight I have seen live it was during the 90-91 playoffs round 2 Blues vs Stars and at the end of Game 5 if I rember correct these two guys decide to go and they go toe to toe. Switching hands and landing many punches. This is on one of the earlier Don Cherry videos for sure and Bill Clement Comments during the fight "Its times like this that I am glad I am sitting here. Thats what you call going toe to toe folks."

I could rant on like this a lot more. I hope the discussin doesnt go south because that wasnt my intention.

It would be nice to have all these on one DVD.

jb**

JWI19 said:
God i really miss having an enforcer on the Wings. Fom Kocur and Probert to Crowder (all 17 games) to Grimson
I hear you being a Flyers fan. They have had so many great fighters over the years. The funny thing is I draw a blank on a lot fights unless someone talks about them. Several that stand out for me: Probert vs. Carkner toe to toe for several minutes. very good.
Troy Crowder running Jeff Chycrun’s career.
Ed hospdar and Chico Resch against Montreal in the playoffs during warmups. Wasn’t a fight but Dave Brown “accidently cross checking Sandtrum, priceless. Was always a big Dan Kordic fan as he had hands of granite and a good chin.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
There was a great fight between Bouchard and Schultz in the 1976 finals, and that was about the end of the Hammer's reign.It was two heavyweights squaring off and very entertaining.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
brianscot said:

Miller and Kordic is my favorite series of bouts followed closely by Domi and Ray who had some absolute beauties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad