Best Europeans by countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
We all just love top-ten lists, dont we? Here are the ten best players IMO from every true European hockey country (along with honorary mentions and some comments/excuses/whatnot). The emphasis is on international careers, and I´ve tried to stick with players who have already finished playing, but often it is just not possible.

Russians

1. Anatoli Firsov
-So many of his contemporaries consider him as the greatest ever, and his speed, slapshot and accuracy were from another planet in European hockey in the ´60s.

2. Viacheslav Fetisov
3. Valeri Kharlamov
4. Sergei Makarov
- Of the Russians Ive seen, he´s the most complete package. Awesome skater and stickhandler and almost impossible to handle 1-on-1.

5. Vsevolod Bobrov
-A dominating figure, though hockey of course was so different in the ´50s.

6. Alexander Maltsev
- A very graceful skater and puckhandler and a truly classy player.

7. Vladislav Tretiak
He just has to be here, even though I´m still not quite convinced of his greatness.

8. Pavel Bure
9. Vladimir Krutov
- Too high, eh? Try to name a top level game vs. Team Canada in which he did not score a point. And already as a 19-year old he was the Soviet who the Americans feared the most in Miracle on Ice game, I believe...

10. Valeri Vasiliev

HM´s: Boris Mikhailov, Vladimir Petrov, Igor Larionov, Alexander Ragulin, Viacheslav Starshinov, Alexander Yakushev

Czechs

1. Jaromir Jagr
- Too soon? No, I dont think so.

2. Dominik Hasek
3. Vladimir Martinec
- One of the best forwards in the world in the 70s. Period.

4. Jan Suchy
- "European Bobby Orr" :D

5. Jiri Holecek
- Mainly due to his heroics vs. the Soviets.

6. Frantisek Pospisil
- The soul of Czech defense for many many years.

7. Josef Malecek
8. Ivan Hlinka
9. Milan Novy
10. Jiri Lala
- Didn´t have an overtly long career at the very top, but was one of the best forwards in the world around, say, ´81-´86.

HM´s: Jiri Holik, Oldrich Machac, Vladimir Ruzicka, Josef Cerny, Jiri Bubla

Swedes

1. Peter Forsberg
- Never before has a Swedish player been considered the best in the world.

2. Borje Salming
3. Sven "Tumba" Johansson
4. Mats Sundin
5. Mats Naslund
6. HÃ¥kan Loob
7. Ulf Sterner
- Favorite Swede of the Canadians, right? He also had some controversial incident with a Finnish player in the sixties... but he´s one of Sweden´s best ever anyway.

8. Nicklas Lidstrom
- Better than Salming? Probably. But he´s not even nearly finished yet.

9. Kent Nilsson
10. Bengt(-Ã…ke) Gustafsson

HM´s: Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nilsson, Pelle Lindbergh, Nils Nilsson, Ronald Petterson, Peter "Pekka" Lindmark, Mats Waltin, Leif Holmqvist, Lennart Svedberg

Slovaks

1. Vaclav Nedomansky
- Not maybe a North American view, but since I have the emphasis on international careers, I will put Nedomansky on top.

2. Peter Stastny
- Sorry Mr. Stastny! If NHL careers were the measuring stick, he would be a clear winner.

3. Vladimir Dzurilla
- By all means the best ever Slovak goalie.

4. Josef Golonka
5. Peter Bondra
6. Miroslav Satan
7. Zigmund Palffy
8. Darius Rusnak
9. Dusan Pasek
10. Igor Liba

HM´s: Marian & Anton Stastny, Vincent Lukac, Zdeno Chara, Jan Starsi, Marian Hossa, Josef Stumpel

Finns

1. Jari Kurri
- Oh really?!!

2. Saku Koivu
3. Teemu Selanne
- He still got it?

4. Lasse Oksanen
5. Teppo Numminen
6. Matti Hagman
- First true Finn in the NHL.

7. Veli-Pekka Ketola
- Teammate of Bobby Hull in the Winnipeg Jets (WHA).

8. Raimo "Raipe" Helminen
- A Finnish icon; will probably continue playing until he´s 70.

9. Pekka Rautakallio
- First Finnish player in a NHL All-Star game.

10. Pekka Marjamaki

HM´s: Reijo Ruotsalainen, Aarne Honkavaara, Jarmo Myllys, Kari Jalonen, Matti Keinonen, Timo Jutila, Christian Ruuttu, Jere Lehtinen, Ville & Esa Peltonen

PS. Sorry for the (possible) glaring omissions. I´m still learning, you know. :innocent:

Last edited:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Marcus-74 said:
Slovaks

1. Peter Stastny
- Wow, that was a toughie!

2. Vladimir Dzurilla
- By all means the best ever Slovak goalie.

3. Josef Golonka
4. Peter Bondra
5. Miroslav Satan
6. Zigmund Palffy
7. Darius Rusnak
8. Dusan Pasek
9. Igor Liba
10. Vincent Lukac

HM´s: Marian & Anton Stastny, Josef Stumpel, Zdeno Chara, Jan Starsi, Marian Hossa, Josef Stumpel

Stumpel aint that good :D.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Corto said:
Personally, I'd put Selanne in front of Koivu.
:dunno:

Fair enough, and I´m not gonna make a serious argument about it. Koivu is just more versatile IMO (though not as flashy) and I like his leadership qualities.

Last edited:

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
what about france? :D

Phillipe Bozon (first french to play in the NHL)
Arnaud Briand (played more than 10 years for national team including at least 5 as captain)
Pouget (can't remember his first name but such a good player anyway)

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Not even an HM for Fedorov? IMO he deserves at least that. One of the most dominating players at both ends of the ice. Even in the new NHL, I don't think we'll see another guy win the Selke while putting up 120 points. Not to mention he also won the Hart that year.

Nice job on the list, and I agree with most of your selections (except the ones who I've never heard of ;) )

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Christian Ruutu on the list but Janne Ojanen isn't?

Juha Widing is no where

Last edited:

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Marcus-74 said:
Russians

1. Anatoli Firsov
-So many of his contemporaries consider him as the greatest ever, and his speed, slapshot and accuracy were from another planet in European hockey in the ´60s.

2. Viacheslav Fetisov
3. Valeri Kharlamov
4. Sergei Makarov
- Of the Russians Ive seen, he´s the most complete package. Awesome skater and stickhandler and almost impossible to handle 1-on-1.

5. Vsevolod Bobrov

6. Alexander Maltsev

7. Vladislav Tretiak
He just has to be here, even though I´m still not quite convinced of his greatness.

8. Pavel Bure
9. Vladimir Krutov
- Too high, eh? Try to name a top level game vs. Team Canada in which he did not score a point. And already as a 19-year old he was the Soviet who the Americans feared the most in Miracle on Ice game, I believe...

10. Valeri Vasiliev

HM´s: Boris Mikhailov, Vladimir Petrov, Igor Larionov, Alexander Ragulin, Viacheslav Starshinov, Alexander Yakushev

Good list. really dont see much i disagree with. except....

putting pavel bure on a list of great russians ahead of igor larionov is insane. Igor was one of the best russians ever when it came to international play. Easily. and he did it for 2 decades. dont get me wrong, bure was one of the most electrifying players to ever lace em up, and when him mogilny and fedorov played in the WJC in 89 they were simply amazing, but to put pavel ahead of him on a list with an emphasis on international play just doesnt make sense to me.

also, Robert reichel deserves some recognition on your list. While he may not be the best czech in the NHL, he definitely stepped it up a notch when it came time to represent his country.

maybe someone can explain it to me? :dunno:

but i guess thats just my opinion.

good list though otherwise.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
fisher said:
Not even an HM for Fedorov? IMO he deserves at least that. One of the most dominating players at both ends of the ice. Even in the new NHL, I don't think we'll see another guy win the Selke while putting up 120 points. Not to mention he also won the Hart that year.

Nice job on the list, and I agree with most of your selections (except the ones who I've never heard of ;) )

If Bure is on the list Fedorov is ahead of him somewhere. Sergei has had the best NHL career of any Russian player.

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
It would be criminal not to add Aki Berg to the Finland list. Keep in mind Aki's contributions to team Finland in international competitions.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Marcus-74 said:
Russians

1. Anatoli Firsov

2. Viacheslav Fetisov
3. Valeri Kharlamov
4. Sergei Makarov

5. Vsevolod Bobrov

6. Alexander Maltsev

7. Vladislav Tretiak

8. Pavel Bure
9. Vladimir Krutov

10. Valeri Vasiliev

Mihailov is my #1 pick. And IIHF's as well by the way.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
medmed said:
what about france? :D

Phillipe Bozon (first french to play in the NHL)
Arnaud Briand (played more than 10 years for national team including at least 5 as captain)
Pouget (can't remember his first name but such a good player anyway)
Christian Pouget ;)

I'll add Cristobal Huet (1st goalie in NHL) and Louis Magnus who created french hockey at the end of 19th century and was one of the 1st member of IIHF.
There's a lot of good players in the past as well, Denis Perez in defense (he just finished his career to coach Amiens) and a lot of french canadiens like Andre Peloffy...

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
BM67 said:
Vaclav Nedomansky is a Slovak, not a Czech.

http://www.hockeyhalloffame.sk/members.php

Yes, that´s correct. He was born in Hodonin (now Czech Republic) but to Slovak parents, and he played for Slovak club even (Slovan Bratislava). I should have done my research a bit better (he doesn´t appear on some lists of Slovak players, for some reason!).

And how could I forget Esa "Tiki" Tikkanen :madfire: :dunno:

But I shall only make a correction on Nedomansky... otherwise this would just go on and on and on.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
norrisnick said:
If Bure is on the list Fedorov is ahead of him somewhere. Sergei has had the best NHL career of any Russian player.

No kidding Fedorov should be on there before Bure.Mogilny probably should as well.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Aki Berg said:
It would be criminal not to add Aki Berg to the Finland list. Keep in mind Aki's contributions to team Finland in international competitions.

Yes, I´m guilty! Send the hit squad over!

PS. I hope you are joking

PPS. And I did keep his contributions in mind; that´s why he is not on the list (hahahaha...)

Last edited:

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
About Fedorov...

I think that Russia is the only country here where you don´t need to have active players on the list. There are just tens of names to consider already as it is. So I wasn´t making a statement that Bure is better than Fedorov.

Speak of the devil,

YupYup, Bure is too high. Maybe I´ve seen those highlight clips of the Finland - Russia game (from the Winter Olympics ´98) too often ;). But "let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be..."

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Marcus-74 said:
Swedes

1. Peter Forsberg
- Never before has a Swedish player been considered the best in the world.

2. Borje Salming
3. Sven "Tumba" Johansson
4. Mats Sundin
5. Mats Naslund
6. HÃ¥kan Loob
7. Ulf Sterner
- Favorite Swede of the Canadians, right? He also had some controversial incident with a Finnish player in the sixties... but he´s one of Sweden´s best ever anyway.

8. Nicklas Lidstrom
- Better than Salming? Probably. But he´s not even nearly finished yet.

9. Kent Nilsson
10. Bengt(-Ã…ke) Gustafsson

HM´s: Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nilsson, Pelle Lindbergh, Nils Nilsson, Ronald Petterson, Peter "Pekka" Lindmark, Mats Waltin, Leif Holmqvist, Lennart Svedberg

International careers and no Jonas Bergqvist or Thomas Rundqvist? :teach:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Marcus-74 said:
1. Anatoli Firsov
Best ever Russian, or best player ever?

chooch*

The best Soviet skater in the Summit 72 series was Yakushev. Thats even before Kharlamov was hurt. Maltsev was a good playmaker, Kharlamov was a dynamic player but Yakushev was the most feared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->