Best European Draftee not signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
It was my understanding that teams had to sign draftees taken in the 2002 draft or proir or lose their rights today. Stars signed 4 prospects-stephan Fransson Erikkson and Jokinin today. The best players not signed were Khomitski, Joel Lunqvist and tershenko. None were significant. Did your team lose any players who you thought they should have signed?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Starsdude said:
It was my understanding that teams had to sign draftees taken in the 2002 draft or proir or lose their rights today. Stars signed 4 prospects-stephan Fransson Erikkson and Jokinin today. The best players not signed were Khomitski, Joel Lunqvist and tershenko. None were significant. Did your team lose any players who you thought they should have signed?
Hmm, never heard of it... any confirmations?

I guess if it's true, the Habs might lose out on Konstantin Korneev and Tomas Linhart, but they probably aren't considered as all that significant. Unsigned European players we drafted before 2002 are even less significant.

Pure Rock Fury*

Aren't european players rights held on to as long as the team wants them? I thought deadlines to sign prospects only applied to north american players.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Patrick Bateman said:
Aren't european players rights held on to as long as the team wants them? I thought deadlines to sign prospects only applied to north american players.

Under the old CBA that was so. The new CBA changed the rules regarding how long that you can hold a European players rights to bring it in line with the rules governing NA players. I just do not get why the old rules were not grandfathered as to those already drafted. This certainly effects the value of european players and when they were drafted they were valued with the thought that you held their rights indefinately. Very unlikely that most of these players would have been drafted as high as they were if these new rules were in effect. Seems only fair to me to grandfather the old rules. As a matter of fact in America laws are unconstitutional if they would apply retroactively. This is not a law so they can do this but I do not have to agree with it.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Famous Flames said:
Supposedly under the new CBA, 2002 Euros have to be signed today. I can't find many links, but here's one:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/082505dnoearlystars.a688657f.html

Holding Eupoean rights forever is quashed in the new CBA.
European draftees from 2002 and earlier have until June 1, 2006 to sign.
2003 draftees have until June 1, 2007 to sign.
2004 draftees have until June 1, 2008 to sign.
2005 and future fall under the same rules as NA draftees (2 years)

Until the CBA is published, I can't post a link to confirm this but here's some info from the Isles board from our Mod who did some research.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=152465

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
bossy22 said:
Holding Eupoean rights forever is quashed in the new CBA.
European draftees from 2002 and earlier have until June 1, 2006 to sign.
2003 draftees have until June 1, 2007 to sign.
2004 draftees have until June 1, 2008 to sign.
2005 and future fall under the same rules as NA draftees (2 years)

Yeah June of 2006 is what I had heard also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->