Status
Not open for further replies.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
reckoning said:
The only guy who ever got pounded by Gillies and then challenged him again was Terry O`Reilly in the `80 playoffs. It`s a thin line between bravery and stupidity.

:biglaugh:

Anyone with memories of that series appreciates that line. That trio of fights in which Gillies simply dominated O'Reilly could be pointed to as the moment at which NYI started their dynasty run. Up until the 1980 playoffs, NYI was regarded as a supremely talented team, but one that could be taken off their game by physical playoff hockey, as evidence by their eliminations the previous two seasons by Toronto and NYR, respectively.

The Bruins challenged NYI the second round that spring. Challenged them phyiscally, including a bench clearing brawl to end one period at the Boston Gardens, after rookie Duane Sutter ran, yes, Mike Milbury at the horn. (Karma). Gillies was a man in that series, the team followed his lead and they never looked back the rest of the playoffs.

The Schultz fight several years earlier not only effectively ended Schult'z career, it established Gillie's reputation. In their careers, neither Trottier nor Bossy ever dropped their gloves (literally). Neither were wimps (Trottier was as ill-humored as they come); they simply never had to.

Last edited:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Purely fighting wise Bob Probert is the number 1, he fought every tough in the league during 80's and 90's and won most of them.

Tony Twist was the meanest MOFO of the 90's though, not many even dared to fight him and he was always looking to kill the opponent.

Link Gaetz gets honorable mention, he was a pure maniac.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Jacques Plante said:
Didn't Larry Robinson also beat up Scultz??

I'm too young to have seen it but I'm pretty sure I've heared that Robinson destroyed him.

Can anyone confirm this?

No I think when it came to Robinson he would just skate up to a little meelee and guys would stop right away. He was intimidating at 6'4" so he rarely HAD to fight. He tamed the Flyers in 1976. But he may have fought Schultz at one time I dont know.

STS

Jul 3, 2005
Yes - Larry Robinson did a job on Dave Schultz as well - unfortunately I don't remember the year but believe it was in the playoffs - mid 70's. Robinson was one of those speak softly but carry a big stick kinda guys - not flashy but solid defensively and could throw 'em with the best of the era. Perhaps someone could place a more exact time on the above ....

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Trottier said:
The Bruins challenged NYI the second round that spring. Challenged them phyiscally, including a bench clearing brawl to end one period at the Boston Gardens, after rookie Duane Sutter ran, yes, Mike Milbury at the horn. (Karma).

So maybe the last few years have all been a revenge plot devised by Milbury?

That explains so much.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I watched 3 of those fights between Gillies & O'Reilly in the playoff series and I would give the edge to O'Reilly in one, Gillies in one and the other a draw. That was in 1980. Did you watch the same fights?

John Ferguson was the first true enforcer and maybe the most effective and reliable. He was there to fight whereas Gillies was there to play hockey.

STS said:
Has to be Clark Gillies as heavyweight. O'Reilly challenged him I believe it was four times in the 1980's playoffs and got beat badly all four times. He was the perfect enforcer - could play the game with the best of them but when it came time to drop the gloves watch out. I'll never forget when he wiped the ice with Dave Scultz in the Spectrum during the 1978 playoffs ( please correct me if I am wrong on the year)and it totally deflated the Flyers and their fans. Don't think Schultz ever challenged him again after that. Gave Bossy and Trottier all the room they needed to do the scoring but pick on them and you had to answer to "Jethro". The same with Probert in Detroit with Yzerman and Semenko with Gretzky in Edmonton.

Among the smaller fighters I would have to go with Stan Jonathan of the Bruins or Tie Domi. Jonathan was absolutely fearless ....

Among the late 60's early 70's enforcers would have to say John Ferguson or Dan Maloney. Ferguson's presence on the Habs gave the Flying Frenchmen all the more room to skate

Wetcoaster

All -time???

IMHO it is not even close - Terrible Ted Lindsay.

STS

Jul 3, 2005
I watched 3 of those fights between Gillies & O'Reilly in the playoff series and I would give the edge to O'Reilly in one, Gillies in one and the other a draw. That was in 1980. Did you watch the same fights?

I did watch all the same three fights and Gillies wiped out O'Reilly all three times. Admittedly it was 1980 but the good things in life I remember :handclap: If anyone has video of those games would love to refresh my memory.

John Ferguson was there to play hockey as well - anyone who scored 20 goals in a season in the mid 60's had to be a good player as well.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Jacques Plante said:
Didn't Larry Robinson also beat up Scultz??

I'm too young to have seen it but I'm pretty sure I've heared that Robinson destroyed him.

Can anyone confirm this?
I remember Robinson fighting Schultz, and while I thought he won the fight, he didn't destroy him. The point with Mtl. when they began the 4 year run was that a lot of them showed the weren't intimidated. Savard fought Schultz, and he was no fighter. I'm sure John Flyer Fan remembers the Sunday afternoon,when somehow,John Van Boxmeer was holding onto Schultz' sweater than after a brief flurry Boxie was ko'd.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
mcphee said:
I remember Robinson fighting Schultz, and while I thought he won the fight, he didn't destroy him. The point with Mtl. when they began the 4 year run was that a lot of them showed the weren't intimidated. Savard fought Schultz, and he was no fighter. I'm sure John Flyer Fan remembers the Sunday afternoon,when somehow,John Van Boxmeer was holding onto Schultz' sweater than after a brief flurry Boxie was ko'd.
Thanks for the input Mcphee!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
ClassicHockey said:
I watched 3 of those fights between Gillies & O'Reilly in the playoff series and I would give the edge to O'Reilly in one, Gillies in one and the other a draw. That was in 1980. Did you watch the same fights?John Ferguson was the first true enforcer and maybe the most effective and reliable. He was there to fight whereas Gillies was there to play hockey.

Not the same fights. If you remember carefully you were on a different planet and in fact a different quantum reality at the time. Toronto won the Cup that year.

:D Just kidding!

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
I recall reading that in an exibition game before the 75-76 season Montreal dressed all their tough guys, went into philly and showed they would not be intimidated by the broad street bullies. It was either in Drydens or Robinsons book. And the Big Bird did infact feed the hammer his lunch. Montreal began their 4 cup run that season. Fred Shero in his book also made mention of the fact Montreal were team tough and wouldnt be intimidated by Shultz and his goon squad. My words not his.

Heavy Fuel

Not old enough to know about Lindsay & Ferguson other than what I've read. Gillies was a tough customer but he didn't go looking for trouble the way a tradional "enforcer" would.

The toughest guys I saw handing out regular beat downs in the 80's prior to the instigator rule were the two Daves:

1. Dave Semenko -

2. Dave Brown - can't believe Brown hasn't been mentioned.

Probert was the best player among the tough guys when he wasn't in jail or rehab.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Best enforcer = John Ferguson

The guy was the toughest guy in the league and a good player besides

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
John Ferguson. Had more skill than a lot of folks give him credit for. Put up good numbers the year before moving up to the Habs. Third in the AHL with 38 goals.

In his day 20 NHL goals wasn't a good season, it made you a star. He finished 4th in team scoring in his rookie year with 18. Granted, he had some pretty good linemates but Blake wouldn't have put him out there with them unless Ferguson could hold his own.

He was the most popular English speaker in Quebec for quite a few years, not a bad accomplishment in and of itself given the political tensions of the times.

sandels

Aug 2, 2005
Lake Bodom
Probert by a mile. Took on all comers and if he lost he'd always win the re-match. And he was good for amazingly long time.

Other than Probert, Dave Brown.

Yeti

HFBoards Partner
Feb 19, 2005
www.lincolnstarsblog.com
Probert. Not even close.

In his prime he was the best ever. Probie was the best at letting his opponent tire himself out....keeping him away with those long arms of his. Then when the time was right, Probie used those long arms to destroy. He had one punch KO power, and could take a punch too. It's too bad he had to go ***** his life up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->