U.S.A.
#9 Paul Karyia and #8 Teemu Selanne

kariya-selanne.jpg

Honorable mention

#15 Ryan Getzlaf and #10 Corey Perry

mz1mvr-getzlafperry.jpg

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Kariya and Selanne were far more dynamic and entertaining to watch. IMO Getzlaf and Perry play a style that is going to win you more hockey games when it counts.

So for the regular season it's Kariya and Selanne (by quite a bit) but come the playoffs I'll take Getzlaf and Perry.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Kariya and Selanne will always be more dynamic. Getzlaf and Perry have the opportunity to be more dominant, but they'll have to both maintain at the level they were both at this season for several seasons more.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Getzlaf and Perry by a country mile. They are both top 10 players in the NHL right now, and outright control the outcome of hockey games by themselves. It depends what you mean by dynamic, but getzlaf/perry are significantly better hockey players. See: perry's hart, and getzlaf's eventual hart nomination or win this year.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Playoff numbers together in Anaheim..

Kariya: 1.21 ppg
Selanne: .93 ppg

Their playoff numbers in Anaheim together are far superior to Perry and Getlzaf granted it's a much smaller sample size. But that also had to do with the **** team around them unlike 15 & 10. I'm not trying to say one is better or worse soley off points either, I just don't think it's fair to label Kariya & Selanne as poor playoff performers together.

You can't compare them about Stanley Cups either when the teams were completely different. That's a **** argument if you try to use it IMO..

Getzlaf and Perry by a country mile. They are both top 10 players in the NHL right now, and outright control the outcome of hockey games by themselves. It depends what you mean by dynamic, but getzlaf/perry are significantly better hockey players. See: perry's hart, and getzlaf's eventual hart nomination or win this year.

Kariya & Selanne were top 10 players (probably closer to top 5) during their careers in Anaheim and controlled the outcome of hockey games way more than Getzlaf and Perry did based solely off the teams around them.

What's your point?

Why are Getzlaf/Perry significantly better players? According to you its because Perry has a Hart Trophy and Getzlaf has a nomination? Really..? :laugh:

Both Kariya and Selanne have been finalists for the Hart. As a matter of fact Kariya finished runner up to Hasek in the 96-97 season and he only played 69 games that year. You obviously fail to realize how dominate both Kariya and Selanne were when they played together.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Playoff numbers together in Anaheim..

Kariya: 1.21 ppg
Selanne: .93 ppg

Why cherry pick stats? You've conveniently left off the cinderella run in 2003 which Kariya was MIA for most of including all but one game in the final.

Here are Kariya's overall playoff numbers in Anaheim:

Kariya 0.81 ppg (29 points in 35 games)

If I wanted to cherry pick stats like that I could easily say Ryan Getzlaf's playoff numbers while in Anaheim (when Bobby Ryan was on the team):

30 points in 26 games = 1.15PPG.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Why cherry pick stats? You've conveniently left off the cinderella run in 2003 which Kariya was MIA for most of including all but one game in the final.

Here are Kariya's overall playoff numbers in Anaheim:

Kariya 0.81 ppg (29 points in 35 games)

If I wanted to cherry pick stats like that I could easily say Ryan Getzlaf's playoff numbers while in Anaheim (when Bobby Ryan was on the team):

30 points in 26 games = 1.15PPG.

What part of dynamic duo do you fail to recognize?

Selanne was not a part of the 2003 team.. Its hard to have a dynamic duo when one you're accounting for imaginary players now.

Im not cherry picking stats I'm basing solely off the years they played together in Anaheim. After all it says based off the best Ducks duo..

What does Bobby Ryan have to do with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf? Now you managed to go from a single in Kariya to a trio in RPG.. WTF??

Maybe you should understand the concept before speaking? :shakehead

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What part of dynamic duo do you fail to recognize?

Selanne was not a part of the 2003 team.. Its hard to have a dynamic duo when one you're accounting for imaginary players now.

Im not cherry picking stats I'm basing solely off the years they played together in Anaheim. After all it says based off the best Ducks duo..

What does Bobby Ryan have to do with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf? Now you managed to go from a single in Kariya to a trio in RPG.. WTF??

Maybe you should understand the concept before speaking? :shakehead

You've completely missed the point.

And you come across as a complete dick with that post. Well done.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
You've completely missed the point.

And you come across as a complete dick with that post. Well done.

What point did i miss? You're asking me to include an arbitrary number from 2003 which has no bearing to Kariya and Selanne performing together as a duo..

Perry and Getzlaf played before and with B. Ryan... Just because you couldn't grasp the initial concept you get all fussy when you simply could have just acknowledged a simple mistake.

and yes now I am trying to be a dick. ;)

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
As a Sharks fan during both eras, pound for pound a Selanne and Kariya combo was far scarier. Its unfair to crown Getz and Perry just b/c they won a Cup together without taking into consideration other factors like:

-Two 1st ballot HOF d-men Pronger and Niedermeyer anchoring that D.
-Giguiere and Bryz in their prime in goal.
-They were 2nd line players--with other teams top D main focus on Selanne, MacDonald, and Kunitz.
-Sammy Pahlsson who was 2nd in the Selke that year managing the greatest checking line ever for the franchise.

Needless to say, 2007 was the most complete Ducks team ever.

olop

Jan 28, 2012
Selanne & Kariya are the ones for me. I believe there at least was a vid on YT where they are talked as the next ones after Gretzky & Kurri. And if I remember correctly, Gretzky says something like that if Paul and Teemu played in the early 80s they would break the records of 99 & 17. Probably just being polite but anyway.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Kariya and Selanne were far more dynamic and entertaining to watch. IMO Getzlaf and Perry play a style that is going to win you more hockey games when it counts.

So for the regular season it's Kariya and Selanne (by quite a bit) but come the playoffs I'll take Getzlaf and Perry.

Dynamic as in flash or dominance? If flash, then Teemu & PK. If dominance, then it's the Twins. If the Twins don't get going, then we're not really playoff material. That kinda speaks volumes of its own. But truthfully, someone else brought this up, Pronger & Neids is far more scarier than either forward pairing. LoL You are probably guaranteed to have Prongs or Neids on the ice for almost 60 mins. It was a short lived duo, but a very potent and dynamic duo who shut down and score on both sides of the ice.

I pick Prongs and nieds as the most dynamic duo, since there is no time enrollment requirement.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Dynamic as in flash or dominance? If flash, then Teemu & PK. If dominance, then it's the Twins. If the Twins don't get going, then we're not really playoff material. That kinda speaks volumes of its own. But truthfully, someone else brought this up, Pronger & Neids is far more scarier than either forward pairing. LoL You are probably guaranteed to have Prongs or Neids on the ice for almost 60 mins. It was a short lived duo, but a very potent and dynamic duo who shut down and score on both sides of the ice.

I pick Prongs and nieds as the most dynamic duo, since there is no time enrollment requirement.

Once again I'm not going to dispute duo or the other but this statement is trash IMO.

Kariya and Selanne had 10x worse team around them. They had to produce or they weren't a playoff team either. Even producing their team was so bad they only managed to make the playoffs twice together... Failed logic.

As far as playing together..

Niedermayer/Pronger: 3 seasons although they were really the same defensive partners so IDK if that counts for a duo or not

Kariya/Selanne: 5.5 seasons

Getzlaf/Perry: 9 seasons

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad