Best Drafting Teams in the NHL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've been working at this for a while and was curious to see who are the best drafting teams in the NHL.

- This does not factor in any trades. It's strict straight up drafting and ability to produce NHL players.

- I have not double checked the games played or points yet. If you see errors, let me know and I will update. I plan on double checking at some point this summer before the new season starts.

- I provided Multiple ranges to evaluate in the last 12 years. Started in 08, might take it further when I have time.

- The scoring formula took me a while to come up with and not sure how people will receive it. The point is to dilute the games played and points generated by the picks the teams actually had. For example, the Caps are the only team in the NHL who have not had a top 10 pick in the last 12 drafts but still managed to produce in terms of NHL games played and points. If you have any other ideas on creating another formula or adjusting mine, I'm all ears.

HoqgbMv.jpg

1c5eAOt.jpg

Yyb1jsp.jpg

iqz2SqU.jpg

4mIOJqU.jpg

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
CBJ

Jarmo Kekäläinen (2013-Current)

Scott Howson + Doug MacLean (2000-2013)

EDIT: amazing how much they rushed/relied on rookies.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Interesting method. Would like to see some more factors fed into the equation to account for teams that have hits with goalies and defensemen. Right now it can punish your pts/game metric. I expect the Caps would plummet in your method in the next few years, as even when their 2016-19 draftees start cracking the NHL ranks, it's going to be mostly D and some role player forwards.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Calgary from 2015 onward has been pretty good at drafting. Lot of good talent being pumped out:

2015: Andersson, Kylington (2nd rd), Mangiapane (6th rd)

2016: Tkachuk (1st rd), Dube, Parsons (2nd rd), Fox (3rd rd), Phillips (6th rd)

2017: Valimaki (1st rd)

2018: Petersson (6th rd)

2019: Too soon, but Pelletier (1st rd), Nikolayev (3rd rd), Wolf (7th rd) are my favourites

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Interesting concepts but I think there's something that doesn't add up with it.

For example, Detroit is ranked 24th from 2012-2019 but somehow rises to 21st when you include 08, 09, 10, and 11.

Their top 5 players drafted from 08 - 11 were Nyquist, Tatar, Jensen, Mrazek, and Jarnkrok. Sheahan is the only other one of note.

Compare that to 12-15, where their top 5 would be Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, and Janmark-Nylen. (Pending Svechnikov actually staying healthy long enough to get an opportunity)

I won't even compare 16-19 because there's still room for those guys to develop. That being said, while they were obviously drafting later in 08-11 than in 12-15, Larkin is clearly the best of either group by a wide margin, Mantha is probably the equivalent of Nyquist and Tatar, and AA, Bertuzzi, and MJN greatly outweigh Jensen, Mrazek, and Jarnkrok.

I think it'd make more sense that Detroit would be higher from 12-19 and lower from 08-19. 08-11 were pretty brutal drafting years for them. Definitely an interesting concept! Just giving my $.02. Thanks for sharing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting concepts but I think there's something that doesn't add up with it.

For example, Detroit is ranked 24th from 2012-2019 but somehow rises to 21st when you include 08, 09, 10, and 11.

Their top 5 players drafted from 08 - 11 were Nyquist, Tatar, Jensen, Mrazek, and Jarnkrok. Sheahan is the only other one of note.

Compare that to 12-15, where their top 5 would be Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, and Janmark-Nylen. (Pending Svechnikov actually staying healthy long enough to get an opportunity)

I won't even compare 16-19 because there's still room for those guys to develop. That being said, while they were obviously drafting later in 08-11 than in 12-15, Larkin is clearly the best of either group by a wide margin, Mantha is probably the equivalent of Nyquist and Tatar, and AA, Bertuzzi, and MJN greatly outweigh Jensen, Mrazek, and Jarnkrok.

I think it'd make more sense that Detroit would be higher from 12-19 and lower from 08-19. 08-11 were pretty brutal drafting years for them. Definitely an interesting concept! Just giving my $.02. Thanks for sharing.

The formulas are equally applied to all teams. The only thing that could be off is the games played and points. I took my time adding each team up but I’m human. I believe it’s close to being accurate. I will double check each team again before the season starts

Wish I had auto stat updater! Anyone know how you can get this? I’d like to link it to the spreadsheet so it automatically updates

I know what your saying about the flames and how the rankings change cause I had the same feeling with the Habs on separate spans. You have to understand that when you change the spans, there are moving parts for all teams that factor in or factor out which will affect the rankings for each team

Got a few other ideas as well. I’ll share when they are completed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can fans from each team check the games played and points? Let me know if it’s checks out or if it’s off. Takes a almost a full day to check all teams on my own

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting method. Would like to see some more factors fed into the equation to account for teams that have hits with goalies and defensemen. Right now it can punish your pts/game metric. I expect the Caps would plummet in your method in the next few years, as even when their 2016-19 draftees start cracking the NHL ranks, it's going to be mostly D and some role player forwards.

Good point on the goalies. I’ll look into it.

Thought about D too but that evens out for all teams. Preds were not penalized for their stock pile of top 4D. It would be complicated to award different points to D vs F. Got any recommendations? I’ll factor it in next time I update it

Having the ability to get live updated stats would be nice

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Washington can draft Russians because every Russian wants to play with Ovi & won't defect back to KHL because of that so Russians falling to them in the draft like Kuznetsov work out quite well for them.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep... not that surprised to see the Habs near the bottom. Although, they are trending quite a bit higher in the lastest 4 year span... lets hope that continues.

2016+ is where the Habs turned it around. The 08-11 span is a black hole. 12-15 are meh.. average at best

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad