Alexander Suglobov
Zach Parise
Travis Zajac
Nicklas Bergfors

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
With many picks, its not so much a great find, as much as its stupidity from other teams. For example, Havlat and Meszjaros fell way, way to far and into the laps of Ottawa. Thtas more one other teams than the sens.

With that said, ottawa finds way, way too many hidden gems to keep them off the top of the scouting list.

The Hamburglar

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
For those saying that the Sens aren't good because they amassed so many high picks, I'd just like to note Daigle ended up getting us nothing as did Bonk (forgot if we ended up getting a pick?). Also, getting Phillips 1st overall isn't exactly what I call amazing. When the Sens drafted Hossa at #12, they received a lot of flack, so I'd consider that a good pick by the scouts. I can honestly say Yashin (now Spezza) and Berard (now Redden) fell in our laps. The rest is high quality scouting.

Safir*

XavierX said:
Sens? :biglaugh: Yeah its real hard amassing a lot of top 10 picks or trading for them.

And this is coming from a Coyotes fan? LMAO :biglaugh:

A team that drafted Blake Wheeler 5th overall over Olesz, Smid, Thelen...etc. LOL
If they had won the draft lottery in 2005 they would have probably taken Price #1 overall. LOL

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8039
HFarticle said:
The San Jose Sharks have the highest percentage of both drafted and homegrown players, while the Phoenix Coyotes lag both categories.

The Devils, Sharks, Red Wings, Avalanche and the Sens have drafted excellent over the last couple of years.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Brendan Shanahan
Bill Guerin
Martin Brodeur
Mike Dunham
Jaroslav Modry
Scott Niedermayer
Brian Rolston
Jason Smith
Sergei Brylin
Cale Hulse
Stephane Yelle
Jay Pandolfo
Brendan Morrison
Krzysztof Oliwa
Patrik Elias
Sheldon Souray
Steve Sullivan
Petr Sykora
Alyn McCauley
Pierre Dagenais
Colin White
Scott Parker
Josef Boumedienne
Willie Mitchell
Scott Clemmensen
Mike Van Ryn
Scott Gomez
Brian Gionta
David Hale
Paul Martin
Michael Rupp
Mike Danton
Alexander Suglobov
Zach Parise
Travis Zajac
Nicklas Bergfors

Scott Parker was drafted by Avs but I agree, David Conte is the best judge of talent in all of NHL. :)

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
New Jersey, Detroit, Ottawa and Colorado come to mind. Not to be a homer but Habs had some rough years drafting in the 90's with Rejean Houle but since Savard and Gainey took over there emerging as one of the better drafting teams IMO.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ottawa, New Jersey, and San Jose have been the three best drafting teams in the league by a country mile in the last 10-12 years. Colorado is right up there too, although they haven't been as strong since their monster draft in 1998.

Worst drafting teams include Phoenix, Chicago, Washington.

hattrick74

Jan 3, 2004
Visit site
this is tough, because honestly just because you have a top 10 pick doesnt mean you will end up with a top 10 player. sure the #1 or 2 picks have been great the past few years, but the draft is still a toss up. i remember a couple years back sather was saying that only 1/4 of the 1st rd picks will ever play a game in the nhl. so you could say the likes of the wings or avs are good because they get good players towards the end of the 1st rd, or you could say the kings because for the last 3-4 yrs players have fallen to the kings or you could say the sens because they have made good trades (yashin) and have had high picks

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
New Jersey is very good, not necessarily the best though.

I'd say the top group includes New Jersey, Colorado, San Jose and Detroit, not sure exactly what order.

And I don't think the Sens have 'no bussines' in this thread, I'd say they are in the second group with the likes of Montreal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Belgian Fan said:
New Jersey is very good, not necessarily the best though.

I'd say the top group includes New Jersey, Colorado, San Jose and Detroit, not sure exactly what order.

And I don't think the Sens have 'no bussines' in this thread, I'd say they are in the second group with the likes of Montreal.

I'd take Ottawa's drafting over Colorado's any day of the week, both in terms of what they've done with their #1 picks and what they've done in the mid-late rounds. Not that Colorado's drafting has been bad, but Ottawa's has been brilliant.

I'd have Montreal in the bottom 1/3 of the league right now. Since 1998, when they had a strong draft, they've been pretty bad. Their only good draft in that timeframe is 2001, and they had embarassingly bad drafts in 2000 and 2003, and another rotten draft in 1999. And of course their drafts from 1995-97 were awful as well.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Philadelphia is definitely up there.

In the last couple of years:
Simon Gagne
Justin Williams
Joni Pitkanen
Jeff Carter
Mike Richards
Dennis Seidenberg
Patrick Sharp
Antero Nittyimaki
Roman Cechmanek
Johan Hedberg
Danius Zubrus
Vaclav Prospal
Janne Niinimaa
Brian Boucher
Todd Fedoruk
Ruslan Fedotenko (signed as a free agent)
RJ Umberger (signed as a free agent)
Peter Forsberg
Dmitri Yuskevich
Mike Ricci
Chris Simon
Mikael Renberg
Chris Therien

Islanders4Life*

Best Drafting team over the last 10 years? Probably the Islanders

Of Course the DUMBEST freakin team as far as not knowing what to do with there prospects and f----g up there team is the Islanders, or should I say Mike Milbury

Malakhov

Nov 30, 2003
Montreal, QC
Visit site
In the last 10 years it's the sens no doubt, followed by the Avs.

Sens middle 1st round and later picks:

Pavol Demitra
Daniel Alfredsson
Sami Salo
Marian Hossa
Magnus Arvedson
Karel Rachunek
Mike Fisher
Chris Neil
Martin Havlat
Martin Prusek
Anton Volchenkov
Antoine Vermette
Ray Emery
Brandon Bochenski
Patrick Eaves
Andrej Meszaros

That's good, that's very good.

I was just going though the Habs for fun, good to see the majority of our players in our lineup come from our organisation:

Saku Koivu
Craig Rivet
Jose Theodore
Mike Ribeiro
Andrei Markov
Michael Ryder
Mike Komisarek
Alexander Perezhogin
Tomas Plekanec
Chris Higgins

Guy Caballero

Nov 15, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Let's not forget development, which is just as important as drafting. Detroit and Ottawa seem to be a step above the rest, but Montreal, Colorado, and NJ have also been excellent in recent years.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm going to re-iterate that the Sens are among the best drafting teams in the league, along with Detroit, New Jersey, Colorado and Philly.

I find it amazing that people still attribute the Sens success to those first round picks received from those early lean years, when it fact, it has played a comparitively minor role in their success. Their drafting, both in the early rounds and the later rounds, between 1996 to 2001 in particular has been stellar. Moreover, while they're drafting has been good, player development and roster management has been better. Most teams may have given up on players like Phillips and Bonk, who took a long time to meet expectations. Most teams would not have stood strong against Yashin, and would have been forced to trade for a position of weakness, rather than wait for the right buyer to come along.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
Not a chance in hell that the Sens drafting is better then colorados. If memory serves me currectly the Sens were the laugh stock of the league a couple years ago no wonder they got good younge players. Yes they have a some good players in the late rounds. If you think Sens have better drafting then Colorado and Detroit you have to be smoking some harsh ****. Colorado and Detriot find as good players that are in the 1st round in the late rounds.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
SensGuy said:
How do they make a drafting thread if they were signed as free agents?

No one drafted Ruslan Fedotenko and no NHL organization gave him a chance. The Flyers saw some potential in him and the Philadelphia Phantoms signed him to a try-out AHL contract and he has worked his way up all through hard work and determination. But props goes to the Flyers for seeing some of his talent and giving him that chance.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
knight44 said:
Not a chance in hell that the Sens drafting is better then colorados. If memory serves me currectly the Sens were the laugh stock of the league a couple years ago no wonder they got good younge players. Yes they have a some good players in the late rounds. If you think Sens have better drafting then Colorado and Detroit you have to be smoking some harsh ****. Colorado and Detriot find as good players that are in the 1st round in the late rounds.

Who are these gems that Detroit uncover in the 1st round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->