Best defensive pairings ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
What do you think are the best defensive pairings ever? You can pick any pairing from NHL or European level. The only criteria is that the two defensemen have played together as a defensive pairing.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Vicious Vic said:
Since I'm sure plenty of people will chime in and mention some NHL pairings, I'll bring up Kasatonov and Fetisov for the USSR's Green Unit.

Kasatonov and Fetisov would be my choice as well.

Others worth mentioning are:

Suter - MacInnis (Calgary)
Smith - Chelios (Chicago)
Pervukhin - Bilyaletdinov (Dynamo Moscow)
Stevens - Niedermayer (Devils)
Lidtstrom - Murphy (Detroit)
Fetisov - Konstantinov (Detroit)
Bourque - Blake (Colorado)
Stelnov - Starikov (CSKA)
Zubov - Malakhov (CSKA)
Konstantinov - Malakhov (CSKA)
Pronger - MacInnis (St.Louis)

pp33

May 18, 2004
Peter25 said:
Kasatonov and Fetisov would be my choice as well.

Others worth mentioning are:

Suter - MacInnis (Calgary)
Smith - Chelios (Chicago)
Pervukhin - Bilyaletdinov (Dynamo Moscow)
Stevens - Niedermayer (Devils)
Lidtstrom - Murphy (Detroit)
Fetisov - Konstantinov (Detroit)
Bourque - Blake (Colorado)
Stelnov - Starikov (CSKA)
Zubov - Malakhov (CSKA)
Konstantinov - Malakhov (CSKA)

Actually Suter didn't play that much with MacInnis. Both had more defensive counterparts during the Flames' prime years, Suter with McCrimmon and Mac with Macoun, I believe. Same goes with Bourque-Blake and Pronger-MacInnis.

Mentioning McCrimmon, it reminds me of one of the most underrated pairings ever: Mark Howe - McCrimmon.

Others:

Smith-Orr
Stapleton-White
Potvin-Morrow
Stevens-Murphy
Kluzak-Bourque (too bad Kluzak's knee woes ruined his career)
McPhee-Carbonneau :)

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Wisent said:
OK, another Soviet blue line. Alexander Ragulin and Alexander Gusev.

I don´t think they played together, at least for many years, since Ragulin was a lot older than Gusev.

Ragulin was the corner stone of the Soviet defense of the 60´s with Viktor Kuzkin and Vitali Davydov. Gusev was more of a 70´s player. The "Big 4" of Gusev, Valeri Vasilyev, Gennady Tsygankov and Vladimir Luchenko were the cornerstone of the Soviet defense of the 70's. Of course later in that decade came in players such as Bilyaletdinov, Pervukhin, Sergei Babinov and Vyacheslav Fetisov.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Serge Savard and Larry Robinson

and

Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe

were pretty good too.

My Fav Leaf pairings..

Salming - Turnbull
Horton - Stanley
Carl Brewer - Bob Baun

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mark Howe and Brad McCrimmon should get a nominee or two. They were the best pairing of the mid-80's.

Combined +/-
84-85 - 103
85-86 - 168 .. they finished 1,2 in the NHL
86-87 - 102

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How about the three-time world championship tourney's best defenseman awards between them, three time world championship gold medalist, three time silver medalist, five-time tourney all-star awards between them as well as Olympic silver medalists in Czechoslovakian legends on the blueline:

Jan Suchy - Frantisek Pospisil

"They were everywhere and could put the puck anywhere"

Peter25 said:
I would agree, even though I detest the Blues, except at the height of their careers together, and certainly in the playoffs, they played on different pairings, so that EITHER Pronger OR MacInnis was ALWAYS on the ice, nearly 30 minutes a game each, and each amazing at their job (grumbling Canucks and Sharks fan here).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Robinson and Savard would have been the toughest set to score against IMO. That and they had just as good offensive intentions

Fetisov and Kasatonov were both pretty complete as well

A few who srping to mind are....

R. Langway-B. Engblom (Montreal/Washington)
P. Coffey-C. Huddy (Edmonton)
D. Potvin-K. Morrow (NYIslanders)
R. Bourque-G. Wesley (Boston)
B. Leetch-S. Zubov (NYRangers)
D. Hatcher-S. Zubov (Dallas)
R. Matvichuk-D. Sydor (Dallas)
E. Desjardins-M. Schneider (Montreal)
C. Chelios-S. Smith (Chicago)
S. Stevens-L. Murphy (Washington)

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Konstantinov and Lidstrom could have been unbelievable if they had a few more years together. Lidstrom with his strong two way play and Konstantinov with his open ice hits and strong oulet passes.

Could have been the best pairing ever. It's a shame what happened to the Vladinator.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
VanIslander said:
How about the three-time world championship tourney's best defenseman awards between them, three time world championship gold medalist, three time silver medalist, five-time tourney all-star awards between them as well as Olympic silver medalists in Czechoslovakian legends on the blueline:

Jan Suchy - Frantisek Pospisil

"They were everywhere and could put the puck anywhere"

I would agree, even though I detest the Blues, except at the height of their careers together, and certainly in the playoffs, they played on different pairings, so that EITHER Pronger OR MacInnis was ALWAYS on the ice, nearly 30 minutes a game each, and each amazing at their job (grumbling Canucks and Sharks fan here).

Yeah I don't remember seeing Chopper and Pronger as a pair for St Louis but they did play togther for Team Canada in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad