Best defensive midfielders ever?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'd call him all around midfielder (not box-to-box midfieder), as he did all types of things on the pitch.

As I said, it depends on the definition of defensive midfielder. I'll reserve that definition to players like Busquets, Redondo or Makelele.
Guardiola & co. changed what box-to-box used to be quite a bit, as back then it was normal instead of slowing the game down to rush forward with the ball after gaining possession like Matthäus often did. Having all-around qualities contributed to that style if anything.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Guardiola & co. changed what box-to-box used to be quite a bit, as back then it was normal instead of slowing the game down to rush forward with the ball after gaining possession like Matthäus often did. Having all-around qualities contributed to that style if anything.

I meant Matthaus was more than just box-to-box midfielder, which was more limited role.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
When it comes to my fellow Sweden, the best DM we ever had was Stefan Schwarz by a land mile. Not sure any of you non-swedes ever heard of him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This is an impossible thing to discuss unless we agree with what is meant by "defensive midfielder" for the purpose of this discussion first.

Reactions: al secord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad