Best defense in the NHL?

Best defense in the NHL

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I really don’t think Josi is superior to Burns, and I really don’t see why people think that. Outside of that, I agree. Vlasic might even be equal to Ellis.

I think Vlasic is clearly, but barely better than Ellis and EKholm.

As far Josi>Burns I just think the fact that Josi gives 50-60 points with elite defensive play is ridiculous. Not that Burns is bad defensively but I don’t think his offense quite puts him ahead of Josi. They’re both ridiculous dmen and I can understand why someone would take Burns over Josi.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

As far Josi>Burns I just think the fact that Josi gives 50-60 points with elite defensive play is ridiculous. Not that Burns is bad defensively but I don’t think his offense quite puts him ahead of Josi. They’re both ridiculous dmen and I can understand why someone would take Burns over Josi.

You and I provide exactly as much “elite defensive play” at the NHL level as Roman Josi. In all 3 cases, it’s absolutely none. Burns might even be better defensively than Josi.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You probably see the Preds more than I do since your team plays them more, but anytime I've seen Josi I've never equated his defensive play as "elite". IMO, from the games I've seen, he's your typical great skating offensive D-man who is responsible defensively, but not the guy you want matching up against the other team's top offensive line.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You probably see the Preds more than I do since your team plays them more, but anytime I've seen Josi I've never equated his defensive play as "elite". IMO, from the games I've seen, he's your typical great skating offensive D-man who is responsible defensively, but not the guy you want matching up against the other team's top offensive line.

He’s not big and physical but he’s super smart in his own zone with his stick and positioning. I think he’s a better defender than Burns and for that reason I’d prefer him as my #1 despite Burns scoring more points.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
My mistake on that one. Still, Dillon>Hamhuis and Braun>Weber.

I agree on Braun>Weber for sure, but Dillon and Hamhuis are pretty even in my eyes, with Hamhuis maybe even having the edge:

Dillon:
81 GP: 5 g, 17a
CF 51.3%

Hamhuis:
80 GP: 3g, 21a
CF 50.4%

Hamhuis also played more, had fewer penalty minutes, and played on a much worse team.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Karlsson>Subban
Burns>Josi
Vlasic>Ellis
Ryan<<Ekholm
Dillon>Irwin
Braun>Weber

Sharks are the best imo

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I agree on Braun>Weber for sure, but Dillon and Hamhuis are pretty even in my eyes, with Hamhuis maybe even having the edge:

Dillon:
81 GP: 5 g, 17a
CF 51.3%

Hamhuis:
80 GP: 3g, 21a
CF 50.4%

Hamhuis also played more, had fewer penalty minutes, and played on a much worse team.

Stars had a higher CF% than the Sharks...

Also, how many minor penalties did each take? Dillon fights fairly often so using PIM to discredit him isn’t entirely fair.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I really don’t think Josi is superior to Burns, and I really don’t see why people think that. Outside of that, I agree. Vlasic might even be equal to Ellis.
I'd take Ellis over Vlasic starting now. as far as Burns vs Josi, I think Josi gets better results at 5v5 against tougher competition

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Karlsson > Subban
Burns >/= Josi
Vlasic > Ellis
Ryan < Ekholm

Hedman > Subban
McDonagh < Josi
Stralman < Ellis
Sergachev =/< Ekholm

1. San Jose
2. Nasville
3. Tampa
4. Carolina

Reactions: HappyGilmourr

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
San Jose is the new shiny toy; but Nashville is just dominant from 1-4.

One thing I would say; San Jose/Nashville are 1 and 2 in whatever way.

TB is probably 3.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't understand why Boston, lead by arguably 3 top 30 D-men in McAvoy, Chara and Krug is never mentioned.

4OA in goals allowed is not just Bergeron. I would agree that NSH and now SJ are certainly better. But to not even be in the poll? And not calling out the OP... this just seems to be the conventional wisdom around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad