Best D from 2004?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Slava Smid may very well end up being the best defenceman from 04'.

Ohlund type defenseman if I'm wrong? I like this Smid guy, but lets see if he can live up to potential.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
I really think that what a player becomes in the NHL has a lot to do with the team he is playing on. Looking at the big four D men with offensive upside I would rate it this way...

Barker
Meszaros
Thelen
Smid

I think all four will make it, but given their situations, they may be able to accomplish more, and in a quicker time.

Meszaros will be playing with very skilled players, especially if he sees PP time.
Thelen will be the QB that Minny has been waiting for.
Smid has all the tools but won't have the supporting cast to put him up with the rest of these guys.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Puckhead said:
Smid has all the tools but won't have the supporting cast to put him up with the rest of these guys.

Ottawa maybe has an edge over Anaheim's D system and future at that position
but I disagree if you think Minnesota is terribly better in terms of blueline skill in the future. Even if you're talking overall organizational depth, I disagree. Anaheim's future is bright.
Smid will have a good supporting cast- Vishnevski and Skoula will still be there, Popovic, Rome, O'Brien, Saunders, Rogers and Smith are all players who could be moving up.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I like Smid, and despite my concerns about Thelen's overall game, he has for sure the best offensive talent of the lot. I think at least.

However, perhaps a sleeper might be Johan Fransson out of Sweden. Early second round selection with a metric ton of puck skills.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Johan Fransson is pegged by elite prospects as a #1 defenseman for a reason, his PP QB skills. Offensively, he fits in with any of these guys mentioned here.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
Johan Fransson is pegged by elite prospects as a #1 defenseman for a reason, his PP QB skills. Offensively, he fits in with any of these guys mentioned here.

But is he defensively sound in his own end as Meszaros, Smid Barker, etc. are? No doubt Fransson is a good offensive defenceman, thats no secret - but if he got overlooked theres a reason, he needs improvement in his own end. Perhaps thats why they went with Fistric before em' M=D. :teach:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
monster_bertuzzi said:
But is he defensively sound in his own end as Meszaros, Smid Barker, etc. are? No doubt Fransson is a good offensive defenceman, thats no secret - but if he got overlooked theres a reason, he needs improvement in his own end. Perhaps thats why they went with Fistric before em' M=D. :teach:

Well this thread is about offensive defensemen taking in this draft year. Meaning that would be irrelevant.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ott = Snott said:
Well this thread is about offensive defensemen taking in this draft year. Meaning that would be irrelevant.

True, but the title probably had him jump the gun on his post. We're all guilty of that from time to time, people should make their topics more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad