Movies: Best comedy noir movies

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Im a great fan of the comedy noir genre, but unfortunately such movies are rare.

Lets share our favourite movies from this genre here.

My personal favourite is "Burn after reading", regrettably most others dont like this movie while I find it beyond brilliant on certain levels. Its simply too funny imo.

Heres a great scene from "Burn after reading" that gets me every time.

Another great example of such a movie is "Bad santa" from 2003

Last edited:

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Also, I just feel compelled to say, "Bad Santa" is... a bit of a stretch, haha. Crime does not automatically = noir.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Also, I just feel compelled to say, "Bad Santa" is... a bit of a stretch, haha. Crime does not automatically = noir.

Bad santa isnt about crime at all. Burn after reading isnt about spies either. :|

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Shane Black jumped immediately to mind ... Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, as has been mentioned, as well as The Nice Guys, possibly his script for The Last Boy Scout. MAYBE Soderbergh's Out of Sight and Logan Lucky depending on how flexible one wants to be in definition.

Possibly The Italian Job (the original, less so the remake).

Piggy backing off the Martin McDonagh movies suggested, his brother did The Guard, which I think would fit the concept very well.

Guy Richie movies.

Never considered the term "comedy noir" before so I guess I'm just listing some "crime comedies." Whether it fits or not is for others to decide.

Reactions: Madifer

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think I've seen a better dark comedy than Bernie (the trailer is in French but he only speaks in the first part, should convince eveybody to see this), Meet The Feebles probably second for me. Buffet froid, Man Bites Dog and Heathers are also pretty good.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Oh if Le Père-Noël est une ordure (the French version) counts as a dark comedy, I'll go with it as #1, but you really have to speak French to appreciate that one.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Election and Welcome to the Dollhouse are a couple good ones too.

What about Death to Smoochy?

I was lucky enough to read that script before they made the movie, and it was so much better than the movie. They really fumbled that one.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Election and Welcome to the Dollhouse are a couple good ones too.

I was lucky enough to read that script before they made the movie, and it was so much better than the movie. They really fumbled that one.
I liked the movie well enough. I could imagine what the original was supposed to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad