Best college UFA signing

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Every year around this time people get really focused on which college UFAs are going to sign where. People call it "finding a free wallet" or "money for nothing" and sometimes "chicks for free" (boo).

Anyways, these prospects typically start getting overhyped and hardly ever live up to the high expectations they receive. Which got me thinking...who was the best college UFA signing in recent memory (5-8 years).

Try and refrain from just pumping up some dope that your favorite team signed and just answer honestly please.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Every year around this time people get really focused on which college UFAs are going to sign where. People call it "finding a free wallet" or "money for nothing" and sometimes "chicks for free" (boo).

Anyways, these prospects typically start getting overhyped and hardly ever live up to the high expectations they receive. Which got me thinking...who was the best college UFA signing in recent memory (5-8 years).

Try and refrain from just pumping up some dope that your favorite team signed and just answer honestly please.

Penner (though 9 years out), Read, Bozak, Purcell, Andy Greene I'd say

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
Tyler Bozak has been awesome for the Leafs. God damn. The Sens ended up with Winchester, Butler and Da Costa :(

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012

Cory Conacher was a major steal.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I hate being THAT guy, but Chris Tanev has been lights out for the Canucks. He's been one of our best defensemen this year. Yes, that means he's been better than Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Ballard and maybe Hamhuis. Tanev's defensive awareness, composure, excellent stick checking, beautiful passing and skating ability has won over the entire fan base.

On other teams, Bozak's been good but Conacher has been a monster this season and his story is the best.:yo:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Not to be a homer at the moment, but Rich Peverly was a college UFA signing, and has niched out a nice career for himself.

EDIT: He wasn't signed right out of college though.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Chris Tanev is pretty much the Canucks best defenseman in their own end of the ice and has been consistently for a while now. Not bad for a 23 year old.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Tyler Bozak has been good, but he's really only had marginal competition..

I'd say Conacher looks to be the most dynamic.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Best in recent years is hard to say. Purcell, Conacher, Penner, Bozak, and Kunitz are in the running. Going a bit further back Dan Boyle and Marty St Louis were both NCAA UFA signings.

All time has to be one of Oates or Belfour

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Justin Schultz :facepalm:

I'll throw in Andy McDonald. He took a while to get going but he turned out to be a real solid player and was instrumental in Anaheim's cup run.

Professor John Frink

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
Duckjet said it previously, but Andy McDonald and Chris Kunitz are two signed by Anaheim who became very solid pros. And to a lesser extent(although he does have two rings) Dustin Penner.

bishop

Oct 19, 2011
Rafalski is outside this time frame and played in Europe first, but should still be mentioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad