Best Collection of 2020 Draft Talent

Which country has the best collection of 2020 draft talent?

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Which country has the best collection of 2020 draft talent? I'm not including Canada because they'd win easily.

I've included some players from each country below.

Finland: Hirvonen, Lundell, Niemela, Simontaival, Viro, Blomqvist, Jurmo, Jarventie, Miettinen, Rafkin, Suni
Germany: Peterka, Reichel, Stuetzle, Elias, Gloetzl
Russia: Amirov, Askarov, Khusnutdinov, Kuznetsov, Mukhamadullin, Ponomaryov, Beryozkin, Nikishin, Ovchinnikov, Skotnikov
Sweden: Andrae, Grans, Gunnel, Holtz, Niederbach, Nybeck, Raymond, Wallinder, Heineman, Johannesson
USA: Bordeleau, Brisson, Farrell, Kleven, Sanderson, Smilanic, Stranges, Colangelo, Commesso, Powell

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Sweden is probably #1, best outside of Canada from top to bottom.

Finland and Russia is a tossup. Russia's high end talents give them the nod from me, though Finland has better defensive talent this draft.

Germany comes next. Lot of first round talents but after the top 3 the dropoff puts them behind Finland and Russia.

The USA has the worst crop. Plenty of good players but unlike the other countries there's no high end talent. But the USA/Germany is a tossup. High-end first round talent vs a quantity of good second round picks.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Sweden has 3 of the top-4 skater out of these countries and some really good D behind that.

Gotta be them.

Reactions: Richard88

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The real debate is for number 3 here Sweden takes this quite easily as others have mentioned. I think for high end skill its Germany but they dont have much depth.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The real debate is for number 3 here Sweden takes this quite easily as others have mentioned. I think for high end skill its Germany but they dont have much depth.
I'd say Russia, but their high end skill is pretty underrated for me. While Germany has their big 3 I have 7 Russian skaters (plus Askarov) as top 62 worthy picks. As well as two Russian skaters in the top 15.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
I am not a big fan if this draft, most countries don't have real big talents. In this poll I'd take Sweden because of Raymond and Holtz. Other countries have from zero to one players that have comparable pure talent.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Bad take. This draft is not only deep but has alot of elite talent.
I don't see any future first-line forwards in Russia, USA and Finland, for example. Russia has only Askarov as elite talent, but it is big questions when we talk about goalies.
Yes, there are a lot of good players and some really great guys in CHL, but this year is more like 2019 than 2015.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't see any future first-line forwards in Russia, USA and Finland, for example. Russia has only Askarov as elite talent, but it is big questions when we talk about goalies.
Yes, there are a lot of good players and some really great guys in CHL, but this year is more like 2019 than 2015.
There are 12 players that could warrent top 5 selections most years. Thats a deep draft, doesnt matter where the talent is coming from as long as its there. Its a way better draft than last year.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
There are 12 players that could warrent top 5 selections most years. Thats a deep draft, doesnt matter where the talent is coming from as long as its there. Its a way better draft than last year.

Eh, I don't really see that at all to be honest. In fact, I think the top 8ish is pretty average when compared to other drafts, and 10 to 20 is one of the weakest drafts I can remember for me. You had guys like Caufield, Newhook and Krebs going from 15 to 17 last year, and I like these guys more than Holtz, Quinn or Sanderson who all could go top 10. But that's just my opinion I guess.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Sweden is going to have a great draft. 4-6 first round picks (likely 2 in top 10), maybe another 5 in the second round and close to 30 picks in total. Excellent top end talent and quantity. I don't think they'll break the record of most Swedes drafted in a year, but you can't have it all.

Germany is going to have one of its best drafts ever. Possibly 3 first rounders would be amazing for Germany and even if some of the big three slips to the second round, it is still a good achievement for them. But it is possible that after those three players, there won't be anymore Germans drafted. There a couple of possible draftees, but they are going to be very late picks.

Last year USA had a great draft, but this year is different. We will see if they even get 2 first rounders. Finland is also going to have a weaker draft year. I haven't focused on Russia much to give my opinion on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->