vs
Ovechin
vs
Crosby
vs
Malkin
vs
Lethonen

Wow we will see an awesome race for the Calder this year! Who do you think will grab it?

Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Ryan Suter, Hannu Toivonen, etc. There will be a huge crop of excellent rookies playing in the NHL this year.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Is there any official word on malkin yet? Kinda seems like its all but a sure thing that hes stayin in russia. Man it would make pitts even more interesting if he was there in oct

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think there are three favorites:

Ovechkin
Crosby
Lehtonen

I think both Ovechkin and Crosby could put up solid numbers, and Lehtonen could very well entrench himself as the number one guy in Atlanta.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
And Suter, considering some of those people won't even be in the NHL this year...but Suter almost definitely will ;)

The only hesitation I have with considering Suter a favorite for the Calder is his understated style. I don't know how much attention he'll get "buried" in Nashville.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
The only hesitation I have with considering Suter a favorite for the Calder is his understated style. I don't know how much attention he'll get "buried" in Nashville.

If he can have a Barret Jackman-esque defensive season(he will be used for his defensive merits more than his offensive) then it isn't unreasonable...but...obviously, the favorites have to be Crosby and Ovechkin..

Zaitsev

Nov 25, 2003
Montreal, Canada
nomorekids said:
And Suter, considering some of those people won't even be in the NHL this year...but Suter almost definitely will ;)

you're right but just didnt wanted to write a complete list .. ( 2 lazy? : P ) Suter will have a shot

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
bruins8152 said:
Is there any official word on malkin yet? Kinda seems like its all but a sure thing that hes stayin in russia. Man it would make pitts even more interesting if he was there in oct

Lemieux said he wants to bring Malkin over now. The new IIHF agreement definitely helps. He's in the middle of I believe a four year contract that would be voided if the Pens signed him before the 15th of August.

The Penguins alone have Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and Whitney competiting for the Calder.

Divine Wind

nomorekids said:
If he can have a Barret Jackman-esque defensive season(he will be used for his defensive merits more than his offensive) then it isn't unreasonable...but...obviously, the favorites have to be Crosby and Ovechkin..

I would also tentively add these 2 prospects as dark horses. Any other year they would be top candidates for the cup, but this year is simply going to be be a race like no one has ever seen before.

Thomas Vanek & Zach Parise

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
Dr_Gonz0 said:
I would also tentively add these 2 prospects as dark horses. Any other year they would be top candidates for the cup, but this year is simply going to be be a race like no one has ever seen before.

Thomas Vanek & Zach Parise
Jeez i forgot about those two...

this will be fun :D

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
My money is on Malkin coming over this year. The Penguins have until August 15th to wrest Malkin from his Russian contract, and Pens management has expressed an interest in doing so.

I think it just depends on what Malkin wants to do. He may make a bit more at the moment in the RSL, but his agent knows where the long-term money is. Malkin has reportedly been taking English lessons for a year, so that may be an indication that he's prepared to cross the pond.

Divine Wind

Senor Rational said:
Jeez i forgot about those two...

this will be fun :D

Heh, and the poster below just tossed out Malkin's name, which i also completely forot. Cam Barker has not been mentioned yet, jsut going to show the level of young elite talent being injected into the league this year. Insane when the 3rd overall pick from last year is not even considered a long shot.

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Tomas Vanek anyone?

Oh. Someone already said that. Still. This kid is money. 40ish goals as a rookie last year in the AHL? I think he's ready.

And Crosby, too. Kinda. Maybe. We'll see. ;)

It could even be someone we dont even expect. I mean, what was with last year's race? Remember when hockey news predicited that Soumoveri (spelling way off) guy from tampa being rookie of the year? With Brandon Reid in second? :P

Still. This year rocks. I love prospects. I cant wait!!!!

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
This list is really scary... :eek:

The race is gonna be f*cking exciting !!! :handclap: :handclap:

turnbuckle*

I am new to hockey, and can only judge from what I read here.

My pick is Guillaume Latendresse - he sounds like a good skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->