The Athletic - Boston Best Bruins season ever?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There is no right or wrong answer to this, The Athletic pics the 1970 Bruins.

Best season ever? Let's pick the top squad in the history of...

It is not hyperbole to declare that Orr’s winning goal in overtime of Game 4 in the 1970 Stanley Cup Final qualifies among the NHL’s most significant moments. As Orr sailed into the sky, launched into orbit by St. Louis’s Noel Picard, the defenseman touched off a Cup-winning celebration that ended 29 years of disappointment.

That the 1969-70 Bruins rampaged through the league to claim the Cup was not the only reason the year stands as the franchise’s defining season. The darkness that preceded the championship made the Cup that much more illuminating.

To their fans, they were Bobby, Espo, Chief, Cash, Turk, and Cheesy: icons as much as hockey players. In Boston, the Bruins were like the Beatles, their hair just as long but well short in number of teeth.
It was no surprise, then, that Boston experienced Bruins mania. Would-be ticket holders camped out behind Boston Garden. Mothers, used to being feted on their special day, were practically forgotten when the Bruins bested the Blues in Game 4.

The 1970 Cup should have been one in many. But the Canadiens, backstopped by Ken Dryden, toppled the Bruins machine in 1971. The Bruins roared back in 1972 to win the Cup for the second time in three seasons.
Injuries, expansion, and the introduction of the WHA put an end to the dynasty. That the Big Bad Bruins remain legends speaks to their achievements.

Honorable mention: 2011. Andrew Ference gave the bird to Montreal fans. Alex Burrows nibbled Patrice Bergeron’s finger. A concussed Nathan Horton poured melted TD Garden water onto the Rogers Arena ice. Above everything else, the postseason had out-of-this-world goaltending. Tim Thomas stopped 94 percent of the pucks that Montreal, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and Vancouver sent his way. It was a team that ended a 39-year drought. But they needed seven games in three of the four rounds. The 1969-70 Bruins dispatched their competition with less trouble.

-Fluto Shinzawa

I started following the Bruins when they were the worst team in the NHL by far. The fans were told that the team had signed a 14-year-old that would bring us to the promised land. Fans and media were skeptical and the Bruins actually had Oshawa and Niagara Falls play a couple of games in the Garden to show off Orr. Yet it was another player who we knew nothing about got all the attention. His father told him they like fighters in Boston so make sure you get into a couple of scraps and he did. His name was Derek Sanderson.

There was no drama in the SCF - after sweeping Chicago the Bruins and the fans knew the Cup was ours and the final against St. Louis was just a formality. The only drama was that number 4 scored at 40 seconds of the fourth period in game #4. It is possible you have seen the video of this :D

But 2011 in many ways was better. The team fought back against Poutineville after losing the first 2 at home.

They then extracted revenge over Philadelphia, and then a wonderful 7 game series with Tampa.

A good friend in Chicago told me I would come to hate Vancouver during that series and of course she was correct. The wonderful part of 2011 was nothing was taken for granted. Game 7 in Vancouver started off well but then late in the second period with the B's leading 2-0, Vancouver went on the power play.

AND THEN THIS HAPPENED

That is when we knew the Cup was ours.

:sc09::bruins:sc09:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I was visiting my family in the US recently and saw the NESN 1 hr special on that season. gave me goose bumps it was such an amazing story. Wish I was alive
The lovefest and associated hysteria probably lasted 3 years and it permeated all things. The love for Bobby Orr was simply over the top,bordering on insane.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The lovefest and associated hysteria probably lasted 3 years and it permeated all things. The love for Bobby Orr was simply over the top,bordering on insane.

I was talking to my dad about it and he argued that hockey was getting big in boston before the Bobby Orr led Bruins. He said many of the kids on his team made the NHL out of the boston area. When I saw the documentary they kind of insinuated Bobby Orr brought hockey to boston.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was talking to my dad about it and he argued that hockey was getting big in boston before the Bobby Orr led Bruins. He said many of the kids on his team made the NHL out of the boston area. When I saw the documentary they kind of insinuated Bobby Orr brought hockey to boston.

Rinks were scarce before Bobby. I learned to skate on an outdoor state-run rink on Route 2 (@Gee Wally wasn't it technically in Belmont? ) BC and Harvard owned their own rinks, NU and BU used the Arena as did many high schools. Throw in the Boston Skating Club in Allston and that was about it.

The late 60's saw an explosion of public and private owned rinks.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
even without winning the Cup it has to be 1970-71

57-14-7
399 goals, 108 more than the next team
+192 GF/GA differential
121 points, Presidents Trophy by 12 points.

3 of the top 4 goal scorers in the league
6 of the top 7 assists getters in the league
had the top 4 scorers in the league, and 7 of the top 9

Hart, Rocket, Ross, Norris winners

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

57-14-7
+192 GF/GA differential

One bad period against Montreal and they never recovered :cry:

Orr's worst game of his entire career.

Last edited:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

57-14-7
+192 GF/GA differential

Seriously? Thats insane

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Well,the year before Orr,the Bruins attendance was 11584. In Orr's rookie season it jumped to 12706,then 13832 in his second year and sellouts from then on at 14833. This is what happened at all NHL rinks when the Bruins were in town,Orr was the reason.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Rinks were scarce before Bobby. I learned to skate on an outdoor state-run rink on Route 2 (@Gee Wally wasn't it technically in Belmont? ) BC and Harvard owned their own rinks, NU and BU used the Arena as did many high schools. Throw in the Boston Skating Club in Allston and that was about it.

Yep. The rink sat on the Belmont side of route 2.
Essentially where Belmont, Arlington, and Cambridge all came together.
Spent a lot of days and nights there.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Hell,Roxbury had a rink in Egleston Sq and they had a team in the BNHL.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
So... it seems the consensus is between 1970, 1971, and 2011.

The ‘70 team gets my vote as best Bruins TEAM ever. Supremely talented, tons of awards, a cultural phenomenon, the first or second best player ever (depending on who you ask) and arguably the greatest “moment” in NHL history. Lots of greatness, but they only had three playoff series, one of which was a total mismatch in the finals against a very new expansion team. 1970 can’t get my vote as greatest SEASON.

The ‘71 team had the best REGULAR season in team history, but to say that the ‘71 season was the greatest in Bruins history is like arguing that the Patriots 2007 season was THEIR greatest. Lots of gaudy stats and great players (both teams even had a GOAT), but fell short of complete victory.

The 2011 Boston Bruins season in my opinion is the greatest season in team history. 2011 lacks the talent and star power of the ‘70s Bruins, but they had the greater triumphs and won the ultimate prize.

The 2011 should get the nod just on the postseason alone.

-the Bruins won FOUR playoff series. Previous Bruin Cup winners won only two or three series.

-The Bruins won not one, not two, but three Game 7s!

-The Bruins overcame TWO 0-2 game deficits (Montreal and Vancouver).

-They defeated their all-time bitter rival in OT in Game 7. No other Bruins squad has done that. Doesn’t exactly make up for ‘79, but it was nice to be on the other end for once.

-The Bruins took revenge on the Flyers for the humiliating collapse of 2010. How often do the Bruins get payback against playoff rivals? That was sweet.

-An epic tooth and nail 7 Game conference final.

-One of the most bitterly fought Stanley Cup Finals I can think of, never mind saw. A triumph for the ages.

In history we remember and honor hard won battles. We remember Gettysburg, Normandy, and Iwo Jima not because we cruised to victory over an inferior opponent, but because they were bloodbaths that were far from guaranteed victories - and we prevailed against bitter opposition.

In my humble opinion, the 2011 Boston Bruins season has to be the greatest. No other Bruins team fought a tougher road to the Stanley Cup.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
'For the first time in 39 years... The Boston Bruins have won the Stanley Cup'

Will forever live in my memory bank.

Same. I'm only 33, and my oldest memories of the Bruins only involve Neely and Moog, so I really didn't have to sit through a ton of heartbreak (in comparison to some others around here) before witnessing greatness in 2011. I'd say I only really started to live and die with the Bruins in the mid/late 90's. I used to say I was old enough to know that the Canadiens would find a way to break my heart, but naive enough to still want to see them in the playoffs.

2011 was something special that I don't think can ever be copied. Hell, not even just 2011, I'd say that whole run started in the 07-08 season. The build up over those few years is incredible, enough so that I just might get stuck in a Youtube rabbit hole of highlights later today.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
2011 definitely means more to me than 1970 or 1972. In the '70s I was a little girl and really didn't follow hockey or the Bruins except for what I heard on WBZ radio or Channel 4 news (we couldn't get Channel 38, it came in all snowy).

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad