Best Atmosphere

DustinHall

There is often talk about what leagues are best and to be completely honest, I find that to be a difficult task. Leagues are so different and then if you factor in different sizes playing surfaces, you are almost looking at different hockey altogether.

So, I am curious to know what people think about fans. What leagues, or what specific teams have the best fan experiences?

I am in Canada and I will say that the NHL atmosphere is pretty boring for the most part. My favourite hockey experience here is the first Winter Classic where Crosby scored in the shootout. The experience itself was phenomenal, and I know full well that the snow and my team winning factor into that.

In my travels I have been to a Spengler Cup and it was easily the best fan experience I have ever had. I loved being in the standing room only section and learning the chants and feeling like it was more of a football (soccer) experience and I wished we had standing room sections in the NHL and fans chanting all game and being loud.

I have also played in New Zealand and the fans in Queenstown were great and really into it despite the small rink (that had no glass at the time).

I really like some of the smaller rinks and their ability to take a smaller crowd and make it seem big. I also love that many of the European leagues have such dedicated fans and proud supporters and they love their teams and their results impact the mood of the city.

Let’s hear your experiences and thoughts on fans at hockey around the world.

Reactions: VP

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
I'd say you find the best atmosphere in Europe's big leagues (Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Czech Republic & Germany). As a Swiss I've only been to the first three and they're all pretty good. Czech and German away fans always were great aswell.

If I had to pick though, then Ambri-Piotta from Switzerland get's my vote. Their fans are passionate and loud. Also the atmosphere in their old barn is unique.

Also, I see what you like about the Spengler Cup, happy you enjoyed it. But it's not comparable to a regular league game in Switzerland. Spengler Cup is more of a big party and the spectators are usually less involved in hockey and their clubs than during league games.

Reactions: DustinHall

DustinHall

I'd say you find the best atmosphere in Europe's big leagues (Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Czech Republic & Germany). As a Swiss I've only been to the first three and they're all pretty good. Czech and German away fans always were great aswell.

If I had to pick though, then Ambri-Piotta from Switzerland get's my vote. Their fans are passionate and loud. Also the atmosphere in their old barn is unique.

Also, I see what you like about the Spengler Cup, happy you enjoyed it. But it's not comparable to a regular league game in Switzerland. Spengler Cup is more of a big party and the spectators are usually less involved in hockey and their clubs than during league games.
I wish we had the opportunity here to go see hockey in many countries with ease.

I have found that some of North America’s best hockey rinks are the junior hockey ones out West, but as I am on the East coast of Canada in Nova Scotia, I can’t afford ably get out there. I’d rather see European hockey anyway. When Covid ends I would like to be able to see some hockey in Europe again.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
I wish we had the opportunity here to go see hockey in many countries with ease.

I have found that some of North America’s best hockey rinks are the junior hockey ones out West, but as I am on the East coast of Canada in Nova Scotia, I can’t afford ably get out there. I’d rather see European hockey anyway. When Covid ends I would like to be able to see some hockey in Europe again.
Yeah I can imagine. At least junior hockey is a thing in NA, nobody cares for junior sports here in Europe.

As long as you can't see hockey live, enjoy this video from Ambri fans against their local rival some years ago.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This was incredible. I would have never guessed that there was this kind of fan experience in Poland.
Cracovia is a special case though. Since the same club has a fairly big football team these are basically football fans supporting their club during the hockey playoffs. In most other Polish arenas the atmosphere is fairly meh.

In the old days, there was quite a lot of that hockey fan in the winter, football fan in the summer dynamic. I suppose it's pretty similar in USA, most hockey fans support one of the "summer sport" teams. The difference is you are often supporting the same club in both cases, in Europe.

The league which has been overlooked so far in this thread is the Austrian one, some places there like Bolzano have a spectacular atmosphere as well.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The biggest problem in Poland is that the federation is an embodiment of incompetence and the competitions are organized terribly. So everything kind of relies on external factors and stars to align. Regarding multisectional clubs there are also some like Gieksa that have fallen deep in soccer but remain top class in hockey. So they get to play traditional rivals that they are otherwise denied.

Bolzano/Bozen is definitely good, and in Italy there's also a lot of potential, but like Poland their continuity has been an issue, with everything in the end relying on village clubs in German-speaking areas. I wish there was a team in Milan that survived for longer than a few years.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Cologne, Düsseldorf, Mannheim

Berlin's Ostalgic crowd is up there too if not the best. But I think in Germany smaller barns are generally more enjoyable, like Düsseldorf too lost something when they moved from the Brehmstraße to the sterile ISS Dome.

Yellow and the green

Dec 26, 2020

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
DINAMO RIGA! Obviously! 7-1 down to Moscow, only won 8 games all season but the rink is still the loudest around. Plus we have our own song:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad