News Article: Best and Worst Teams at Finding NHL Players from the Draft

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Interesting perspective: Ottawa does well drafting.

“This is the third and final article about the topic of finding NHL players from NHL Drafts. I have been going through a span of 10 years – from the year 2000 to 2009 – and reviewing the results from different angles. In the first article (link), I focused on general probabilities of finding NHL players from a draft and different parts of the draft. In the second article (link), I broke those results down by positions to see what kind of differences there are between forwards, defensemen and goaltenders.”

Best and Worst Teams at Finding NHL Players from the Draft – Hockey Prospects – DobberProspects

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting perspective: Ottawa does well drafting.

“This is the third and final article about the topic of finding NHL players from NHL Drafts. I have been going through a span of 10 years – from the year 2000 to 2009 – and reviewing the results from different angles. In the first article (link), I focused on general probabilities of finding NHL players from a draft and different parts of the draft. In the second article (link), I broke those results down by positions to see what kind of differences there are between forwards, defensemen and goaltenders.”

Best and Worst Teams at Finding NHL Players from the Draft – Hockey Prospects – DobberProspects
From 2000 to 2009, hell yeah we did well at drafting.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
These things are interesting but they're also quite biased. Good/rich rosters are hard to crack. Filip Chlapik might end up a draft "hit" for Ottawa. Same player drafted by most other teams and it's a miss. Do Condra, Gryba, or Greening get opportunities on the NHL rosters of most other teams? I'm not so sure. Sens are cheap and not very good, so we have to go to the cupboards more to graduate homegrown talent.

Similarly, some drafts are way better than others and almost everyone in the top two rounds hits. With all our high picks, if 2020 turns out to be that year, we're going to look like scouting geniuses in these kinds of metrics. (Please, please god let this happen).

Reactions: variable26

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The article is based on 10 year old data from a previous regime. Completely useless.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The article is based on 10 year old data from a previous regime. Completely useless.

The entire thing is useless you can be a crap team that plays a player who does not belong in the NHL for a year and half and you get credit for being great at drafting. You also get full marks for drafting Yak first overall and full credit for drafting cowen 9th overall.
It is a poorly chosen model

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
From 2000 to 2009, hell yeah we did well at drafting.

I suppose it's sarcastic cuz it's only due to 2008 and 2009 (Murray, just after Muckler) that were fantastic and also before Muckler in 2001 with the help of a 2nd OA pick which was acquired by trade. But even without Spezza, it would have been a good draft.

But the article only looks at it from an overview standpoint anyway, it's not team by team

Did you open it? Because it's not about the Ottawa Senators.

The entire thing is useless you can be a crap team that plays a player who does not belong in the NHL for a year and half and you get credit for being great at drafting. You also get full marks for drafting Yak first overall and full credit for drafting cowen 9th overall.
It is a poorly chosen model

Don't really like this argument. If you can play at the NHL level, you play. There is no crap player in the NHL lol. Even a talented hockey player like Corey Locke only played 9 NHL games because the pace is too fast for him. Sure a guy like Francis Lessard will get a bunch of games to close out a lost season, but normally, it's the best 22 guys in an entire organization that are regulars. A lot of injuries or a rebuild (trades) can force you to play guys that are more suited for the AHL but I don't think a cup-of-coffee player is regarded as a draft success anyway, depends which round I guess

An important thing is teams used to have more "role player" but it's kinda disappearing and the world talent has been expanding so you will see less and less players that are not as good as others. If they look bad to the public eye, it's not because they are crap hockey players (lol), it's because the best players in the world make them look bad.

I have read that argument about so many Sens players but yet, they were acquired or hired by other teams. You have to take in consideration that unless you're really super good at hockey, it's extremely difficult to stay in the NHL. You have to be really dedicated and in shape but the "young guns" are coming every year and they are here to get your job. It's almost the whole world talent pool and a very limited number of jobs. That is why not all careers are meant to be very long, it's actually more the exception than the norm.

Erik Condra for example, he looked like a pretty efficient bottom-6 forward for a few years in Ottawa : total 372 NHL games.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I suppose it's sarcastic cuz it's only due to 2008 and 2009 (Murray, just after Muckler) that were fantastic and also before Muckler in 2001 with the help of a 2nd OA pick which was acquired by trade. But even without Spezza, it would have been a good draft.

But the article only looks at it from an overview standpoint anyway, it's not team by team

Did you open it? Because it's not about the Ottawa Senators.

Don't really like this argument. If you can play at the NHL level, you play. There is no crap player in the NHL lol. Even a talented hockey player like Corey Locke only played 9 NHL games because the pace is too fast for him. Sure a guy like Francis Lessard will get a bunch of games to close out a lost season, but normally, it's the best 22 guys in an entire organization that are regulars. A lot of injuries or a rebuild (trades) can force you to play guys that are more suited for the AHL but I don't think a cup-of-coffee player is regarded as a draft success anyway, depends which round I guess

An important thing is teams used to have more "role player" but it's kinda disappearing and the world talent has been expanding so you will see less and less players that are not as good as others. If they look bad to the public eye, it's not because they are crap hockey players (lol), it's because the best players in the world make them look bad.

I have read that argument about so many Sens players but yet, they were acquired or hired by other teams. You have to take in consideration that unless you're really super good at hockey, it's extremely difficult to stay in the NHL. You have to be really dedicated and in shape but the "young guns" are coming every year and they are here to get your job. It's almost the whole world talent pool and a very limited number of jobs. That is why not all careers are meant to be very long, it's actually more the exception than the norm.

Erik Condra for example, he looked like a pretty efficient bottom-6 forward for a few years in Ottawa : total 372 NHL games.

Either way all most all top 5 and majority of the top ten will get 99 games, the GM used a huge asset and they will be given a longer look, late in the second you might draft for position instead of taking the BPA, so it says nothing of how good you are at drafting.
This is also a huge factor when taking a goalie as a longshot. And cracking a weak linep for 100 games then never plaing again should not have more value than drafting guys like marner and Karlsson.
And no just because you squeezed in 100 games does not mean you were a full value max credits draft pick and it does not mean any other team would have given you that many games.
Or if you play a guy for 60 games decide he isn't good enough have an injury and call him up again instead of burning a ELC it should not be worth more than drafting zibby

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad