Best and Worst Draft Teams since 1980

Seanconn*

pretty simple, what teams made the absolute worst draft choices in hindsight...

and which Teams made the best choices. and i guess which ones just did "okay" :laugh:

discuss.

Ottawa and Winnipeg come to mind as two of the worst, while Detroit seems to be the clear cut number one. considering how many amazing players they drafted outside of the first round...

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Detroit has been the best drafting team in the last 30 years hands down.

Ottawa and Winnipeg havent been the best although both teams have doen better in the last couple of years, particualrily Phoenix.

Another team that hasn't drafted well is Vancouver. For every jewel of the Canucks in drafting a Bure there are 3 or 4 Nathan Smith's lurking in the background.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
columbus has an appallingly low amount of guys who worked out, and almost all of the ones who did are high first rounders. part of that credit probably also goes to poor player development and being a mickey mouse franchise though. zherdev and filatov, who looks like zherdev jr., could probably have been handled better.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Florida perhaps? How can you be that terrible for so long and not improve...........ever. A lot of their guys didn't pan out. Stephen Weiss, Olli Jokinen are good but at the slot they were drafted they should be borderline stars. Neither are. Drafting Jay Bouwmeester was something we all would have done, but after almost 10 years in the NHL nobody has told him he probably can skate faster than anyone on the ice and he should, you know, have the confidence to do so. Either way he's a player who has never reached his potential, and never will.

As a Leaf fan I will maintain the Leafs have terrible luck in drafting. I'll ignore the fact that Burke made probably the worst trade in franchise history in acquiring Kessel so that we DON'T get the 2nd overall pick in 2010 but even if you ignore that the Leafs have drafted poorly. Jeff Farkas, Antropov, Luca Cereda, Boyes, Colaiacovo, Alexander Steen, John Doherty are names of their first draft picks each year pre-lockout. Boyes is the only one I'd be proud to call my own. Not to mention the stubborness of the Wilson/Burke plan in 2009 that they had to win the last game of the season in order to get out of the top 5. This enabled them to draft Kadri over Schenn - so far a poor choice. 2008 they did the same thing, they won at the wrong time and this pushed them away from the Stamkos sweepstakes and got them Luke Schenn who is fine, but will never carry a team.

Here's the kicker, in 2002 the player drafted after Steen was Cam Ward. Joseph was about to be gone and the Leafs didn't have a goalie. It would have been smart to pick him but alas, these are the Maple Leafs.

Play4Miracles*

Talk about broad ranging speculation.

I tell you what, anybody who wants all of my vCash can have it, IF they make a NHL draft history website that details how many NHL games have been played by each and every player ever selected by each and every team. AND gives a TOTAL detailed statistics analysis AND even differentiates from players selected by the club that have not produced games (points, PIM, etc.) with the club that selected those players.

That would take a lot of time and data entry!

My guess, since 1980? The Oilers.

Since 1990? Detroit or New jersey.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Who's the most notable St. Louis Blues draft pick since 1990? TJ Oshie? Barret Jackman? Ottawa fans probably hope it'll wind up being Rundblad.

They had Brind'Amour and Gilmour in the 80's but dealt both.

They were so bad they just gave up on the 1983 draft. Well not really, but they didn't use their picks.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Though they've done well in recent years, Leafs drafting in my lifetime has been god awful. Only Tomas Kaberle turned out to be a star. Felix Potvin had some good moments, ditto for Brad Boyes, Yannic Perreault wasn't bad. Sergei Berezin was decent and Danny Markov wasn't too bad. And then... What? A bunch of meh. That 89 draft has to be one of the worst drafts by a single team in ages (though it was a pretty bad year in general). Thornton, Pearson and Bancroft all in the first round. Yikes.

PlagerBros*

Who's the most notable St. Louis Blues draft pick since 1990? TJ Oshie? Barret Jackman? Ottawa fans probably hope it'll wind up being Rundblad.

Perron, Pietrangelo, Berglund, Oshie, Polak, Backes, McClement, Jackman, Nagy, Reasoner, Hecht, Handzus, Mayers, Grier. No stars so far, but some very good, solid players.

They had Brind'Amour and Gilmour in the 80's but dealt both.
Hedican, Hebert, Emerson, Ronning,

They were so bad they just gave up on the 1983 draft. Well not really, but they didn't use their picks.

The NHL and Ralston Purina screwed the Blues over. Purina was trying to sell the team and didn't care and the NHL couldn't be bothered to make sure they had people to make the picks. One of the biggest jokes in NHL history.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
i dont know how anyone can claim ottawa as being one of the worst. every single draft (save one) they picked up atleast one serviceable nhler, which would make them an average drafting team. not good, not bad.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Don't want to spend too much time on it but I think my B's are probably in the lower third for drafting since 1980.

Not many studs, some good players (with far too many doing it for other teams), a lot of role players and far too many duds...especially in the top rounds.
- One of their first rounders never played in the NHL.
- From 1980 - 2007, 9 of their first rounders played less than 100 games in the NHL, (although Normand Leveille had a ton of potential but suffered a severe stroke)
- 2 more first rounders played just over 100 games.
- The entire 9 picks from 1996 saw 2 players, #1 pick Jonathan Aitken and Trent Whitfield, play a grand total of 237 games, totaled 11 goals / 30 points / -15
- 2002 had 2 of 8 players in the NHL with 152 games between. GK Hannu Toivenen 18-24-10 .890% 3.37 GA and F Yan Stastny 6-10-16 -20

It's only been in the last 6 or 7 years that they've become consistent with their drafts.

STUDS
Ray Bourque - 1979
Joe Thornton - 1997 (IMO, borderline until he wins a Cup)

GOOD
Barry Pederson - 1980
Tom Fergus - 1980
Steve Kasper - 1980
Dave Reid - 1982
Don Sweeney - 1984
Randy Burridge - 1985
Craig Janney - 1986
Glen Wesley - 1987 (Bruins and NE/Carolina)
Joe Jumeau - 1988 (Journeyman)
Bryan Smolinski - 1990 (Journeyman)
Josef Stumpel - 1991 (Bruins / LA)
Glen Murray - 1991 (Bruins / LA)
Sergei Samsonov - 1997
Patrice Bergeron - 2003
David Krejci - 2004
Milan Lucic - 2006
Phil Kessel - 2006

ROLE PLAYERS
Randy Hillier - 1980
Michael Thelven - 1980
Gord Kluzak - 1982 (would've bee a good one if it weren't for the injuries)
Brian Curran - 1982
Lyndon Byers - 1982
Bob Sweeney - 1982
Neven Markwart - 1983
Allen Pedersen - 1983
Bob Beers - 1985
Bill Ranford - 1985 (mostly with Edmonton)
Greg Hawgood - 1986 (Journeyman)
Stephane Quintal - 1987 (elsewhere)
Ted Donato - 1987
Steve Heinze - 1988
Wes Walz - 1989 (Journeyman)
Mariusz Czerkawski - 1991
Sergei Zholtok - 1992 (Journeyman)
Mattias Timander - 1992 (Journeyman)
Kevyn Adams - 1993 (Jorneyman)
Shawn Bates - 1993 (Journeyman)
Hal Gill - 1993
John Graheme - 1994 (Journeyman)
Andre Roy - 1994 (Journeyman)
PJ Axelsson - 1995
Sean Brown - 1995 (mostly Edmonton)
Kyle McLaren - 1995 (Bruins / Sharks)
Ben Clymer - 1997 (Journeyman)
Antti Laaksonen - 1997 (Journeyman)
Andrew Raycroft - 1998 (Journeyman)
Nick Boynton - 1999 (Boston / Journeyman)
Andy Hilbert - 2000 (Journeyman)
Shaonne Morisonn - 2001
Andrew Alberts - 2001
Milan Jurcina - 2001
Mark Stuart - 2003
Kris Versteeg - 2004
Matt Hunwick - 2004
Vladmir Sobotka - 2005
Brad Marchand - 2006

TOO EARLY TO TELL?
Zach Hamill - 2007
Joe Colborne - 2008
Jamie Arniel - 2008
Jordan Caron - 2009
Tyler Seguin - 2010

popculturereference

Feb 1, 2009
The Ottawa Senators are one of the worst teams at drafting? They have a terrible prospect pool now, but man, look at their drafts in the 90s to early 00s. They developed the third best player in the first round of the horrid 1999 draft. It was the 26th pick! That alone should be worth a top-10 spot.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The Wings draft record isn't as flawless as you'd think. Some great European steals in the late rounds obviously and Yzerman was a pretty great pick at 4 overall too, but then you look at their first round record since 1984 and it's a bit underwhelming for sure.

Shawn Burr
Brent Fedyk
Joe Murphy
Yves Racine
Mike Sillinger
Keith Primeau
Martin Lapointe
Curtis Brown.
Anders Eriksson
Yan Golubovsky
Maxim Kuznetsov
Jesse Wallin
Jiri Fischer
Niklas Kronwall
Jakub Kindl

Best player out of the lot is probably between Primeau and Kronwall but that's not exactly great bounty for that time span and up to the early 90s those tended to be fairly high picks too.

And one can wonder, you pick Leetch over Murphy in 86, Jagr or Brodeur over Primeau in 90, Sakic over Racine in 87..and I realize every team has loads of this but as a fan it's a tempting thought.

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
For me it would be the MN North Stars and the 83 draft. They chose Brian Lawton
1st overall. Comming out of that draft Yzerman, Lafontaine, Barrasso, and Neely to name a few.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
A quick stab at some of the Sabres' better picks (not counting most prospects) - and I'm sure I missed a bunch of guys. In no particular order:

Forwards:
Andreychuk
Pierre Turgeon
Ray Sheppard
Tyler Ennis
Vanek
Clarke MacArthur
Stafford
Derek Roy
Pominville
Maxim Afinogenov
Brad May
Donald Audette
Benoit Hogue
Christian Ruutu
Curtis Brown
Kotalik
Gerbe
Agitator Line: Rob Ray - Matthew Barnaby - Kaleta

Defense:
Tyler Myers
Uwe Krupp
Philippe Boucher
Calle Johansson
Brian Campbell
Dmitri Kalinin
Sean O'Donnell
Jay McKee
Cory Sarich
Henrik Tallinder
Joe Reekie
Sekera
Dennis Wideman
Keith Ballard
Mike Weber

Goalies:
Ryan Miller
Martin Biron
Tom Barrasso
Darren Puppa
Mika Noronen
Jhonas Enroth

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here's a team made up of players the Kings have drafted since 1980:

Luc Robitaille-Anze Kopitar-Michael Cammalleri
Kevin Stevens-Jimmy Carson-Dustin Brown
Martin Gelinas-Bernie Nicholls-Alexander Frolov
Eric Belanger-Olli Jokinen-Jim Fox
David Steckel-Robert Lang-Jeff Tambellini
George Parros-Brian Boyle-Wayne Simmonds

Rob Blake-Drew Doughty
Alexei Zhitnik-Larry Murphy
Darryl Sydor-Lubomir Visnovsky
Garry Galley-Kimmo Timonen
Andreas Lilja-Joe Corvo
Aki Berg-Denis Grebeshkov

Jonathan Quick-Cristobal Huet-Jonathan Bernier-Jamie Storr

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
pretty simple, what teams made the absolute worst draft choices in hindsight...

and which Teams made the best choices. and i guess which ones just did "okay" :laugh:

discuss.

Ottawa and Winnipeg come to mind as two of the worst, while Detroit seems to be the clear cut number one. considering how many amazing players they drafted outside of the first round...

Do you know what you're talking about?

Alfredsson
Spezza
Hossa
Havlat
Volchenkov
Demitra
Phillips
Karlsson
Foligno
Meszaros
Gleason
Laich
Vermette
Zanon
Kelly
Fisher
Neil
Arvedson
Salo
Rachunek
Berard
Bonk
Yashin
Daigle (yes, even Daigle)

Winnipeg:

Hawerchuk
Zhamnov
Selanne
Tkachuk
Khabibulin
Doan
Numminen
Ward
Ulanov
Barnes
Draper
Marchment
Olausson
Essensa
Steen
Christian
Babych
B. Mullen
Ellett

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
The Lightning have been terrible from their creation till I would say since 2008 with signs of turning it around. Before that their pipeline was non existent.

Notable players (using notable very loosely here):
Vincent Lecavalier (no brainer)
Brad Richards (picked purely for Vinny)
Chris Gratton
Paul Mara
Roman Hamrlik
Daymond Langkow
Bryce Salvador
Jay Rosehill
Blair Jones
Jason Wiemer
Alexander Svitov
Nikita Alexeev
Fredrik Norrena
Dmitry Afanasenkov
Pavel Kubina
Paul Ranger
Mike Lundin
Evgeny Artyukhin
Ryan Craig
Nick Tarnasky
Matt Smaby
Karri Ramo
Dana Tyrell

Several went on to have very good NHL careers, but most not with the Lightning.

Last edited:

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
New Jersey makes a top-third showing:

Martin Brodeur
Scott Niedermayer
Ken Daneyko
Pat Verbeek
Chris Terreri
Eric Weinrich
Brendan Shanahan
Patrick Elias
Zach Parise
John MacLean
Kirk Muller
V. Fetisov
Sean Burke
Bill Guerin
Brian Rolston
Jim Dowd
Jason Smith
Sergei Brylin
Colin White
Stephen Yelle
Jay Pandolfo
Brendan Morrison
Sheldon Souray
Steve Sullivan
Petr Sykora
Mike Van Ryan
Mike Commodore
Paul Martin
Travis Zajac
Brian Gionta

Plus, NJ has some prominent undrafted free agents like Brian Rafalski and John Madden.

Lineup:

Parise-Muller-Shanahan
Elias-Rolston-Verbeek
MacLean-Zajac-Guerin
Sykora-Madden-Morrison

Niedermayer-Fetisov
Fetisov-Daneyko
Martin-White

Brodeur
Burke

Ogopogo*

You will NEVER find a better draft record than that of the Edmonton Oilers between 1979-1981. Drafting 5 HOFers in 2 years is craziness.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You will NEVER find a better draft record than that of the Edmonton Oilers between 1979-1981. Drafting 5 HOFers in 2 years is craziness.

Detroit Red Wings:

1989-1991:

Sergei Fedorov
Nicklas Lidstrom
Vladimir Konstantinov
Mike Sillinger
Dallas Drake
Bob Boughner
Vyacheslav Kozlov
Keith Primeau
Martin Lapointe
Chris Osgood
Mike Knuble

is pretty damn impressive

Pittsburgh 2003-2005 is getting better all the time too and might look unreal in 15 years:

Fleury
Crosby
Malkin
Letang
Goligoski
Carcillo
Kennedy
Moulson

BamBamCam*

Don't want to spend too much time on it but I think my B's are probably in the lower third for drafting since 1980.

Not many studs, some good players (with far too many doing it for other teams), a lot of role players and far too many duds...especially in the top rounds.
- One of their first rounders never played in the NHL.
- From 1980 - 2007, 9 of their first rounders played less than 100 games in the NHL, (although Normand Leveille had a ton of potential but suffered a severe stroke)
- 2 more first rounders played just over 100 games.
- The entire 9 picks from 1996 saw 2 players, #1 pick Jonathan Aitken and Trent Whitfield, play a grand total of 237 games, totaled 11 goals / 30 points / -15
- 2002 had 2 of 8 players in the NHL with 152 games between. GK Hannu Toivenen 18-24-10 .890% 3.37 GA and F Yan Stastny 6-10-16 -20

It's only been in the last 6 or 7 years that they've become consistent with their drafts.

STUDS
Ray Bourque - 1979
Joe Thornton - 1997 (IMO, borderline until he wins a Cup)

GOOD
Barry Pederson - 1980
Tom Fergus - 1980
Steve Kasper - 1980
Dave Reid - 1982
Don Sweeney - 1984
Randy Burridge - 1985
Craig Janney - 1986
Glen Wesley - 1987 (Bruins and NE/Carolina)
Joe Jumeau - 1988 (Journeyman)
Bryan Smolinski - 1990 (Journeyman)
Josef Stumpel - 1991 (Bruins / LA)
Glen Murray - 1991 (Bruins / LA)
Sergei Samsonov - 1997
Patrice Bergeron - 2003
David Krejci - 2004
Milan Lucic - 2006
Phil Kessel - 2006

ROLE PLAYERS
Randy Hillier - 1980
Michael Thelven - 1980
Gord Kluzak - 1982 (would've bee a good one if it weren't for the injuries)
Brian Curran - 1982
Lyndon Byers - 1982
Bob Sweeney - 1982
Neven Markwart - 1983
Allen Pedersen - 1983
Bob Beers - 1985
Bill Ranford - 1985 (mostly with Edmonton)
Greg Hawgood - 1986 (Journeyman)
Stephane Quintal - 1987 (elsewhere)
Ted Donato - 1987
Steve Heinze - 1988
Wes Walz - 1989 (Journeyman)
Mariusz Czerkawski - 1991
Sergei Zholtok - 1992 (Journeyman)
Mattias Timander - 1992 (Journeyman)
Kevyn Adams - 1993 (Jorneyman)
Shawn Bates - 1993 (Journeyman)
Hal Gill - 1993
John Graheme - 1994 (Journeyman)
Andre Roy - 1994 (Journeyman)
PJ Axelsson - 1995
Sean Brown - 1995 (mostly Edmonton)
Kyle McLaren - 1995 (Bruins / Sharks)
Ben Clymer - 1997 (Journeyman)
Antti Laaksonen - 1997 (Journeyman)
Andrew Raycroft - 1998 (Journeyman)
Nick Boynton - 1999 (Boston / Journeyman)
Andy Hilbert - 2000 (Journeyman)
Shaonne Morisonn - 2001
Andrew Alberts - 2001
Milan Jurcina - 2001
Mark Stuart - 2003
Kris Versteeg - 2004
Matt Hunwick - 2004
Vladmir Sobotka - 2005
Brad Marchand - 2006

TOO EARLY TO TELL?
Zach Hamill - 2007
Joe Colborne - 2008
Jamie Arniel - 2008
Jordan Caron - 2009
Tyler Seguin - 2010

Ahhh man, nice post, this made me go look at the Bruins draft history, there's some names I completely forgot. Cameron Mann (Mini Cam), Lars Jonsson, Mikko Eloranta, Jonathan Girard, kid from my hometown Bobby Allen, Johnathan Aitken, Jon Rohloff, and what could have been with Normand Leveille, I could name more.

Anyhow, it looks like our best drafting year was 1980, 1982 with 1997 being our best with Thornton, Samsonov, Laaksonen and Clymer but that's not hard to do when you have the number 1 and 8in the draft. I do like last years draft, that has major potential to be something great. But overall, yeah, we are a bottom 1/3 drafting team if not a bottom 5 drafting team.

Derick*

Detroit has been the best drafting team in the last 30 years hands down.

Ottawa and Winnipeg havent been the best although both teams have doen better in the last couple of years, particualrily Phoenix.

Another team that hasn't drafted well is Vancouver. For every jewel of the Canucks in drafting a Bure there are 3 or 4 Nathan Smith's lurking in the background.

There were 4 Nathan Smiths?

You'd think they'd know not to draft the other three after they'd already tried out one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad