Best Amateur Scout/Scouting Staff

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm sure the scouts of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Ottawa and all the other very smart clubs appreciate when their teams develop players patiently and properly.

There's some very good scouts on dumber clubs shaking their heads at how certain guys are handled too.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Under Trevor Timmins, he's had 32 draft picks appear in an NHL game out of 82 picks between 2003 and 2013 draft classes. The Habs have made the playoffs 7 of the last 11 years (not counting the lockout year) so it's not like they have had too many top 10 picks (only 2 inside the top 9, Price/Galchenyuk)

Going into this season his draft picks have appeared in 7186 games, here's the breakdown of games played by draft class,

'03- 1699
'04- 1846
'05- 1454
'06- 226
'07- 1314
'08- 0
'09- 69
'10- 251
'11- 88
'12- 194
'13- 45

Here's how a all Timmins picks lineup that have appeared in more then 82 NHL games looks like,

Pacioretty (22nd)- Galchenyuk (3rd)- Gallagher (147th)
S.Kostitsyn (200th)- Grabovski (150th)- A.Kostitsyn (10th)
Latendresse (45th)- Chipchura (18th)- Lapierre (61st)
Ryan White (176th)- D'Agostini (190th)

McDonagh (12th)- Subban (43rd)
Emelin (84th)- Streit (262nd)
Beaulieu (17th)- Yannick Weber (73rd)
O'Byrne (79th)

Price (5th)
Halak (271st)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Blues:
Schwartz
Tarasenko
Fabbri
Jaskin
Parayko
Edmunson
Sobotka
oshie

Lehtra is a pro signing

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Really hard to top what Al Murray has done for Tampa Bay since 2011. It's like he creates star players out of thin air (Johnson--a hand-picked signee--and Palat), and shakes decent players out of his hair (Paquette, Namestnikov).

Then there's Syracuse, where it looks like we still have at least five sure-bet NHLers developing.

And the next wave of talent looks no less promising. Brayden Point has something like 10 points in his first 3 games back in the WHL and is, I believe, the leading candidate to captain Team Canada at the WJC. And Denis Yan has put up back to back hat trick, five point games.

Sick stuff.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Being a USHL nut, I can say Winnipeg's Max Giese is one of the best in the business as far as USHL goes.

Judd Brackett of Vancouver has been a great USHL scout and now is the Director of Amateur scouting for the Canucks

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Being a USHL nut, I can say Winnipeg's Max Giese is one of the best in the business as far as USHL goes.

Judd Brackett of Vancouver has been a great USHL scout and now is the Director of Amateur scouting for the Canucks

I might be totally wrong, but I know a former HF Sharks poster is now an amateur scout with WIN, and his name sounds familiar to me, so it could very well be him.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I'm sure the scouts of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Ottawa and all the other very smart clubs appreciate when their teams develop players patiently and properly.

There's some very good scouts on dumber clubs shaking their heads at how certain guys are handled too.

That's pretty much it, scouting is only half of the battle, development is the other.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I like what Tampa has done. They are almost up there with Detroit who are undisputed #1 at drafting.

Does any other team in the NHL have more drafted players playing on their NHL team than Detroit currently does?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
As a Wings fan I really like what the Ducks and Jets have done over the last couple of seasons.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I might be totally wrong, but I know a former HF Sharks poster is now an amateur scout with WIN, and his name sounds familiar to me, so it could very well be him.

Yeah, that's him. He's done well and the Jets seem to have a lot of confidence in him with how much they've gone for drafting from the USHL it seems.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Yeah, that's him. He's done well and the Jets seem to have a lot of confidence in him with how much they've gone for drafting from the USHL it seems.

Do you know more about his background in scouting, so how did they find him, because I doubt they found himmon HF :laugh:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Do you know more about his background in scouting, so how did they find him, because I doubt they found himmon HF :laugh:

I know he was doing scouting even while he was a poster, but I'm sure he got the job the regular way by handing in a portfolio and resume when a position opened up. He may have also been doing some part-time work for the Jets beforehand as well.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011

He came up through the ranks I believe. NAHL to start, then he was the director of personnel for the Chicago Steel of the USHL, and now with Winnipeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad